Forum Visual Studio

Issues with new iOS Designer

Hi
First of all, could someone please tell me how to configure xamarin studio to launch the new iOS designer instead of xCode? At the moment, if I double click the .storyboard file, it opens inside xamarin studio and displays the xml contents of the file.
Secondly, since I installed the latest Alpha, when i try to build my solution I get the following error message:
Error: A valid Xcode installation could not be found. If your copy of Xcode is installed to a non-standard prefix, please specify the location in Xamarin Studio's Preferences under 'SDK Locations'.
Thanks

• joehannajoehanna AUBeta ✭✭

I get the same error from the beta version:

Error: A valid Xcode installation could not be found. If your copy of Xcode is installed to a non-standard prefix, please specify the location in Xamarin Studio's Preferences under 'SDK Locations'.

• TonyFonagerTonyFonager DKInsider ✭✭

I think that issue is NOT related to the new iOS designer, but the fact that you have upgraded your Xcode installation to 4.6.2.

Xcode 4.6.2 currently is incompatible with Xamarin Studio, so you are advised to downgrade to Xcode 4.6.1, to make it work again.

• ThomasWoodsThomasWoods GBMember

I rolled back to xCode 4.6.1 and all is working fine now. Thanks for the advice.

• DanOlssonDanOlsson USMember

This is good to know, however I have 4.6.1 and I'm not sure how I can get Xamarin Studio to launch the new designer. When I open the xib's it opens up Xcode. Am I missing something here?

I have switched to the Alpha channel, and gotten the updates which included the designer. Hmm....

• DanOlssonDanOlsson USMember

It seems that this is all my misunderstanding. It doesn't open xib's, but StoryBoard's. Doh! Please ignore....

• avi22228avi22228 USMember

I've updated to the latest beta., I didnt see any iOS Desginer.

Should I updated to alpha versions ???

Am I missing something ??

• HuGuangYuHuGuangYu CNBeta

Hi, @avinash. Only the storyboard files can be opened by the new iOS designer.

• avi22228avi22228 USMember

Thanks @Simon. I'm trying to open a .StoryBoard file and its opening up in Xcode. I tried messing up with the small setting icon, next to it but no luck.

May be I will upgrade to the latest alpha and will try.

Thank you ...

• BrandonGWorkBrandonGWork USMember

I downloaded the most recent alpha and tried to open my storyboard in the new designer. It never renders and eventually displays an error. I also noticed a DesignServer process taking 100% CPU that I have to quit. My storyboard isn't very complex.

I have however been successfully opening a storyboard in a new solution. Has anyone else had success opening an existing solution?

• AlanMcGovernAlanMcGovern USXamarin Team Xamurai

BrandonG, would you be able to share that storyboard file with us? If you can email it to [email protected] I should be able to debug the issue.

Avinash, can you click on Xamarin Studio -> About Xamarin Studio -> Show Details and then append the contents of that to the thread. I just want to verify you have Xamarin Studio > 4.1.0 and Mono > 3.0.10

@Alan, the file is on its way. Thanks for looking into this.

I received your file, I'm going to debug the issue shortly and we should (hopefully) have a fix for the next release. Thanks!

I justed tested the newest alpha and my storyboard displayed almost instantly. Thanks for the quick bug fix!