Forum Visual Studio

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

iOS - Visual Studio Locks up on "Launching Application for debugging"

• espresso3389espresso3389 JPMember

Wow, 3.9.274 works great for me!
    VS no longer hangs up after launching failure.

• PeterMatterPeterMatter CHMember

Same here. 3.9.274 works also for me!

• SureFlapSureFlap USMember, University
    edited January 2015

Hoping to solve the problems, I installed this file http://xvs.xamarin.com/Xamarin.VisualStudio_3.9.274.msi
    but now I can't connect to the mac anymore.
    My current versions are:

Xamarin 3.9.274
    Xamarin.Android 4.20.0.34
    Xamarin.iOS 8.6.1.0

and Xamarin says me that there is a new update available : 3.9.236

What can I do to solve the problem?

EDIT: I solve my problem using the manual configuration. Sorry...

I'm testing this version and I will tell you I the problems are solved!

• Finally - 3.9.274 definitely works! You can download it from this link:
    http://xvs.xamarin.com/Xamarin.VisualStudio_3.9.274.msi

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

3.9.274 don't work for me (same or worse behavior as before).

• FD.4729FD.4729 USMember
    edited January 2015

3.9.274 is working for me. Thanks for the update!

For anyone else interested, the steps I took were:

• Upgrade Mac version to latest from the stable channel (I had downgraded previously). Build host is at Xamarin.iOS 8.6.0.51.
    • Install Windows 3.9.274 version

At this point I launched VS and then the app. It worked, but I got a weird debugger error (attached) and I had to end the VS task. So:

• I rebooted both the Mac and PC
    • Then launched VS and the app again.

So far so good, everything seems to be working.

• Chris.3618Chris.3618 USMember

This seems to be working for us too. Thank you!

• SonNguyen.8158SonNguyen.8158 USMember, University ✭✭
    edited January 2015

Xamarin Visual Studio build 3.9.274.0 does not work for me.

It has changed the issue though. Now VS doesn't freeze when attempting on device debugging. Instead nothing happens when clicking "Start Debugging" and the Debug Output window never prints anything after "Launching Application for debugging...". I should add that clicking "Start Without Debugging" does deploy and launch that app as intended.

Here's my Xamarin environment:

PC:

VS2013 Update 4,
    ReSharper 8.2,
    Xamarin 3.9.274.0,
    Xamarin.Android 4.20.0.34,
    Xamarin.iOS 8.6.1.0,
    Xamarin.iOS Unified Migration 1.0,

Mac build host:

Xcode 6.1.1,
    Xamarin Build Host 3.9.0.234,
    Xamarin.iOS 8.6.0.51,
    Xamarin.Android 4.20.028,

*** UPDATE ***

I had also tried restarting my Mac, PC and iPhone without success, but after manually launching Xcode on the Mac build host and trying again then Visual Studio Debugging worked! I have now closed Xcode on the Mac build host and on device debugging continues to work via Visual Studio.

• plamplam USMember
    edited January 2015

Mine is not working with the new build either :(. The application still runs, but the debugger does not attach. In my instance - the debug output window will load all the assemblies: "Loaded assembly: /Users/name/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Devices/---/data/Containers/Bundle/Application/---.dll" etc and the status will be stuck on "Launching Application for Debugging".

EDIT -- Tried the solutions above and below which give me the same results. Gahhhh, how frustrating...

• Chris.3618Chris.3618 USMember

@SonNguyen.3151 I had that issue too. This is what I did to get it to work correctly:

1. After the install rebooted both machines
    2. In Simulator went to iOS Simulator > Reset Content and Settings.
    3. Clean build in Visual Studio on project
    4. Pair the two
    5. Debug works as expected
  • Xamarin-IanXamarin-Ian USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Hi Folks, we are continuing to investigate reports of hangs on iOS devices and we believe that Xamarin.VisualStudio_3.9.274 contains the necessary fixes for the iOS hangs and that the debugger successfully attaches.

We have seen several customers with incorrect iOS Bundle signing and Provisioning profile settings that have been resolved by going into Xcode-->Preferences-->AppleIds-->ViewDetials and ensuring the Signing Identities are present, in addition going to Xcode, creating a new project, opening the project details, clicking Team and ensuring that the provisioning profile is successfully registered in Xcode.

Additionally, attempting to the debug the application in VS a second time does resolve any cached/stale results.

