iOS - Visual Studio Locks up on "Launching Application for debugging"

I am trying to deploy and debug an iOS app on my iPad via a Mac Mini and "Xamarin Build Host".

The app gets deployed but no breakpoints fire and Visual Studio either hangs or shutsdown. Where do I start debugging this issue?

• PatrickLongPatrickLong USMember ✭✭

As well as it locking up at "Launching application". I currently have it locking up simply after a successful build.

I am running

Dell Laptop
    Mac Mini
    Small LAN with just me on it

I can see issues in the Xamarin Build Host log but I do not know where to start to fix them. Can I get some help with this.

• plamplam USMember

I am having the a similar problem where I try to launch my application in debug mode. It literally goes through this output

Launching Application for debugging... Stopping debugger... Debugging session ended. Launching Application for debugging...

And then the application launches with the debugger left behind. My Console.WriteLine statements work and are visible but breakpoints are not hit. Does anyone know if there's an issue or resolution to attach the debugger? The debugger attached on my Android and WP.

• Did anyone get this to stop? I started having the problem today after the 3.9.x most recent Xamarin update.

• GhaladenGhaladen USMember

Yep, I get this as well. Here's what I got:

Visual Studio 2013, Update 4

Windows 8.1 Enterprise

Parallels Desktop, Build 9.0.24251 (Revision 1052177; Thursday, August 28, 2014)

mtouch 8.6.0.51 (dfb682f)

• DaveRoperDaveRoper NZMember

This has started happening for me too since updating to Xamarin.iOS 8.6, the app will deploy successfully, but visual studio will hang with "Launching Application for debugging..."

It would be good to have a fix for this soon, VS support is the entire reason we are on a business subscription.

• SonNguyen.8158SonNguyen.8158 USMember, University ✭✭

This has started occurring for me too after updating to Xamarin 3.9 yesterday. Visual Studio 2013 hangs on "Launching Application for Debugging..." and then VS locks up. After several minutes I receive this error in Error List Window:

Error 3 There was an unhandled exception trying to deploy and run your application.
    System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Solution unavailable.
    at EnvDTE.Project.get_UniqueName()
    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.ProjectInterfaceConverters.ToHierarchy(Project project)
    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Utilities.Helpers.GetAssemblyName(Project prj)
    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.CreateDebuggerStartInfo(VSBuildServerClient server, MonoTouchDevice device, MonoTouchFlavoredProject project, IVsDebugger2 debugger, Int32 debugPort, Int32 consolePort)
    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.GetDebugSession(VSBuildServerClient server, MonoTouchFlavoredProject project, MonoTouchDevice device, String outputDirectory, IVsDebugger2 debugger, IVsOutputWindowPane output, Int32& appConsolePort)
    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.DebugApplication(VSBuildServerClient server, MonoTouchDevice device, IVsOutputWindowPane output, MonoTouchProgressNotifier notifier, LogReader consoleLogReader)
    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.<>c__DisplayClassa.b__6(VSBuildServerClient server)
    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Utilities.BuildServer.<>c__DisplayClass881.<RunOnlyIfConnected>b__86() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.InnerInvoke()
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.GetResultCore(Boolean waitCompletionNotification) at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.get_Result()
    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.DebugLaunchHack(__VSDBGLAUNCHFLAGS grfLaunch)
    ---> (Inner Exception #0) System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Solution unavailable.
    at EnvDTE.Project.get_UniqueName()
    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.ProjectInterfaceConverters.ToHierarchy(Project project)
    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Utilities.Helpers.GetAssemblyName(Project prj)
    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.CreateDebuggerStartInfo(VSBuildServerClient server, MonoTouchDevice device, MonoTouchFlavoredProject project, IVsDebugger2 debugger, Int32 debugPort, Int32 consolePort)
    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.GetDebugSession(VSBuildServerClient server, MonoTouchFlavoredProject project, MonoTouchDevice device, String outputDirectory, IVsDebugger2 debugger, IVsOutputWindowPane output, Int32& appConsolePort)
    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.DebugApplication(VSBuildServerClient server, MonoTouchDevice device, IVsOutputWindowPane output, MonoTouchProgressNotifier notifier, LogReader consoleLogReader)
    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.<>c__DisplayClassa.b__6(VSBuildServerClient server)
    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Utilities.BuildServer.<>c__DisplayClass881.<RunOnlyIfConnected>b__86() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.InnerInvoke()
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()<---
    0 0

• Chris.3618Chris.3618 USMember

Our development team is experiencing the same issue. Please let us know as soon as there is a fix. Thank You.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Thanks for the reports all. Just as a first quick update, if anyone is seeing this when deploying to physical iOS devices, there is one known issue that will cause a hang if the currently selected provisioning profile is invalid.

