CocosSharp Getting Started Tutorials

bryancbryanc USXamarin Team, XamUProfessors Xamurai
edited February 2015 in CocosSharp

They're still fairly basic, but you can find them here. They've largely been created by Victor Chelaru (creator of FlatRedBall and a game development veteran).

Let us know what types of things you want to see covered, and we can adjust priorities.

• StanleyMorrisStanleyMorris USMember

Is there just a "hello world" or even a "here is a blank screen" setup for CocosSharp on the Mac? Not IOS or Android. I have downloaded and have files everyone and ten tabs in my browser and everything seems to assume step one. How does this get into Xamarin and then How do I use it? I have programmed XNA before and don't anticipate that to be an issue.

• kjpou1kjpou1 LUMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai
  • I would like some basic documentation on the differences between each type of CCNode. How does each type work? What is the difference between CCGeometryNode and CCDrawNode? How would I just draw a simple red rectangle node in the scene? Why doesn't using a CCNode with a color, position, and size work? Why do I have to specify coordinates for the rectangle when using CCDrawNode when the base CCNode has position and size? The design of SpriteKit on iOS makes perfect sense to me, but I am having trouble with CocosSharp and its design. I am missing some basic overall architecture docs.

• kjpou1kjpou1 LUMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Shawn

Here are simple example code for CCDrawNode and CCGeometryNode.

CCDrawNode - allows you to draw geometry and is more of a high level 2D graphics stack. Does not support texture mapping.
    CCGeometryNode - Is lower level and you will need to create your own 2D primitives your self by mapping your own Vertices and Indices. This also allows the mapping of texture.

As mentioned in another response you can use a simple CCSprite to do what you would like instead of CCDrawNode.

There are some code samples in our Samples. Two examples of CCGeometryNode are Spine and another is a port of the 2D drawing stack of XNA's LilyPath that we have in our samples call CSLilyPath. CSLilyPath Screen shots here:

• JaiJai USMember ✭✭

Any updates on this? It was posted in February! I'm having a really hard time getting started with this when all of the tutorials are for the previous version (using CCApplication / CCApplicationDelegate). There are a lot of vague references to "everything else is exactly the same", but that doesn't explain enough for starting from scratch.

How about tutorials done somewhere else?

Anyone?

• mpupmpup USMember

There is a form example :

https://github.com/mono/cocos-sharp-samples/tree/xamarin_forms/GoneBananasForms

Should inform you of everything you need to get started.

• @Jai said:
    Any updates on this? It was posted in February! I'm having a really hard time getting started with this when all of the tutorials are for the previous version (using CCApplication / CCApplicationDelegate). There are a lot of vague references to "everything else is exactly the same", but that doesn't explain enough for starting from scratch.

How about tutorials done somewhere else?

Anyone?

I personally agree with you here mate. I'm just starting out with CocosSharp after making a demo app using Xamarin Forms and all the documentation still uses the CCApplicationDelegate.

I'll have to check out the forms example posted. Theres not much of a tutorial telling on what parts do what, but I guess that's just part of learining: get thrown into a pool of code and figure out how everything works together.

• Victor.ChelaruVictor.Chelaru USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@DominicFoulkes , @Jai I'm actually working on updating the documents right now. If all goes as planned they should be ready to go this week, rewritten to handle working with CocosSharp 1.7.1.0. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Thanks again to everyone who has mentioned the out-of-date docs. They've been updated with the latest CocosSharp release.

• Hi Victor, Could you post the link to the updated documentation?

• michaelwarnesmichaelwarnes USMember ✭✭

Hi Victor, would be great to see some updated documentation

Sorry for the late reply. Here's the "Bouncing Game" guide, updated to the latest CocosSharp:

https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/game_development/cocossharp/first_game/

A few guide replacements are also being worked on to update them to the latest version of CocosSharp. I'll post links when they're available.