We have have several customers successfully install this hotfix and have seen the hang issues be resolved for iOS.

After installing this hotfix build i'd like to ask you to send everyone to please send me a quick mail indicating if you've seen the hang issue being resolved or if it is in fact not resolved. any additional feedback/issues you are seeing so I can make additional improvements.

Ian Ceicys
    :: Visual Studio QA Software Engineer @ Xamarin - title
    :: [email protected] - email
    :: (440)724-6721 - phone.mobile

• The update 3.9.274 worked also for me :-)

• I cannot debug app in ios device (iPhone), but in ios simulator everything works fine.
    Error 22 error MT1007: Failed to launch the application '' on the device 'iPhone dev': Look for earlier warnings returned: 0x454. You can still launch the application manually by tapping on it. Xamarin.iOS Extension 0 0

• jakkajjakkaj AUMember

@RADev‌ I had a similar issue. It would build fine, but then would just do nothing at the Launching Application stage. I had to reselect my iPhone from the drop down in VS - no need to select anything else, just press the little drop down and select it again...

Hope my little over simple answer helps :)

JK

• jakkajjakkaj AUMember

3.9.274 has worked for me too. We had a full day with no hangs.

• GregDickieGregDickie CAMember

Hi guys, 3.9.274 works for me!

edited January 2015

@Xamarin-Ian‌:

Any news on this?

As you know, there are various developers, where the update don't work (like me) and this is a blocker for the daily work.

See also: forums.xamarin.com/discussion/27775/visual-studio-hangs-while-debugging-in-ios#latest

and
    forums.xamarin.com/discussion/12048/droid-debugging-visual-studio-is-busy#latest

Updatet to XF 1.3.2-Pre-1:
    Same behavior:

Debug to Android:
    - Breakpoint is showed in VS
    - "Spinning wheel" is showed
    - VS is frozen and has to be canceled in TaskManager
    Debug to iOS:
    - Breakpoint is reached and showed in VS
    - Then - after a few seconds - the Connection to the MAC is lost

So.. only platform now, that works for me, is WP.

• DaveRoperDaveRoper NZMember

3.9.274 has solved the issue for me; I would feel a whole lot better knowing the cause has been identified and that it's fixes for everything though, until then I'm keeping my finger well away from the Update button.
    Cheers for being proactive about solving this however, and good luck for the remaining problems.

With the new version (3.9.274) the problem seems solved, but there are also several other related problems.
    When a breakpoint is reached during ios debugging, after few seconds, the application terminates.
    But the worst problem is with the ios designer, every few minutes it crashes. I reported the problem on the bug tracking system. I hope it will be solved very soon.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

A small update: the XamarinVS version that was published to the Alpha updater channel today (3.9.289) includes the fixes that were in 3.9.274 plus just a few other changes. So anyone who is hitting debugger hangs with 3.9.236 can feel free to update directly to 3.9.289 via the updater. Two key issues that were fixed for 3.9.274 (and are included in 3.9.289) were: (1) a problem that could cause the soft debugger to deadlock when polling the threads of the running app, and (2) a few scenarios that could cause Visual Studio to hang when the VS debugger had trouble connecting with the soft debugger agent in the app.

There is still at least one known, precisely defined scenario that will cause VS to get stuck in a busy state for about 2 minutes in 3.9.289. This can happen if an iOS app launches successfully but then crashes before the Main() method runs. At present the only reported cause of this kind of crash is if the "iOS Build -> Enable incremental build" is enabled. Investigation of this issue and further stress testing of 3.9.289 will be performed in preparation for a follow-up alpha release (after the 3.9.289 branch has moved to stable).

@BrendanZagaeski:
    I see error-messages in Fiddler about every second after I have started VS2013 (to /ListDevices?ShowDeviceVersion=True).
    I have submitted this three times now to Xamarin and never have received any feedback.
    In the attached .pdf you can see some screenshots.
    May I have an answer to that problem please!

