MonoDroid does not support running the previous version

Jochem-de-KruijfJochem-de-Kruijf USMember
edited August 2015 in Xamarin.Android

Hello,

First of all I am a student and new since tomorrow to xamarin.

Earlier today I build a first demo app and it run perfectly on my htc desire.
Now when I try make a new project and run it, it doesn't show my phone and when I close it it gives the error:

MonoDroid does not support running the previous version. Please ensure your solution builds before running or debugging it.

Any suggestions?

Greetings Jochem

• Thanks JonP,

I'm gonna take extra attention to that tomorrow.

• zombeezombee GBMember

I'm getting the same error, but the build is successful!

• zombeezombee GBMember

Ah! Did some extra investigation and I am not getting the error, "AndroidManifest.xml already defines debuggable" how can I solve this?

Many Thanks in advance.

• zombeezombee GBMember

Sorry, I've got NOT on the brain, I mean I am getting an error! LOL

• delancollinsdelancollins USMember

I get same error and i dont have any build error

• nprokopicnprokopic RSMember ✭✭

I had the same error when I tried to deploy my Xamarin Android app to a LG L Fino smartphone. It was quite strange since I deployed the same app to an Acer Liquid Jade S55 literally 5 minutes before that and I didn't make any changes in my code.

Few hours later I figured out that the smartphone itself was the problem, since it didn't have enough storage (apparently ~170MB was not enough although the app required no more that 20MB).

I figured this out after trying to deploy other (pure Java Android) app via Android Studio to the same phone, and while Visual Studio was saying "MonoDroid does not support running the previous version..." the Android Studio message clearly said that there isn't enough available storage.

Hope it helps someone.

• gegagomegegagome USMember

I can build to iOS from Mac or Visual Studio no problem.

Somehow when I build for Android or WinPhone I get some silly error, like the one addressed in this post.

Help please

• MarkKeaveneyMarkKeaveney GBMember

I get the same when creating an empty shell of a project.

• PatrickRamirezPatrickRamirez USMember

same goes to me

• pratiuspratius USMember

Please help on this issues......

Issues -Build Failed: MonoDroid does not support running the previous version. Please ensure your solution builds before running or debugging it.

• ThalesRochaThalesRocha USMember

The visual studio 2012 (windows 7) show me the same message, but there is no erros on build, just warnings. The project in solution is the base project created when I create a new solution (Build App [Xamarin.Forms Portable]), nothing more. The IDE create three projects on solution:
    1. App
    2. App.Droid
    3. App.iOS

I tried run the android project with AVD 2.3.3, 3.1 and 4.4.2, and i hadn't success. In all cases the build show me this message:

System.Exception: Build started.
    @(Content) build action is not supported
    Project file contains ToolsVersion="12.0". This toolset is unknown or missing. You may be able to resolve this by installing the appropriate .NET Framework for this toolset. Treating the project as if it had ToolsVersion="4.0".
    Project file contains ToolsVersion="12.0". This toolset is unknown or missing. You may be able to resolve this by installing the appropriate .NET Framework for this toolset. Treating the project as if it had ToolsVersion="4.0".
    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Csc.exe /noconfig /nowarn:1701,1702,2008 /nostdlib+ /errorreport:prompt /warn:4 /define:DEBUG;TRACE;__XAMARIN_ANDROID_v1_0__;__MOBILE__;__ANDROID__;__ANDROID_1__;__ANDROID_2__;__ANDROID_3__;__ANDROID_4__;__ANDROID_5__;__ANDROID_6__;__ANDROID_7__;__ANDROID_8__;__ANDROID_9__;__ANDROID_10__;__ANDROID_11__;__ANDROID_12__;__ANDROID_13__;__ANDROID_14__;__ANDROID_15__ /errorendlocation /preferreduilang:en-US /reference:"C:\Users\005629\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\App2\App2\App2\bin\Debug\App2.dll" /reference:"C:\Users\005629\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\App2\packages\Xamarin.Forms.1.3.3.6323\lib\MonoAndroid10\FormsViewGroup.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v4.0.3\Mono.Android.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\mscorlib.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\System.Core.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\System.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\System.Xml.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\System.Xml.Linq.dll" /reference:"C:\Users\005629\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\App2\packages\Xamarin.Android.Support.v4.21.0.3.0\lib\MonoAndroid10\Xamarin.Android.Support.v4.dll" /reference:"C:\Users\005629\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\App2\packages\Xamarin.Forms.1.3.3.6323\lib\MonoAndroid10\Xamarin.Forms.Core.dll" /reference:"C:\Users\005629\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\App2\packages\Xamarin.Forms.1.3.3.6323\lib\MonoAndroid10\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.dll" /reference:"C:\Users\005629\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\App2\packages\Xamarin.Forms.1.3.3.6323\lib\MonoAndroid10\Xamarin.Forms.Xaml.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Collections.Concurrent.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Collections.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.ComponentModel.Annotations.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.ComponentModel.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.ComponentModel.EventBasedAsync.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Diagnostics.Contracts.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Diagnostics.Debug.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Diagnostics.Tools.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Diagnostics.Tracing.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Dynamic.Runtime.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Globalization.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.IO.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Linq.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Linq.Expressions.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Linq.Parallel.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Linq.Queryable.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Net.NetworkInformation.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Net.Primitives.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Net.Requests.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.ObjectModel.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Reflection.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Reflection.Emit.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Reflection.Emit.ILGeneration.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Reflection.Emit.Lightweight.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Reflection.Extensions.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Reflection.Primitives.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Resources.ResourceManager.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Runtime.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Runtime.Extensions.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Runtime.InteropServices.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Runtime.InteropServices.WindowsRuntime.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Runtime.Numerics.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Runtime.Serialization.Json.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Runtime.Serialization.Primitives.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Runtime.Serialization.Xml.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Security.Principal.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.ServiceModel.Http.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.ServiceModel.Primitives.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.ServiceModel.Security.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Text.Encoding.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Text.Encoding.Extensions.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Text.RegularExpressions.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Threading.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Threading.Tasks.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Threading.Timer.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Xml.ReaderWriter.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Xml.XDocument.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Xml.XmlSerializer.dll" /debug+ /debug:full /filealign:512 /optimize- /out:obj\Debug\App2.Droid.dll /target:library /utf8output MainActivity.cs Resources\Resource.Designer.cs Properties\AssemblyInfo.cs "C:\Users\005629\AppData\Local\Temp\MonoAndroid,Version=v4.0.3.AssemblyAttributes.cs"
    App2.Droid -> C:\Users\005629\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\App2\App2\App2.Droid\bin\Debug\App2.Droid.dll
      Processing: obj\Debug\res\values\styles.xml
    C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\\bin\keytool.exe -list -alias androiddebugkey -storepass android -keypass android -keystore "C:\Users\005629\AppData\Local\Xamarin\Mono for Android\debug.keystore" 
    "keytool.exe" exited with code 1.
    Build FAILED.

