Feature Request: Snapshot Comparisons

While you can take snapshots of memory usage, you can't compare them except by eye. Given that the main reason for memory profiling is leak detection, I would argue this feature is essential.

• NinaVyedinNinaVyedin USXamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai

Snapshot comparison is in the roadmap. Is there any particular comparison data you'd like to see?

• RupertRawnsleyRupertRawnsley GBMember ✭✭

@Nina_Vyedin‌ Great. The "smoking gun" of memory leaks is the difference between the number of live instances of a particular type, so that would be the only essential statistic. It's nice to be able to drill into the reference roots for those types straight from the difference analysis rather than jumping back to the snapshot itself, but it's not essential.

My biggest memory management problems actually come from large Bitmaps that have not yet been garbage collected because the garbage collector doesn't see the unmanaged memory allocation behind them. Therefore it would be useful to ensure these objects are somehow represented in the snapshots and in the comparison. I appreciate that this is a more open-ended requirement than the basic comparison of instances by types.

• RodrigoMoyaRodrigoMoya ESXamarin Team Xamurai

@RupertRawnsley‌ we have improved the snapshots view in the last release, so please have a try at it and let us know what else you would like to have added/improved