Maybe this problem is only related to my installation, maybe it is a general problem...?
    But I simply want a feedback to...
    Thanks

@FredyWenger, from a quick glance through old reports of "400 Bad Request" server errors, it sounds like Fiddler itself might be causing that particular problem. It seems that Fiddler turns on the Windows network proxy and that causes the problem. I believe http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/25470/false-communication-with-mac was one of your previous reports about the problem? Since that issue seems to be an on-going problem that also existed in XamarinVS 3.8 (and probably earlier), the best way to proceed with that particular problem would be to file a bug report on http://bugzilla.xamarin.com, being sure to include as many of the details mentioned on https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/page.cgi?id=bug-writing.html as possible. If you like, you can instead send your draft bug report to one of the support email addresses listed on http://store.xamarin.com/account/ and mention my name in the email. I'll then pick up on the email thread to make sure the Xamarin developers will have a complete set of steps to reproduce plus precise descriptions of the observed and expected results, and I'll file a bug report.

I did a few quick searches of Bugzilla to see if there might have already been a report for the "400 Bad Request" issue, but I didn't find anything matching. I might have missed it. If you have already filed a bug for that issue, feel free to include the bug number in your email (to one of the support addresses on http://store.xamarin.com/account/), and I'll review it.

We can take a similar approach for the other issues you reported earlier in the thread if you're still seeing them. Thanks in advance!

@BrendanZagaeski:
    Thanks for your feedback.
    Yes, the false communication was the same theme.
    As I wrote here in the thread's I am not able to debug iOS and Android (only working Platform is WP).
    This since about a week now!
    I already have sent my whole project and various details to the problems to Ian.
    To Fiddler, I try to find-out, if fiddler himself can cause the problem.

• EZRobotEZRobot CAMember ✭✭
    edited January 2015

The new version (3.9.236.0) has actually created this problem for me. I did not have this problem with last version, and now that I have updated yesterday - it has been an absolute nightmare as I am only able to get my solution to compile in Xamarin Studio on the MacBook and not from Visual Studio with iOS Build Host. I continually receive this error over and over and over...

Error 2 There was an unhandled exception trying to deploy and run your application. System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Solution unavailable. at EnvDTE.Project.get_UniqueName() at Xamarin.VisualStudio.ProjectInterfaceConverters.ToHierarchy(Project project) at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Utilities.Helpers.GetAssemblyName(Project prj) at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.CreateDebuggerStartInfo(VSBuildServerClient server, MonoTouchDevice device, MonoTouchFlavoredProject project, IVsDebugger2 debugger, Int32 debugPort, Int32 consolePort) at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.GetDebugSession(VSBuildServerClient server, MonoTouchFlavoredProject project, MonoTouchDevice device, String outputDirectory, IVsDebugger2 debugger, IVsOutputWindowPane output, Int32& appConsolePort) at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.DebugApplication(VSBuildServerClient server, MonoTouchDevice device, IVsOutputWindowPane output, MonoTouchProgressNotifier notifier, LogReader consoleLogReader) at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.<>c__DisplayClassa.<DebugLaunchHack>b__6(VSBuildServerClient server) at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Utilities.BuildServer.<>c__DisplayClass881.b__86()
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.InnerInvoke() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions) at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.GetResultCore(Boolean waitCompletionNotification)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.get_Result() at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.DebugLaunchHack(__VSDBGLAUNCHFLAGS grfLaunch) ---> (Inner Exception #0) System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Solution unavailable. at EnvDTE.Project.get_UniqueName() at Xamarin.VisualStudio.ProjectInterfaceConverters.ToHierarchy(Project project) at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Utilities.Helpers.GetAssemblyName(Project prj) at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.CreateDebuggerStartInfo(VSBuildServerClient server, MonoTouchDevice device, MonoTouchFlavoredProject project, IVsDebugger2 debugger, Int32 debugPort, Int32 consolePort) at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.GetDebugSession(VSBuildServerClient server, MonoTouchFlavoredProject project, MonoTouchDevice device, String outputDirectory, IVsDebugger2 debugger, IVsOutputWindowPane output, Int32& appConsolePort) at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.DebugApplication(VSBuildServerClient server, MonoTouchDevice device, IVsOutputWindowPane output, MonoTouchProgressNotifier notifier, LogReader consoleLogReader) at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.<>c__DisplayClassa.<DebugLaunchHack>b__6(VSBuildServerClient server) at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Utilities.BuildServer.<>c__DisplayClass881.b__86()
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.InnerInvoke() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()<--- 0 0

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013
    Version 12.0.31101.00 Update 4
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.5.51641

Installed Version: Professional

Team Explorer for Visual Studio 2013 06177-004-0446043-02577
    Microsoft Team Explorer for Visual Studio 2013

Visual Basic 2013 06177-004-0446043-02577
    Microsoft Visual Basic 2013

Visual C# 2013 06177-004-0446043-02577
    Microsoft Visual C# 2013

Visual C++ 2013 06177-004-0446043-02577
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2013

Visual F# 2013 06177-004-0446043-02577
    Microsoft Visual F# 2013

Visual Studio 2013 Code Analysis Spell Checker 06177-004-0446043-02577
    Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2013 Code Analysis Spell Checker

Portions of International CorrectSpell™ spelling correction system © 1993 by Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V. All rights reserved.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition Copyright © 1992 Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V. All rights reserved.

