iOS Launch Images not showing up

I hate to ask a question that I know there must be an easy answer to, but for the life of me I can't get iOS to launch with the right launch images!

I have edited the iOS settings, and moved the assets to Asset Catalogues. Then opened up that Contents.json and added images for each box. No cigar. Everytime I launch, I get a blue background with my app icon centered in the middle.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• JeffRushJeffRush USMember ✭✭

I'm having the same issue. I've gone into the project properties and set the three launch images (320x480, 640x960, 640x1136), yet the iOS Simulator keeps using a "generic" launch screen that is white with the app name and my name on it. I don't have this issue with any old apps -- this is only happening with my new app.

• Chris.3704Chris.3704 USUniversity ✭✭

Thanks Kevin. That solved my launch screen issue.

Chris

• Chris.3704Chris.3704 USUniversity ✭✭

Thanks Kevin. That solved my launch screen issue.

Chris

• BradWhiteBradWhite USMember

@Francisco.7655

Took me a while to figure that out too.
    Command-2
    or
    Command-3
    to scale the simulator.

• BradWhiteBradWhite USMember

@KMullins, thanks, that pointed in the right direction.
    I cleared the dropdown box and that didn't have any effect.
    But went to Info.plist source and cleared the reference out of the XML and that did it.

Thanks,
    Brad.

• ThibaultDThibaultD SEMember ✭✭✭

@KMullins then documentation at:
    https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/ios/application_fundamentals/working_with_images/launch-screens/#Managing_Launch_Screens_with_Asset_Catalogs
    Is incomplete.

Point 2, the screenshot clearly shows the use of the LaunchScreen xib and there's no mention of clearing that field.

• GWilkoGWilko USMember

@KMullins and @BradWhite - you are both legends. Thank you!!

• devsdevs USMember

Thanks Kevin. That solved my launch screen issue too. Cheers.

• EdmundSecatoreEdmundSecatore USMember ✭✭
    edited May 2016

For the life of me I can't get the launch screens to show at all. They used to work, I changed nothing and they all of a sudden stopped showing. Now no matter what I try they simply do not show. I've tried the above solutions and there is no change all I get is the 'app name' screen in stead of the image(s). What the heck am I missing here? My launchScreen drop down is empty, every resolution images is added and the correct size ( I triple checked ). I don't care about the images, but I can't get approved without them or I wouldn't bother.

Edit: Deleting the Launchscreen.xib file from my project causes the proper launch screen to show when run on an IPhone but the IPad now shows a black screen instead of anything. I am using Xamarin IOS by the way.

I have been trying this for hours in every combination the IPad launch screen just doesn't show. HELP!!!

• DenisGordinDenisGordin RUMember ✭✭

@EdmundSecatore I have same problem.
    Looks like only one way to solve problem it is use xib's.

• EdmundSecatoreEdmundSecatore USMember ✭✭

It took tons of fiddling, switching the project to a IPad only, then IPhone only, deleting and readding the images over and over and over and over, then it just starts working again.

• KonradMllerKonradMller USMember ✭✭

Just a quick add to the answer from @KMullins because i just wasted 10 mins searching for that "clear" button :
    You have to click on the dropdown and delete the text, thats how you clear a dropdown apparently ...

• DerekClarkDerekClark USMember ✭✭

any other ideas on this? I've tried xib, storyboard, and asset catalog for this. splash screen used to show, and at some point in a recent update it just stopped. I did change from iphone only to universal during that time period, but going back to just iphone doesn't bring the launchscreen back.

i've gone back and forth, deleting images and re-adding, deleting xib's, deleting storyboards, making sure they aren't in plist anymore. Only get a white screen no matter what i change.

• joehannajoehanna AUBeta ✭✭
    edited July 2016

@DerekClark Same here. I followed the tutorial at https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/ios/application_fundamentals/working_with_images/launch-screens/ so I setup a StoryBoard with an image in it and I still get the vanilla white screen with just the app name and copyright notice. I am using the latest Stable Channel tools: XS 6.0.1, Xamarin.iOS 9.8.1.4.

Any other ideas @KevinMullins ?

• AdrianKnightAdrianKnight USMember ✭✭✭✭

@FranciscoGG Were you able to solve the zoom issue? I have the same problem.

• AdamZucchiAdamZucchi USUniversity, Developer Group Leader ✭✭

@FranciscoGG & @AdrianKnight - You may want to look at whether or not a particular user setting is on, go to Settings - Display & Brightness - Display Zoom (View). Standard is the default on iOS but users may turn on "Zoomed" which changes the display scale on the device. You can read that value using the following:

UIScreen.MainScreen.NativeScale

• JimTyminskiJimTyminski USUniversity ✭✭

I have tried everything in this thread, but my iOS (forms) app still shows the default Xamarin app icon and launchscreen

• @FranciscoGG & @AdrianKnight & @AdamZucchi I have the same problem and the problem is not coming from user settings, did you found the solution?

• FranciscoGGFranciscoGG ESMember ✭✭

I remember that I had to configure properly the LaunchImages in Info.plist file:

<key>UILaunchImages</key>
    <array>
        <dict>
            <key>UILaunchImageMinimumOSVersion</key>
            <string>8.0</string>
            <key>UILaunchImageName</key>
            <string>Default-667h</string>
            <key>UILaunchImageOrientation</key>
            <string>Portrait</string>
            <key>UILaunchImageSize</key>
            <string>{375, 667}</string>
        </dict>
        <dict>
            <string>8.0</string>
            <string>Default-736h</string>
            <string>{414, 736}</string>
        </dict>
        <dict>
            <string>8.0</string>
            <string>Default-Portrait</string>
            <string>{768, 1024}</string>
        </dict>
        <dict>
            <string>7.0</string>
            <string>Default-568h</string>
            <string>{320, 568}</string>
        </dict>
        <dict>
            <string>6.0</string>
            <string>Default</string>
            <string>{320, 480}</string>
        </dict>
    </array>

• @KMullins said:
    All,

You need to clear the Launch Screen dropdown selection in the Launch Screen section of the Info.plist editor. Right now you are telling iOS to use the LaunchScreen.xib (or storyboard) as launch screen instead of the images you have included in the app's bundle.

Thanks,

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, that worked for me too.

Remember to Clean Solution (in Visual Studio) and delete the app folder from /Users/xxx/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds on the Mac - then rebuild.

/Mikkel

• AlenMilakovicAlenMilakovic USMember

I work in Visual Studio 2015 Pro with Xamarin Forms. To solve the launch screen problem I deleted this from the Info.plist file:

UILaunchStoryboardName
    LaunchScreen.storyboard

• Greg767Greg767 CHMember ✭✭

In a Xamarin Forms project I use LaunchScreen.storyboard and the only thing works when the launch image disappears on iOS is to alter the resource image name, update the LaunchScreen.storyboard with the new name and rebuild.

• KiloKilo USMember

@Greg767 said:
    In a Xamarin Forms project I use LaunchScreen.storyboard and the only thing works when the launch image disappears on iOS is to alter the resource image name, update the LaunchScreen.storyboard with the new name and rebuild.

Don't ask me how, why, or what but this works like a charm.

• SandeepAkhareSandeepAkhare USMember

@Greg767 said:

Perfect ! Saved my day