BetterPickers

YaakovSYaakovS USMember ✭✭

I noticed that there was a BetterPickers component (for android) recently released. I added it to my project to give it a try but when I actually tried to use it I discovered that it seems like it requires the SupportFragmentManager and doesn't work with the native FragmentManager.

Is there any way to use it with the native fragment manager and if there isn't (which I suspect is the case) then shouldn't it be marked in the component store to indicate that it only works with the support library? I do relize that the component is essentially a binding for an existing third party library, but I think that it's requirements should be specified in the component store if it will be listed there.

• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

BetterPickers the original library support all the way back to API level 9 of Android and it requires Support v4 which brings backwards compatibility for Fragements and the SupportFragmentManager. Most things in Android actually require this so it makes a lot of sense. I will contact components team to ensure this is listed though.

See the original GitHub: https://github.com/derekbrameyer/android-betterpickers

• YaakovSYaakovS USMember ✭✭

Thanks, I realize now that the original libary requires v4, and I know that a lot of Android requires or uses v4 but I think by now there is a lot of new Android development that only targets 4.0+.

At any rate I see there is a comment from the owner of the original GitHub that he plans on either removing v4 support or creating two packages. There also appears to be a fork to use the native versions, so maybe I'll try and see if I can create my own binding for that.

• CTCHANGCTCHANG AUMember ✭✭

Any new update of the BetterPickers in Xamarin Store?

Since the current binded v1.5.2 BetterPickers having some style conflicts with AppCompat v7.21.0.0

Which has been fixed in v1.5.3 as described https://github.com/derekbrameyer/android-betterpickers/issues/120

• JonathanDickJonathanDick CAXamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

Hi folks, I just submitted an update for BetterPickers v1.5.3, it should be approved soon!

• Andrey.8366Andrey.8366 USMember

Is there a way to style RadialTimePickerDialog and CalendarDatePickerDialog with custom style or it is only possible for pickers created with Builder?
    There is nothing in C# classes that can be set or overrided :(