[Xamarin Blog] Creating Your First Watch Kit App

CraigDunnCraigDunn Craig DunnUSXamarin Team Xamurai
edited February 2015 in Xamarin.iOS

Just posted: Creating Your First Watch Kit App on the Xamarin Blog.

Read the full article to learn how to create an Apple Watch Kit app using Xamarin's latest preview release supporting Xcode 6.2 beta 5. Check out our Watch Kit Preview documentation for more info.

Use this thread to discuss or ask questions.

• CraigDunnCraigDunn Craig Dunn USXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited February 2015

Slides from the video also available to view.

I also blogged about building a slightly more functional Watch Kit app.

There's also a Todo list watch sample, a Calculator, and an integration with Instagram.

• niramax2niramax2 Max Nira USMember

@CraigDunn Now that there is Apple Watch Kit support, when could we see the unification of this and Android Wear to be provided within Xamarin Forms?
    I assume it is already on some roadmap some where?

Thanks.

@niramax2 it's not obvious that watches could ever easily fit into Xamarin.Forms - certainly not with any expectation of being able to use the same controls that we currently support across multiple platforms. The watches are very different from each other (and from phones/tablets)... at least phones and tablets have a lot in common (same gestures, same keyboard capabilities, same UI controls, etc).

Xamarin lets you share common C# code across Android Wear and Apple Watch apps, and build them in your favorite IDE on Mac or Windows (* not yet for Apple Watch). I would advise taking advantage of these capabilities to build Xamarin-platform apps for Android Wear and Apple Watch, creating custom interfaces for each one that takes advantage of the unique hardware and capabilities of each.

• FrankAKruegerFrankAKrueger Frank A. Krueger USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭

Is there any documentation on how to sign these things?

For example, when I create a WatchKit app in Xcode and then build, it creates provisioning profiles for the iPhone app and watch extension, but not for the watch app.

However, when I try to deploy with Xamarin, I keep getting the error that the watch app needs a provisioning profile. Have you created provisions for all 3 apps?

I can't find any docs on this, let me know if I missed them.

Hey @FrankAKrueger... no, you have not missed those docs (still working on it). I'll post more when I know.

• MichaelBluesteinMichaelBluestein Michael Bluestein USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭

I created provisioning profiles for the IOS app and the watch extension (explicitly created profiles for these so I could use a shared app group), and left the watch app set to automatic provisioning.

Another note:

(it's possible to) successfully create WatchKitCatalog.ipa using Distribution provisioning profiles and from Xamarin Studio->Archive. I set a specific distribution profile for main app and set watch extension and watch app to Distribution: Automatic.

More info as it comes to hand...

• DavidGerdingDavidGerding David Gerding USMember, University

What is the "granularity" of [Action ("button1_Activated:")] ... is there _Down _Up etc... ? What I'm really after is some way to get fast x y or touch on are region of the watch screen. Lots of little buttons seemed worth a shot.

Ideas?

@DavidGerding no, the current version of WatchKit does not provide that granularity. There is no equivalent to TouchUpInside, etc like iOS; nor can you detect the X,Y coordinate of a touch. The only thing you can handle is a button being 'touched'.

Lots of little buttons might be technically possible, but remember in this version of the SDK every touch triggers a bluetooth call back to the phone to run the button's event handler.

• Alessandra.2152Alessandra.2152 Alessandra USMember

@CraigDunn said:
    Hey @FrankAKrueger... no, you have not missed those docs (still working on it). I'll post more when I know.

Hey @CraigDunn, any news?

• Alessandra.2152Alessandra.2152 Alessandra USMember
    edited January 16

Solved, i found what i was looking for here