You can check if you might be hitting that issue by looking in the most recent *.log file under %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\Log. The tell-tale symptom for that provisioning profile problem is a message similar to the following:

error MT1006: Could not install the application '/Users/macuser/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/iOSApp1/68d4897c38888c8e17a75c9de79105de/bin/iPhone/Debug/iOSApp1.app' on the device iPhone: Your application failed code-signing checks. Check your certificates, provisioning profiles, and bundle ids. Probably your device is not part of the selected provisioning profile

• SonNguyen.8158SonNguyen.8158 USMember, University ✭✭
    edited January 2015

@BrendanZagaeski‌ Thanks for support. I quick checked my most recent devenv, iOSDesigner and SDKUpdate logs under %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\Log and there's no sign of error MT1006. I can also confirm I'm using a valid iOS provisioning profile. I'm able to build my Xamarin.iOS app in VS and deploy it to device via Xcode but would prefer to deploy and be able to debug through VS.

• donimonidonimoni ILMember

same problem, deploying by VS 2013 and VS Hangs.

this is urgent, all team stopped working.

are you working on a solution???

• Hello,

I'm having the same problem, debugging a previously working iOS app from VS2013 Update 4, with Xamarin 3.9.236. It hangs for a while and then I get the same stack trace in the Output window as Son Nguyen.

Under %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\Log\12.0, the most recent log says the following:

Xamarin.VisualStudio.Utilities Warning: 0 : [2015-01-14 09:51:12.3] WaitInUIThread Window threw an Exception.
    System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Not enough quota is available to process this command
    at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.PostMessage(HandleRef hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable`1 channelSet)
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos(IntPtr lParam)
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
    at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
    at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
    at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

This exception is repeated many times per debug attempt.

I've tried deleting the app from the phone, and doing a clean build, restarting phone, PC and Mac build host.
    Progress on this project is being blocked due to this.

• rrosrros USMember

I can confirm this issue. Deploying to device results in a locked up Visual Studio instance. New Xamarin releases seem to break way too often. :(

• KymPhillpottsKymPhillpotts AUMember, University ✭✭

Also seeing this issue.

Sorry can't find anything more to add to help diagnose.

Nothing interesting in the logs at %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\Log\12.0

• ThomasKristiansen.5432ThomasKristiansen.5432 DKMember
    edited January 2015

@KymPhillpotts

I'm in this exact same situation. Same issue, and logs aren't saying anything useful.

Edit: Actually not entirely true. I should probably mention that I am using Xamarin Forms, so I'd guess the problem lies in either the Visual Studio tool, or the builder.

• LuqqyLuqqy USMember

Also seeing this issue.

Visual Studio hangs just after launching application to iOS device as well as iOS Simulator. ‘Visual Studio is busy’ bubble pops up. Visual Studio and app become unresponsive.

We are using Xamarin Forms as well.

No error MT1006 in our log files.

Please advise!

• FD.4729FD.4729 USMember
    edited January 2015

My coworker and I are both experiencing the same thing. I was going to install VS update 4, but it seems people with update 4 are dealing with the same issue. This started for both of us when we installed the latest xamarin update with unified support (iOS 8.6.0.0).

Mac side is Yosemite with all most recent xamarin/xcode updates.

FWIW, Visual Studio help dialog version info:

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013
    Version 12.0.30723.00 Update 3
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.5.51641

Installed Version: Professional

LightSwitch for Visual Studio 2013 06177-004-0446016-02824
    Microsoft LightSwitch for Visual Studio 2013

Team Explorer for Visual Studio 2013 06177-004-0446016-02824
    Microsoft Team Explorer for Visual Studio 2013

Visual Basic 2013 06177-004-0446016-02824
    Microsoft Visual Basic 2013

Visual C# 2013 06177-004-0446016-02824
    Microsoft Visual C# 2013

Visual Studio 2013 Code Analysis Spell Checker 06177-004-0446016-02824
    Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2013 Code Analysis Spell Checker

Portions of International CorrectSpell™ spelling correction system © 1993 by Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V. All rights reserved.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition Copyright © 1992 Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V. All rights reserved.

