How to Add Xamarin Component to Windows Phone Project?

It must be really obvious and I'm just an idiot.

I need to add a Xamarin Component (no nuget package available) to my Xamarin Forms app (iOS, Android, WP). iOS and Android have a 'components' folder under the project which I can right click on and get options to add components from the Xamarin Component Store. Windows Phone does not have this special folder, and I cannot find an Add Component option on any of the context menus in solution explorer. The package in question shows it supports WP on it's home page in the Xamarin Store, so I assume this is possible.

What is the correct way to add a Xamarin Component into a Windows Phone app (for a Xamarin Forms solution)?

Thanks.

Answers

• rene_ruppertrene_ruppert DEXamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai

I asked around and it seems it really isn't supported automatically, even though there are WP components on the store. You will have to download the component and install it manually by adding a reference to the downloaded DLL.

• TroyWillmotTroyWillmot NZMember, University

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. In the end I have done what you suggested, but it feels awkward and ugly (even though I always used to set references manually in the old days). Might also confuse some people with packages using the PCL bait and switch technique (they might reference incorrect assemblies). Any chance this could be fixed? Or alternatively could Xamarin publish alternate nuget packages for all free components (i.e Xamarin Mobile) they own in the Xamarin store (since Nuget seems to work on all platforms)?

• DrCJonesDrCJones USMember

It's interesting that this is still not a part of Windows apps yet...