Using built-in Barcode Scanner(Wait for user input)

CodyRousseauCodyRousseau USUniversity ✭✭✭

I have a Xamarin.Forms app in which I injected code for a built-in barcode scanner on an Android device.
I am able to get the scanner to turn on in my app, but it still runs the method and does not wait for my device to pick up a barcode.
Is there any code to wait for user input on my device?

Thanks.

• MarkSmith.8123MarkSmith.8123 USXamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai

Hi @CodyRousseau,

I'm not sure I understand the question. Is it that the barcode reader code isn't waiting for a bar code? Or that you are wanting to get the user to input something first? Can you give some more details about what you want to do?

Thanks!
    mark

• CodyRousseauCodyRousseau USUniversity ✭✭✭

The barcode reader is not waiting for the barcode.

I turn on the scanner through code, the code continues execution(ex. it tells me that the barcode is null/no value, when I haven't scanned anything yet.

• MarkSmith.8123MarkSmith.8123 USXamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai

Where did you find the barcode scanner code? I'm guessing there is something that you need to do to tell it to wait; there won't be anything in Xamarin.Forms for this - it's going to be something specific to that bit of code or API you are using.

You are right; I needed a component from the distributor. Thanks.

• AxelStallknechtAxelStallknecht DEUniversity ✭✭

@CodyRousseau Hey Cody, which type of scanner do you use ? Symbol/Motorola ? Intermec ? In the moment we use Intermec CK 3 with WindowsMobile, but we plan to replace them with Android models, so I'm interested in your experiences.

Symbol TCH70. Although I have been unable to use the barcode scanner without the DataWedge app as a "helper".