XAML, DataBinding and local database

AymericAymeric FRMember ✭✭

Hey, I've a very basic app with two tables : Product (name, quantity) and Category.

When selecting a product from a ListView, I want to display its Name, Quantity and Category. The Product's Category is registred as the ID of the Category. I want to display its Category's Name rather than its ID.

Making it in pure code, I could easily make a method for getting the category name associated to an ID, however in my case I'm using XAML. And I don't really know how to achieve it. What is the best way to handle this?

<ContentPage xmlns="http://xamarin.com/schemas/2014/forms" xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2009/xaml" x:Class="ProductXAML" Title="Product">
    <StackLayout VerticalOptions ="FillAndExpand">
        <StackLayout Orientation="Horizontal">
            <Label Text="Name :" />
            <Label Text="{Binding Name}" />
        </StackLayout>

<Label Text="Quantity :" />
            <Label Text="{Binding Quantity}" />
            <Stepper x:Name="quantity" Minimum="0" Increment="1" Value="{Binding Quantity}" IsVisible="false" />
        </StackLayout>

<Label Text="Category :" />
            <Label Text="{Binding Category}" />
        </StackLayout>
    </StackLayout>
</ContentPage>

• PaulDistonPaulDiston USUniversity ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

One way to achieve this is to add a new property in your ViewModel, which would allow for a call to the database to populate the Category based on the Id you have defined.

Another way to achieve this is when creating your ProductViewModels, you will have a Product and a Category from the database, you can then create a ProductViewModel based on these two Model objects.

Just a note, a ViewModel does't have to have a one to one relationship with your Model objects, you can as suggested above combine models to produce a more complete ViewModel object.

Hope this helps.

Paul Diston