Windows Phone SDK 8.0 - ENU 06177-004-0446016-02824
    Windows Phone SDK 8.0 - ENU

AnkhSVN - Subversion Support for Visual Studio 2.5.12266.473
    AnkhSVN - Subversion Support for Visual Studio 2.5.12266.473
    * Ankh.Package 2.5.12266.473
    * Subversion 1.8.4 via SharpSvn 1.8004.2605.15365

SharpSvn is linked to: Apr 1.4.8, Apr-util 1.5.2, Cyrus Sasl 2.1.23, OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013, serf 1.3.2, SQLite 3.7.17, Subversion 1.8.4-SharpSvn-1.8.4, ZLib 1.2.8
    SharpSvn is optionally linked to: Berkeley DB 4.4.20, SharpPlink 1.8004.2605.15365

Application Insights Tools for Visual Studio Package 1.0
    Application Insights Tools for Visual Studio

ASP.NET and Web Tools 12.3.50717.0
    Microsoft Web Developer Tools contains the following components:
    Support for creating and opening ASP.NET web projects
    Browser Link: A communication channel between Visual Studio and browsers
    Editor extensions for HTML, CSS, and JavaScript
    Page Inspector: Inspection tool for ASP.NET web projects
    Scaffolding: A framework for building and running code generators
    Server Explorer extensions for Microsoft Azure Websites
    Web publishing: Extensions for publishing ASP.NET web projects to hosting providers, on-premises servers, or Microsoft Azure

ASP.NET Web Frameworks and Tools 2012.2 4.1.21001.0
    For additional information, visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=309563

ASP.NET Web Frameworks and Tools 2013 5.2.20703.0
    For additional information, visit http://www.asp.net/

Common Azure Tools 1.2
    Provides common services for use by Azure Mobile Services and Microsoft Azure Tools.

Microsoft Advertising SDK for Windows Phone
    Microsoft Advertising SDK for Windows Phone Build

Microsoft Azure Mobile Services Tools 1.2
    Microsoft Azure Mobile Services Tools

NuGet Package Manager 2.8.50313.46
    NuGet Package Manager in Visual Studio. For more information about NuGet, visit http://docs.nuget.org/.

Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2013 ENU 12.0.30626
    Microsoft Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2013 ENU

PowerShell Tools 1.2
    Provides file classification services using PowerShell

PreEmptive Analytics Visualizer 1.2
    Microsoft Visual Studio extension to visualize aggregated summaries from the PreEmptive Analytics product.

SQL Server Data Tools 12.0.30919.1
    Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools

tangible T4 Editor 2.2.0
    tangible engineering GmbH

Windows Phone 8.1 SDK Integration 1.0
    This package integrates the tools for the Windows Phone 8.1 SDK into the menus and controls of Visual Studio.

Workflow Manager Tools 1.0 1.0
    This package contains the necessary Visual Studio integration components for Workflow Manager.

Xamarin 3.9.236.0 (d6a2cae)
    Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android.

Xamarin.Android 4.20.0.34 (49a04b966feb40dfdba49d57ba16249b66d606a6)
    Visual Studio plugin to enable development for Xamarin.Android.

Xamarin.iOS 8.6.0.0 (eb24bdcf5cba2c12b673a07e0a8cce368b9563b3)
    Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS.

Xamarin.iOS Unified Migration 1.0
    Automated migration for Xamarin iOS Classic projects to Unified

@BrendanZagaeski‌ Thank you for the response but this is not the issue we are experiencing. The provisioning profile is valid, in fact it worked fine yesterday prior to the update. As others have mentioned, we can't move forward on development until there is a fix.

edited January 2015

The issue is indeed under investigation by the Xamarin for Visual Studio developer and QA teams. Just to add one more possible cause, if you're using Xamarin Insights in your app, the Insights.Initialize() method has been reported to cause similar symptoms. Removing that method call might help with the problem in some cases.

To be thorough, I'll also post a quick link to an article about downgrading in case that might be the fastest workaround for any users who are hitting the problem: http://kb.xamarin.com/customer/portal/articles/1699777-downgrading (This link should open an article titled "Downgrading". Due to some of the login code on xamarin.com, you might have to navigate to the link twice to get the correct article to appear.)

For trial users (who won't see old versions on their store.xamarin.com account page), here are the download links for the previous stable versions:

• LorentzMorrowLorentzMorrow USUniversity ✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski‌ I was experiencing the Visual Studio 2013 hang when launching my app. I reverted to the previous version of Xamarin for Visual Studio and Xamarin.iOS. I didn't follow the downgrading article you mentioned. I only followed the Uninstall Xamarin Studio part of:
    http://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/getting_started/installation/uninstalling_xamarin/#Uninstall_Xamarin_Studio

I did not do the Uninstall Mono SDK (MDK) part.

