Can I use Xam.Forms with the indie licence for Windows Phone?

I searched the forum but could not find a clear answer. Whenever I try to build a test project in VS, it asks me for the business license. Is there a solution that does not involve paying 3*$999?

This is for a (small) open-source project. I want to convert an existing Windows Desktop app to mobile, so Xamarin is/was my first choice. But it looks like I have to use native or Phonegap :-(

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, you can use Indie license. But you can't create a Xamarin solution directly in VS with Indie license. You have to create the base project in Xamarin Studio either on a Mac or on a Windows machine. Then open it in VS and add a Windows Phone Silverlight project, install Xamarin.Forms NuGet package and reference the base PCL / Shared project in the WP one.

Try it out and let me know if you have any issues.

• AntonTAntonT DEMember

Thanks, I will test it!

• AntonTAntonT DEMember

.>You have to create the base project in Xamarin Studio either on a Mac or on a Windows machine. Then open it in VS and add a Windows Phone Silverlight project, install Xamarin.Forms NuGet package

Done

and reference the base PCL / Shared project in the WP one.

I am not sure how to do that?

... whatever I do in VS Studio brings up the Xamarin license dialog (see screenshot)

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh! Sorry, only Windows Phone projects can be run / tested in VS. With Indie license you can't test Android or iOS apps. If you want to manage all 3 types from VS you need Business license. Why not use Xamarin Studio on Windows for Android projects?