Windows Phone SDK 8.0 - ENU 06177-004-0446043-02577
    Windows Phone SDK 8.0 - ENU

Advanced Installer Extension 11.7.1
    Advanced Installer Extension. For more information visit the Advanced Installer website at www.advancedinstaller.com. Copyright © Caphyon LTD. All rights reserved.

Application Insights Tools for Visual Studio Package 1.0
    Application Insights Tools for Visual Studio

ASP.NET and Web Tools 12.4.51016.0
    Microsoft Web Developer Tools contains the following components:
    Support for creating and opening ASP.NET web projects
    Browser Link: A communication channel between Visual Studio and browsers
    Editor extensions for HTML, CSS, and JavaScript
    Page Inspector: Inspection tool for ASP.NET web projects
    Scaffolding: A framework for building and running code generators
    Server Explorer extensions for Microsoft Azure Websites
    Web publishing: Extensions for publishing ASP.NET web projects to hosting providers, on-premises servers, or Microsoft Azure

ASP.NET Web Frameworks and Tools 2012.2 4.1.21001.0
    For additional information, visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=309563

ASP.NET Web Frameworks and Tools 2013 5.2.21010.0
    For additional information, visit http://www.asp.net/

Common Azure Tools 1.3
    Provides common services for use by Azure Mobile Services and Microsoft Azure Tools.

Microsoft Advertising SDK for Windows Phone
    Microsoft Advertising SDK for Windows Phone
    Build

Microsoft Azure Mobile Services Tools 1.3
    Microsoft Azure Mobile Services Tools

NuGet Package Manager 2.8.50926.663
    NuGet Package Manager in Visual Studio. For more information about NuGet, visit http://docs.nuget.org/.

PowerShell Tools 1.3
    Provides file classification services using PowerShell

PreEmptive Analytics Visualizer 1.2
    Microsoft Visual Studio extension to visualize aggregated summaries from the PreEmptive Analytics product.

SQL Server Data Tools 12.0.41012.0
    Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools

VisualGDB 4.2
    Allows developing and debugging Embedded, Linux, Android and other GCC/GDB-based applications with Visual Studio.

Windows Phone 8.1 SDK Integration 1.0
    This package integrates the tools for the Windows Phone 8.1 SDK into the menus and controls of Visual Studio.

Xamarin 3.9.236.0 (d6a2cae)
    Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android.

Xamarin.Android 4.20.0.34 (49a04b966feb40dfdba49d57ba16249b66d606a6)
    Visual Studio plugin to enable development for Xamarin.Android.

Xamarin.iOS 8.6.0.0 (eb24bdcf5cba2c12b673a07e0a8cce368b9563b3)
    Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS.

Xamarin.iOS Unified Migration 1.0
    Automated migration for Xamarin iOS Classic projects to Unified

• Another 14 days are gone and still no solution for this issue. Come on Xamarin, we are waiting for a fix.

edited February 2015

@MartinRothschink, the alpha version (3.9.289) currently available via the updater channels has resolved the issue for many users. The developer and QA teams are currently still investigating individual cases where this version has not been sufficient to resolve regressions between 3.8.150 and the 3.9 series. If you have a reproducible regression that's causing VS to hang when working with iOS projects in XamarinVS 3.9.289 but not in XamarinVS 3.8.150, please get in touch either via an email to the support team (using one of the email addresses listed on http://store.xamarin.com/account/) or directly to Ian (as discussed in his earlier post in this thread: http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/98386/#Comment_98386). If you write to the support team, feel free to mention my name in the email to make sure it gets prioritized properly. Thanks in advance!

EDIT 4:51 PM: Reword reproducible regression sentence for accuracy. Add missing link to Ian's earlier post.