At this point I threw the following exception when launching my app:

Unhandled managed exception: Corrupted data ReadInternal (System.IO.IOException)
    at System.IO.Compression.DeflateStreamNative.CheckResult (Int32 result, System.String where) [0x000a5] in /Developer/MonoTouch/Source/monotouch/_build//Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/git/src/mono/mcs/class/System/System.IO.Compression/DeflateStream.cs:477
    at System.IO.Compression.DeflateStreamNative.ReadZStream (IntPtr buffer, Int32 length) [0x0000e] in /Developer/MonoTouch/Source/monotouch/_build//Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/git/src/mono/mcs/class/System/System.IO.Compression/DeflateStream.cs:375
    at System.IO.Compression.DeflateStream.ReadInternal (System.Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count) [0x0002f] in /Developer/MonoTouch/Source/monotouch/_build//Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/git/src/mono/mcs/class/System/System.IO.Compression/DeflateStream.cs:125
    at System.IO.Compression.DeflateStream.Read (System.By
    te[] dest, Int32 dest_offset, Int32 count) [0x00086] in /Developer/MonoTouch/Source/monotouch/_build//Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/git/src/mono/mcs/class/System/System.IO.Compression/DeflateStream.cs:145
    at System.IO.Compression.GZipStream.Read (System.Byte[] dest, Int32 dest_offset, Int32 count) [0x0001c] in /Developer/MonoTouch/Source/monotouch/_build//Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/git/src/mono/mcs/class/System/System.IO.Compression/GZipStream.cs:80
    at Xamarin.InsightsCore.IOWriter.ReadDiskImage (System.String fileName) [0x00000] in :0
    at Xamarin.InsightsCore.CachedString..ctor (System.String id, Boolean doNotHash) [0x00000] in :0
    at Xamarin.InsightsCore.Core..ctor () [0x00000] in :0
    at Xamarin.InsightsCore.Device.get_Core () [0x00000] in :0
    at Xamarin.Insights.Initialize (System.String apiKey) [0x00000] in :0

I suspect that there may be a problem with the latest MDK which causes this exception.

I removed all Insights code from my project. Everything worked, the application launched and debugged in Visual Studio 2013. I re-updated to the latest versions of Xamarin for Visual Studio and Xamarin.iOS. Everything still works! Other than Insights, that is.

I suspect that there may also be a problem with the way the latest Xamarin for Visual Studio works with the debugger and the Corrupted data ReadInternal exception, compared to previous versions.

• KymPhillpottsKymPhillpotts AUMember, University ✭✭

FWIW, I downgraded my VS client and mac build host and am now able to debug onto Simulator and Device. Thanks for the workaround @BrendanZagaeski‌

Looking forward to that patch though ;-)

• donimonidonimoni ILMember

for me it's a very bad solution to downgrade

i have already upgraded all my project's to be unified,
    and now rollback is not an option.

The downgrade option also does not work for us as we have migrated our code to unified. It does not allow us to deploy to device for debugging. I believe the old version contains only a preview of the unified framework which throws an error when compiling for devices. I also tried the workaround provided by @BrendanZagaeski‌ but this did not work. Can you please update us on the progress of this issue? It is becoming a real impediment for our development team.

We have an experimental preview build available that might help for some cases where Visual Studio is hanging. It primarily targets a problem where Visual Studio will hang if it is unable to connect to and start debugging an iOS app.

Just to reiterate, this build includes new untested changes, so even if it helps with the hanging problem it's possible it might introduce some other issues.

Those cautions out of the way, here's the build for anyone who might like to try it:
    http://xvs.xamarin.com/Xamarin.VisualStudio_3.9.246.msi

Thank you for the update. I installed it and, unfortunately, ran into the same issue.

