Mass find and replace doesn't work well

nick5454nick5454 Nicholas TurnerUSUniversity ✭✭

Just letting you know I did a replace on "Console.WriteLine" with "BBDebug.WriteLine_String".

There was an error and I have the BBDebug.WriteLine_String everywhere. In comments, deletes half of my code in properties and methods all over the place. Screwed up 200 files.

Just FYI Xamarin. I know to never use that feature again

• mhutchmhutch Mikayla Hutchinson USXamarin Team Xamurai

Sorry about this, it seems to be a regression caused by the parallel search we introduced in 5.7. It should be fixed in 5.8, but I'll look into getting it backported into 5.7.

• nick5454nick5454 Nicholas Turner USUniversity ✭✭

Ok, luckily it's in source control because I had to revert all the code. No biggie.

• WhitneyLandWhitneyLand Lee Whitney USMember

This is really bad. It's flat out data corruption and can (did for me) cause a lot of backtracking through version control and rebuilding of changes.

You mention a regression but the bug is still marked as fixed. Does it need to be updated?

• T.J.PurtellT.J.Purtell T.J. Purtell USMember

This completely corrupted my workspace and cost me hours to get back the non corrupted pieces of work I needed :- :- :- XD XD

Yes, I chose to make a mental point that this method doesn't exist nor will I ever acknowledge it's existence. Unless i'm bored and would like to code and marge for hours for no reason at all.

• MatthewMerricks.2573MatthewMerricks.2573 Matthew Merricks USMember
    edited September 2016

WTF does Xamarin Studio not have a find and replace at all??? The one for Mac does not work at all, unless after 10+ years of professional coding, I have somehow become inept at performing a find and replace. Xamarin = Microsoft = FIX THIS NOW! To mi amigos this works fine as a part time solution http://textmechanic.com/text-tools/basic-text-tools/find-and-replace-text/

Im sorry did I say find and replace doesn't work I was wrong, it has maliciously trashed my code, with no signs of reason!

Undo and Redo sucks too, what is going on, this is not acceptable. You shouldnt even publish a product without these features working realiably.

WTF there goes a few hours of work time wasted!!!!!!

@MatthewMerricks.2573 said:
    WTF does Xamarin Studio not have a find and replace at all??? The one for Mac does not work at all, unless after 10+ years of professional coding, I have somehow become inept at performing a find and replace. Xamarin = Microsoft = FIX THIS NOW! To mi amigos this works fine as a part time solution http://textmechanic.com/text-tools/basic-text-tools/find-and-replace-text/

Let me correct you on this Xamarin is bought by Microsoft, therefore it won't be fixed. They will slowly shrink all Mac versions of Studio. Raise the prices, remove features and tell you to buy a crappy PC so you can use the feature on VizStudio! Forums don't get answered unless you have a XamU account. More bugs will get ignored because you should be following the latest and greatest.

That's the life of a Microsoft developer and now is a Xam developer. I waited 6 months for a simple answer that cost me projects and only was even slightly viewed until I created a bug and re-opened it 1 or 2 times, cant remember. I use Xam for small projects now, sad as that may be. I'm not re-translating back.

Never ever use Find-Replace and never trust it even if they note fixed. Its the law.

@nick5454 my friend, never have more wiser words been spoken. I know exactly what you mean, in fact Im a microsoft developer by trade, and have had to put up with their ish for years now... i could go on for days, but the find and replace thing is very sad, it literally trashes your code in uncomprehensible ways, luckily I only did changes on current document after selection didnt work, so it was only one whole file that was trashed beyond recognition

@nick5454 well at least we have blogging, we are free to trash their products as much as we want, so other developers can heed our warnings.