Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Information: problems update XF to unified / AppleDevice / Xamarin.Mobile / XLabs

FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Unbelievable, but true.
I now have wasted more than two days to search problems and bring my app to work again.
I wrote here in the hope, I can prevent other developers to do the same odyssey... :smirk:

My app is based on the template: Blank App (Xamarin.Forms Shared).
I actually have installed XF 1.4.1-pre-1 and (thought), I had updated to iOS unified months ago. ..
I have done the update to unified according to the description here:

(including running the migration-tool)

I now want to use some services from XLabs 2.x (e.g. device-service).

Therefore, I have implemented the services according to some partial descriptions, I have found.
I was able to implement the service in Android and WP.
By doing the implementation in iOS, I had the problems to register the service (AppleDevice) with:

var container = new XLabs.Ioc.SimpleContainer();
container.Register<IDevice>(t => AppleDevice.CurrentDevice); 


"t => AppleDevice.CurrentDevice" "Cannot convert lambda expression to type 'System Type' because it is not a delegate type"

I then have searched for information’s and found a message from another user that had the same-problem, as he don’t had migrated to unified…
I then have checked my references and … had to note, that I still had the old references, although, I have thought, I have done the migration a longer time ago.

Then, I have run the migration-tool once again, without success (nothing happened).
Then, I have read the migration-guide once again and also the guide, how to migrate an iOS-project:

In the description to “1. Update Project Type & Build Target” I have seen, that - in the description - the (to change) key is I uppercase (in my .csproj-File, it was in lowercase):

Change the project flavor in your csproj files from 6BC8ED88-2882-458C-8E55-DFD12B67127B to FEACFBD2-3405-455C-9665-78FE426C6842. Edit the csproj file in a text editor, replacing the first item in the element as shown

I then have changed the key to uppercase and re-run the migration tool:

  • By the first try a “meaningful” error-message was showed ("an error has occurred" :sunglasses:)
  • By the second try, there were showed some messages to my .cs-files (so that I have seen, that the tool has done “something” (not sure as the uppercase-change was the reason, that it have done something).
    Then I have removed the namespace “monotouch” in my usings manually, de-installed and re-installed all NugGet-packages.

After doing that, all Xamarin-references in my iOS-Project were changed to the new api:

Then I had a problem with Xamarin.Mobile (what I need for Geolocation).
I was not able, to compile my iOS-project as the following error-message was showed:

'Xamarin.iOS.dll' is referenced explicitly, while 'monotouch.dll' is referenced by 'Xamarin.Mobile, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'. (MT0034) (########)

I then first looked for an update to in NuGet.Manager and also on the web-interface of NuGet and found… nothing (latest available version 0.7.1).
I further was not able to remove the with NuGet and also not to update the package in the NuGet-console…

I have then (by chance) looked also to the in the component-store:

and… was very surprised, as I found an version 0.75 there (including a small note to the unified-update).

So it will not be too easy, the package cannot be installed with NuGet-manager/console.
First, I have downloaded the package (after login with my Xamarin-Account), then I wonder, how to get the software in my project (as I also not have found any description, how to do this).

I the have searched further and have found, that components can be installed, by right-click the entry “components“ to the project and then select “Edit Components” / “Get more components”.

I then have select “Get more components”, searched the Xamarin.Mobile Component (0.75) and added it to the iOS-Project.

After that, I was able to compile my iOS-project again and also the Device-Service (from XLabs) seems to work now.

If (you think), you already have migrated to unified, it may be a good idea to check the references in your iOS-project:
=> the Xamarin-references should be on: \lib\Xamarin.iOS10\ (not on \lib\MonoTouch10)

If you use / want to use with unified, you have to install it manually

If you want to use XLabs 2.x, you may also find this information’s useful

Hope this helps somebody…

Sign In or Register to comment.