• RM.LtdRM.Ltd GBMember
    edited January 2015

For reference, after waiting 30 or so mins, this was the error thay usualy hangs or pops up an alert that VS2013 is busy

Error   1   There was an unhandled exception trying to deploy and run your application.
    System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.ArgumentException: Debug port cannot be zero when connecting
    Parameter name: debugPort
       at Mono.Debugging.Soft.SoftDebuggerConnectArgs..ctor(String appName, IPAddress address, Int32 debugPort, Int32 outputPort)
       at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Utilities.BuildServer.<>c__DisplayClass88`1.b__86()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.GetResultCore(Boolean waitCompletionNotification)
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.get_Result()
       at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.DebugLaunchHack(__VSDBGLAUNCHFLAGS grfLaunch)
    ---> (Inner Exception #0) System.ArgumentException: Debug port cannot be zero when connecting
    Parameter name: debugPort
       at Mono.Debugging.Soft.SoftDebuggerConnectArgs..ctor(String appName, IPAddress address, Int32 debugPort, Int32 outputPort)
       at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Utilities.BuildServer.<>c__DisplayClass88`1.b__86()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()

For anyone who has tried the experimental 3.9.246 build but is still seeing a problem, there is one more experiment you can try based on some in-progress investigation by the XamarinVS team:

Check if disabling the ReSharper extension helps.

Thank you Brendan. We do not have ReSharper installed, so this isn't the issue for us. Just letting you know so you can pass that information along if need be.

• remiguittautremiguittaut NOMember

Brendan, do you have any info about the bug? has it been identified? When can we expect to get a fix?
    Same here as others, all developments stopped!

• jakkajjakkaj AUMember

+1 Our dev team is seeing this issue. Our development has effectively stopped too (well, let's just say our devs are now rolling around the office on their chairs having sword fights, which according to them is actually an accepted part of software development - not sure I agree).

• Same problem. Works ok deploying to iOS emulator and Android emulator as well as a physical Android device -- but hangs Visual Studio when deploying to a physical iOS device. I'll just work on stuff that I can with the emulators. Hope to see this fixed soon!

BTW, thanks ya'll for the forward momentum -- some of the problems that I was having with Forms.Maps are fixed so I'm sure this is just a two steps forward, one step back situation.

• MartinPegg.4169MartinPegg.4169 USMember
    edited January 2015

I've tried version 3.9.246, and the problem still occurs.
    I then tried disabling ReSharper. This didn't help either.

The same error occured in the Xamarin log:

Xamarin.VisualStudio.Utilities Warning: 0 : [2015-01-19 11:33:55.1] WaitInUIThread Window threw an Exception.
    System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Not enough quota is available to process this command
    at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.PostMessage(HandleRef hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable`1 channelSet)
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos(IntPtr lParam)
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
    at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
    at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
    at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
    Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.XamarinIOSPackage Information: 0 : [2015-01-19 11:33:55.1] [19-Jan-2015 11:33:46] Warning: Device selection wait timed out (waited 00:05:00)
    Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.XamarinIOSPackage Information: 0 : [2015-01-19 11:33:55.1] [19-Jan-2015 11:33:46] Command [StartDebugProxy: CommmandUrl=StartDebugProxy] finished (11)

Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.XamarinIOSPackage Information: 0 : [2015-01-19 11:33:55.1] [19-Jan-2015 11:33:46] Request handled in 300050.786ms

Is there any more info I can supply that might help?

• DanielPDanielP USMember ✭✭

+1

My team upgraded to the latest version so we can migrate to unified and now this happens. Can't do anything on a real device for days now. This is a huge disappointment really. Every now and then my projects grind to a halt because of a bad Xamarin update.
    As someone mentioned previously rolling back is not an option because of the unified support.

• PeterMatterPeterMatter CHMember

Same issue here. Debugging on the iOS simulator is not possible!
    Is there any new information ... or at least hope ?

• Same issue here. Any ETA available ?

• ReneHanslinReneHanslin CHMember

same here...
    waiting for a fix - asap!

edited January 2015

One more little update to confirm that the team has been working steadily on the problem: there is another build underway right now. I'll update the thread once that build has completed and once the QA team has quickly verified that it improves the behavior. (See also the most recent update on the corresponding thread for hanging on Android apps: https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/98023/#Comment_98023.)

Here's another experimental preview build that might help for at least some users. To repeat the warnings from before, this build includes new untested changes, so even if it helps with the hanging problem it's possible it might introduce some other issues.

Those cautions out of the way, here's the build for anyone who might like to try it:
    http://xvs.xamarin.com/Xamarin.VisualStudio_3.9.274.msi

• Thank you for the update. Looking forward to see those fixes.

• i found some workaround for this issue.
    When i build and deploy the iOS app to the simulator and stop it after it started successfully, i am able to choose my ios provisioning profile and build and deploy on the device (and this is working most of the time).

Hope this might help somebody.

This discussion has been closed.