Physical File Location of local storage on Xamarin Android Player

DrJDrJ ✭✭USMember ✭✭

My app creates a file.
When using XAP, where is the physical location on the Mac where I can go look at the contents of the file?

When using the iOS simulator, your application data sandbox (documents folder) is mapped to a folder like
/Users/yourusername/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Devices/XXXXXXXXXX/data/Containers/Data/Application/xxxxxxx/Documents

I am looking for something similar for the android player.

• rmaciasrmacias ✭✭✭✭✭ USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

Xamarin Android Player is a virtual machine of the Android Operating System running on Virtual Box. It's not a Simulator like the iOS Simulator. So the contents won't reside on your local hard drive. Instead, the file storage is actually on file system of the virtual machine. In this case, the Android file system.

So you'll have to install a file manager in the Android VM so that you can navigate to the proper file location where your app is writing the file. What I would do is install Google Play Services, which will install the Play Store. From there, you can download any file manager from the Google Play Store.

developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/getting_started/installation/android-player/#Installing_Android_Applications

• ThomasBurkhartThomasBurkhart ✭✭✭✭ DEMember ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I tried this. The problem is, that I have found no Filemanager that can display the home directory because of access rights.
    I was able to browse to my folder with adb shell, but not with a file manager.
    I use the Nexus 4 Kitkat Image.

• EinoGourdinEinoGourdin USMember

You can browse files from Xamarin Studio -> Tools -> Android Device Monitor

From there, in the File Explorer tab, you can browse the files, and save/push files from/to the device.