Adding existing C# library project

Hi,

I have created an C# Android Application and seen it working fine in the emulator.
And I have added my existing C# library which was made in VS2010 with .Net Framework 4.0
But when I tried to add it to the reference, it says (Imcompatible target framework: .NetFramework, Version=v4.0).
How can I make .Net Framework 4.0 compatible to the Android application?

• JonathanPryorJonathanPryor USXamarin Team Xamurai

How are you adding your existing C# library? As a project reference or as a file reference? As far as I know, you shouldn't be able to reference a .NET library project from and Android Application project...

Assuming you're referencing a .dll, you need to rebuild the .dll from source within an Android Library project. You can do this by creating a new Android Library project and link your source code into it.

• 9tontruck9tontruck CAMember

So basically I can't directly import my .Net class library which was built in VS2010?
    I should re-write all of the c# code in Android Library project again right?

So basically I can't directly import my .Net class library which was built in VS2010?

Not directly.

I should re-write all of the c# code in Android Library project again right?

You shouldn't need to rewrite your existing C# code. You just need to link your existing C# code into an Android Library project and fix any build errors due to missing types/assemblies/etc.

Please see the Setting Up A Xamarin Cross Platform Solution documentation for more information.

edited April 2013

Thanks for the replies, but do you have any examples about linking? Sorry I am pretty new to linking projects.

Let's assume I created a "Visual C# Class Library" in VS2010 like:
    BaseClass.cs

using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Text;

namespace BaseClass
    {
        public class BaseClass
        {
            public string getStringTest()
            {
                return "hi Android from C#";
            }
        }
    }

and VS2010 gives me BaseClass.dll once it's built.

And I want to display the message from getStringTest() on the Android/IOS emulator using Xamarin Studio without rewriting anything. What is the next step I should do?

Would you please write me some steps simply?

Within your Android Application solution:

1. Within Solution Explorer, right-click the Solution node > Add > New Project...
    2. Within the Add New Project dialog, in the left-hand tree select Visual C# > Android. Within the middle panel select Android Class Library. Enter a Name such as BaseClass.Android, then click OK.
    3. Within Solution Explorer, right-click the BaseClass.Android project > Add > Existing Item... Navigate to your C# source code from your BaseClass.dll project and select the file. To the right of the Add button is a downward-facing arrow; click it, then click Add As Link.

Add As Link

4. Within Solution Explorer, right-click your Android Application project's References node > Add Reference.... In the left-hand tree, select Solution > Projects. In the middle panel select your BaseClass.Android project, then click OK.

5. Build.

Awesome.. Thanks for the reply.
    I have one last question :D
    After adding BaseClass.Android project into reference, I should make an object of BaseClass ** and call **getStringTest() but the Android Application project does not know if there is such a class and a method in the linked dll.

I believe I should make an interface of the class. Would you please give me the last advice to complete to call getStringTest()?

Thanks,

After adding BaseClass.Android project into reference, I should make an object of BaseClass and call getStringTest() but the Android Application project does not know if there is such a class and a method in the linked dll.

Odd; it should work. Does it change if you close and re-open the Solution?

I believe I should make an interface of the class.

You should only need to migrate to interfaces and (optionally) Inversion of Control (IoC) containers if you're dealing with platform-specific code and you don't want #ifs in your codebase. You are not yet at that point, not for BaseClass.getStringTest(). Something else is going awry.

Hi Jonathan,

I tried a couple of times more and my Android application project can't still find BaseClass from the linked dll. Can I send you my sample code files through email and let you take a look please? If you are okay, can you let me know your email addr?

edited April 2013

Okay.

When I add BaseClass.cs as a link, it works.
    But adding BaseClass.dll as a link does not work.
    I do need to know how to import .dll file because of the complexity of my library.
    Can you please tell me how?

• FZelleFZelle DEMember ✭✭✭

Is it realy that hard to understand?

1. You can't just compile a DLL for Windows and then ad this as a reference to an Android Project.
    2. So you have to compile a Android Class Library and then add the reference (like in every .NET project ) to your project.
    3. So you don't have to rewrite everything you have done in Windows you link the CS files into this class library project.

Dude. I know how to import and add my cs files into the Android Application project.
    But Jonathan mentioned that he can add the ".dll" file into Android Library project as a link and it should all work fine. Did I understand his reply incorrectly?

But Jonathan mentioned that he can add the ".dll" file into Android Library project as a link and it should all work fine. Did I understand his reply incorrectly?

Yes, you misread my reply. I wrote:

... Navigate to your C# source code [ed: emphasis added] from your BaseClass.dll project and select the file.

Emphasis on source code. Assemblies are not source. I did not mean to imply in any way that you could add binary assemblies as links to a project.

• SreerajSASreerajSA USMember

I also have the same problem which Devon mentioned. How can I create an object of a Class inside the .Net assembly which is linked with .Android Assembly?

• MihaMarkicMihaMarkic SI ✭✭✭✭

You might consider using Portable Class Libraries. Create a new library of type PCL (make sure that checkbox Xamarin.Android is checked) and reference it from Android application.
    These type of libraries can be shared among different platforms.