Profiler will not connect to iOS device

BrianPautschBrianPautsch USMember, University

I just downloaded the new Profiler and it works fine with profiling in the iOS Simulator. Unfortunately, I need to profile a portion of code where the camera takes photos and cannot do that in the simulator. When I choose my device and "Start Profiling...", the Profiler launches and the app launches on the iPhone, but the Profiler doesn't start...the timer doesn't start and not Allocations are being captured. Should this work? Any advice? Thanks

• NinaVyedinNinaVyedin USXamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai

Hey Brian -

I'd love to help. Can you tell me about your setup? What version of the profiler/VS/XS? Any chance you could include the profiler logs?

• BrianPautschBrianPautsch USMember, University

Hi Nina. Thanks for replying. Running Xamarin Studio 5.7 (build 661) on a Mac with Profiler v0.9-29 (1). I'll try again in a few minutes and post the logs.

edited January 2015

Try it with Profiler 0.10 (published today): http://download.xamarin.com/profiler/profiler-mac.pkg

• BrianPautschBrianPautsch USMember, University

Works perfectly. Thanks!

• JensBeckerJensBecker USUniversity

Hey,

I can profile on the simulator (although it's unusably slow) but it doesn't work on a real device. It just says "Profiling is not supported for this build configuration". Does someone has the same problem or does even know a solution? :D

Thanks!

• RodrigoMoyaRodrigoMoya ESXamarin Team Xamurai

@JensBecker what Xamarin license do you have?

@RodrigoMoya‌ Business

• shawshaw USXamarin Team, Insider Xamurai

JensBecker, what is your build configuration Debug? Release? [Custom]Debug? etc?

A custom Debug Configuration.

Enable Optimizations: OFF
    Debug Information: Full
    Symbols: DEBUG;MOBILE;IOS

Debugging Options:
    Enable Developer Instrumentation ...: ON
    Enable Debugging: ON
    Enable Incremental Builds: OFF
    Enable Profiling: ON

edited January 2015

There's the problem - we don't support profiling custom build configurations yet in the preview. I know that's a pain. We'll fix it soon.

There may be a way to launch it with profiler arguments - @rodrigomoya, do you know?

Yes @JensBecker‌ , you can run it via the command line with:

/Applications/XamarinProfiler.Mac.app/Contents/MacOS/XamarinProfiler.Mac --target=<app_package_id> --device=<device-id>

is the same as it's displayed in XS, so something like "Rodrigo's iPad"

As @Nina_Vyedin‌ said, we don't support that yet, so it might not work at all, so let us know how it goes

• ThomasVandenBosscheThomasVandenBossche USMember ✭✭
    edited January 2016

@misskallisto / @RodrigoMoya Is the support for custom build configurations available in the profiler at the moment?

@ThomasVandenBossche no, not yet, sorry :neutral:

• Bartdk-Bartdk- USUniversity ✭✭

*Bump
    Just checking when this will be available ?

• JonahHulselmansJonahHulselmans USMember ✭✭

@misskallisto or @RodrigoMoya does the latest version of the profiler support custom build configurations?

no sorry, not yet :(