• PhilHarrisPhilHarris USMember

I have updated to 3.9.289, and still no resolution for debugging from VS. Simple hangs at application launch.
    Works fine on Xam on the Mac.

• Thanks, with the alpha version it looks a lot better now.

With the ios debugger, within 10 - 15 seconds, the debugger stops and the app quits.
    Pratically the debugger is useless.

I love Xamarin but considering the price, these errors are inadmissible!

• EdwardJudenEdwardJuden USMember

I am seeing the same lockup, I have tried killing XCode, Xamarin.IOS Build Host and the Simulator and nothing will stop hanging Visual Studio. I have to keep killing the process in Task Manager. I have also changed to the Alpha channel on both PC and Mac and still same results. Frustrating. This is why I purchased the Business license to use Visual Studio, but this is useless.
    Using Visual Studio 2013 with latest service pack.

• rob_aglrob_agl USMember

OK - just adding my voice to the chorus now.
    This issue needs to be fixed please. I too am using VS2013 latest service pack (with resharper)
    Come on Xamarin - where is the patch love???

• pwojtowiczpwojtowicz USMember ✭✭

Updating to 3.9.289 also didn't help for me. If you need further information for debugging this issue just ask.

• EdwardJudenEdwardJuden USMember

I submitted a support request to Xamarin and in their email reply it said to include the files from the "C:\Users[YOUR USER NAME[\AppData\Local\Xamarin\Log" directory on the PC.
    I looked in this directory and browsed the files and saw a bunch of errors about not being able to copy to this directory on my Mac: "/Users/[YOUR USER NAME]/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/[YOUR APP NAME]"
    I ran "rmdir -r [YOUR APP NAME]" from the builds directory and now it works for now.

Look in your most recent log file on your PC and see if any of you see this exception:
    UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: startIndex > this.length
    It was in my "C:\Users[YOUR USER NAME[\AppData\Local\Xamarin\Log\12.0" directory

• TedEilesTedEiles USMember ✭✭

Updating to 3.9.289 also didn't help for me. If you need further information for debugging this issue just ask.

We updated, booted/restarted/reset machines, ios simulator, etc... No change.

App appears in ios simulator, launches, and then is unresponsive to input. VS2013 continues to display "Launching Application for debugging...". Nothing changed overnight.

• DonAsherDonAsher USMember

Btw, disabling resharper worked for me without changing the build. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Kirill.ShlenskiyKirill.Shlenskiy AUMember
    edited February 2015

Here's an interesting one from me:

After not being able to start applications on iOS devices with or without debugging from VS for a couple of weeks now I upgraded to 3.9.289.0 (39a70ae) this morning, and SUDDENLY deploy to device started working. That was until I accidentally bumped the "Migrate to Xamarin.iOS Unified" button (side note: whoever placed it where the "Build" item of the project context menu usually is, gets no love from me). After carefully undoing the carnage brought about by the above, I am now unable to deploy to device again.

@all reader of this thread:
    There are various problems with the debugger (iOS and Android) right now (I'm not able to debug iOS and Android now for months).
    There also are various threads in the VS-Forum, very confusing and time-consuming.
    Therefore, I have opened a new thread (proposal to solve the problems on a new and professional way):

forums.xamarin.com/discussion/33738/proposal-solving-of-the-debugger-problems-version-3-9-302#latest

But... this seems to interest nobody (not Xamarin and also not the other pained users).
    So.. If you want to change something, read the thread and vote...!

• DavidCarriganDavidCarrigan USMember

I just upgraded to the most stable releases yesterday and noticed today all my builds (if not most) get stuck on "Launching application for debugger"

I don't want to go through the pains of downgrading. We should never have to downgrade, this is not where a stable release should result, ever.

Since today (after update to 1.4.1 (stable)) I additionally am not longer able to debug to my IPad-device: :angry:

error MT1007: Failed to launch the application 'com.yourcompany.MatrixGuide' on the device 'iPad MATRIX Solutions AG': Look for earlier warnings returned: 0x454. You can still launch the application manually by tapping on it. Xamarin.iOS Extension 0

This is new in my "collection" (the iPad was the "last standing" device, that has half worked for debugging).
    So... actually, I am not able to debug meaningful to iOS-Devices, iOS-Emulators and Android-devices.
    But hey.... who cares...
    Simply unbelievable!

This discussion has been closed.