• Rayhan_KhanRayhan_Khan USMember ✭✭

I am also suffering in same problem when I start the hello world aplication in visual studio 2013. I tried a lot. Please help me some one. If Xamarin team did not give us quick solution then as a starter like m eeverybody will be misguided and will leave to develop in xamarin. Please Xamarin team help us.

• Rayhan_KhanRayhan_Khan USMember ✭✭

I am getting this error. Pls some one give me solution.

• EdwinSEdwinS USMember ✭✭

same here...

• ChrisFletcherChrisFletcher USMember

Xamarin is without doubt the worst thing I have encountered in my time learning to program.

The basic project created when you start an Android app doesn't even compile - whether in Visual Studio or Xamarin Studio. No one seems able to provide any insight on why this happens or what to do about it. Basically if you get a compile error when you create a new app you're basically f***** and you may as well just give up learning to program Android apps before you've even started!!!! What a joke.

• JaykeBirdJaykeBird USMember

I kept getting this message too. I have a suggestion that may or may not help: before building and trying to deploy, make sure you either have a phone hooked up to your computer and set in debugging mode, or have a virtual device running on your computer, and ready to accept packages. I kept getting this message simply because I had nothing to run the app on; it seems this message just appears for basically any error at all...

• Agreed, apps will run if there is already a VM already running on virtualbox (Launch it from the Xamarin Android Player). If you try to launch the VM from visual studio it doesn't open the app.

• EidHireEidEidHireEid USMember

First of all I am a student and new since tomorrow to xamarin.

Earlier today I build a first demo app and it run perfectly on my htc desire.
    Now when I try make a new project and run it, it doesn't show my phone and when I close it it gives the error:

MonoDroid does not support running the previous version. Please ensure your solution builds before running or debugging it.

please giveme the sulation.

thanks...

• The emulator must be running and match the target version.
    First go to the Properties settings for the .Android project and check the “Compiled using Android version”
    Then start the appropriate emulator. Tools > Android > Android Emulator Manager…
    Wait until the Home screen renders in the emulator.
    Then start debugging.
    Click the apps button in the emulator and find your app.

• JoeMellinJoeMellin USXamarin Team Xamurai

Hi All,

We are working to fix this issue and improve this error message.

In the mean time, please visit this Stack Overflow page to learn about potential causes & solutions for this error.

• CarlosGoveaCarlosGovea MXMember

I found a solution!!!!!!!! : http://stackoverflow.com/a/32905044/5400758

• Solution - Restart PC

• m_ostadim_ostadi Member

i change the cable and its work

• subramanyamnuggusubramanyamnuggu Member ✭✭✭

HI Everyone,

Build Failed: Xamarin.Android does not support running the previous version. Please ensure your solution builds before running or debugging it.

I am getting the above error when its been deployed on OPPO which is using android 6 , but when I deployed in OPPO which is using android 9 its working fine . So what will be the solution for this.

Please share any solution if someone found . Thanks in Adavance

• this is a 6 year old thread but still thanks for the update