Application.Resources StaticResource not found for key

PaulDistonPaulDiston USUniversity ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in Xamarin.Forms

Hi,

I am trying to define a Style for a custom control I have created in the Application.Resources section of my App.xaml.cs file. However the page that references this file raises an exception (StaticResource not found for key).

The sample here :-

https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-forms-samples

Doesn't use a Key or a Custom Control for it's Application.Resources so I am not exactly sure how to get this working.

Is there any more comprehensive examples available or any pointers as to how to get this working?

Update: The same Style defined in the Page's Resources section, works successfully.

Thanks

Paul Diston

• JMarcusJMarcus USMember ✭✭✭

You have to use a DynamicResource for global styles.

• PaulDistonPaulDiston USUniversity ✭✭✭✭

@JMarcus Thanks for that pointer, however I don't seem to be able to get it working. Do you have any examples or code snippets for global styles applied to custom controls?

• HowardBakerHowardBaker USMember

@PaulDiston Thanks for the find!! This saved me a lot of time.

• @PaulDiston can you post a small example of how you got this working? This has been giving me trouble for some time. Thanks!!

• laygrlaygr MXMember, University

You saved me, thanks.

• @PaulDiston Thanks, you saved me some time and searching

• @PaulDiston one more thanks!

Does it work with StaticResource or you've used DynamicResource as @JMarcus noted before?

• @PaulDiston I think you've just saved me hours of frustration. I must have accidentally clobbered that InitializeComponent method call at some point, because I know it was there a few days ago. Thank you!!

@MikeGringauz I'm using it with an (admittedly very simple) StaticResource, and so far so good...

• JoeHealyJoeHealy USUniversity ✭✭

@pauldiston ++ to whatever brownie point system they have here. Much appreciate with the InitializeComponent tip...

• elefpelefp GRMember ✭✭

@PaulDiston Thanks a lot ! This InitializeComponent tip is mentioned nowhere ! Of course the samples contain it, but who pays that detailed attention when he believes the code from old App.cs is just a copy paste? Thanks again ! I'm searching about it over an hour now.

• BrianHondeBrianHonde USMember

Thank you, was about to pull my hair out.

• SamuelRuleSamuelRule USMember ✭✭

I know this was posted a year ago but thanks @PaulDiston great fix spent ages searching for this answer

• Dr.SlumpDr.Slump ESMember

Ahhhh! Saved me too!

• Cheers, awesome spot.

• jutervojutervo USMember ✭✭

thanks! just went through xamarin university "Resources and Styles" but missed this when implementing my style and got
    "StaticResource not found for key"

• pallavboharapallavbohara USMember ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Me too getting this error while implementing Styles in App.xaml
    StaticResource not found for key <keyForStyle>!
    And its working fine in another project!
    Does anyone have clue?
    This is my App.xaml code--
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<Application.Resources>

<Style x:Key="styleButtonCancel"  TargetType="Button">
                <Setter Property="BackgroundColor" Value="#d3d3d3"/>
                <Setter Property="TextColor" Value="White"/>
            </Style>
        </ResourceDictionary>
    </Application.Resources>

And this how i am using it in some Xaml file--

• EmmanuelPereiraEmmanuelPereira USMember

Saved me too, @PaulDiston!

• zahikramerzahikramer ILMember ✭✭✭

Saved me also @PaulDiston !
    You are the Savior ! The Messiah ! :smile:

• MuhammadhamzaMuhammadhamza USMember ✭✭

The reason this wasn't working was due to be omitting the call to InitializeComponent (); in the App constructor which is required when creating the App.xaml and associated code behind.

Its works for me thanks.

• UnreachableCodeUnreachableCode USMember ✭✭✭

@JMarcus said:
    You have to use a DynamicResource for global styles.

This fixed my issue, but is it a good idea to change all my StaticResources to Dynamic? Won't it be detrimental to performance?

• This fixed my issue,This saved me a lot of time.

• @PaulDiston said:

The reason this wasn't working was due to be omitting the call to InitializeComponent (); in the App constructor which is required when creating the App.xaml and associated code behind.

This saved me a lot of time. Thanks @PaulDiston

• princepotemkinprincepotemkin Member ✭✭

Life saver! Thanks a million

• WelshDragonWelshDragon USMember

Thanks, this worked for me too. Strange thing was that in debug mode it worked fine, it was only in Release mode that it didn't!