Xamarin Starter Edition - build limits?

2»

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast Jeffrey Stedfast USXamarin Team Xamurai

@VitaliyTerziev You can use SQLite from the Mono.Data.Sqlite namespace in a Starter Edition app for sure. I'm not sure if SQLite-net (Frank Krueger's ORM binding) will work, though, since it is too large (or at least used to be).

• JonathanBuehlerJonathanBuehler Jonathan Buehler USMember

Any word on whether Xamarin for VS 2013 Community support will be activated for Starter Xamarin accounts? This article mentioned March but it doesn't appear to be working =( My VS 2013 says a business license is still required... =(

I'm trying to do some app development for a non-profit so I can't afford the big Business level license but was really excited when I read that article mentioning the Starter edition would allow VS development!

• JeremyHerbisonJeremyHerbison Jeremy Herbison CAMember ✭✭

So... that announcement indicated the community edition support would be in March. What gives?

• BentoBento Benyamin Maengkom USMember

In Game industry, Unity give a best tool for developer. Free all pro feature in personal edition. I tried it and easily published the game cross platform (iOS, Android, Blackberry, and Windows Phone), also with no royalty if revenue under $100.000. Also Unreal Engine compete with Unity. In non game app, Appcelerator trying to give existing Titanium community member, a Indie Seat for free forever (normally $39 per month). Until now, Xamarin no changes, I think it is useless for individual to use starter edition, it is entry barrier for new developer or beginner to learn, because you limit creativity just because app size limit :).

• WannyMiarelliWannyMiarelli Wanny Miarelli USMember

I get that the starter edition has a build limit.
    My brand new android project cant be build cause of that ? :open_mouth: how can i test it ?

• JoaoFortesJoaoFortes Joao Fortes ESMember

Hi,

I've downloaded the Xamarin Studio Starter for Mac. Created a new solution and pressed play. It's popup asking me to use a license. Is it possible to use Starter Edition? How do I have to create a solution to test it?

I tryied with Cross forms and iOS solutions, but both can't build or execute without a license.

Thanks

• Harald-RenFlaschHarald-RenFlasch Harald-René Flasch ATMember
    edited June 2015

Currently I am evaluating Xamarin (using trial, 20 days left) ...

The pricing page and the xamarin.com/faq#pricing didn't say lot about the starter edition. When trial period is over, what will happen? Will it automatically switched to Starter Edition?

Since Visual Studio is a "must have" for us, the smallest license will be "Business". But the Business license is paid annually ($999) so I need good arguments to convince my CEO. We're a small company and only 1-3 developers will develop using Xamarin. Any chance to get a discount?

https://store.xamarin.com/
    Prices below are per developer, per device platform with no royalties or hidden fees.

One argument for using a cross-platform tool is, that we can/like support Android, iPhone and Windows Phone and like to reduce development effort/costs.

Just discovered:

https://store.xamarin.com
    If you're a small business with 20 or fewer employees

Will forward this to our CEO and then we'll see :smile: (we are about 10 people)

• mhutchmhutch Mikayla Hutchinson USXamarin Team Xamurai

@hfrmobile you should contact sales (hello@xamarin.com) for answers to those kinds of questions :)

@mhutch already done :smile:

• FaustoCarrionFaustoCarrion Fausto Carrion USMember

Hello:
    I want to test Raspberry Pi C# code included with Learning Internet of Things book. This code uses Clayster IoT libraries. Author says the code must be compiled with Xamarin. May I use Xamarin Starter Edition to compile this code without size limitations?

Link to source code: https://github.com/Clayster

Thanks.

• LiamOHaganLiamOHagan Liam O'Hagan USMember

I was excited to see recently that there was a starter edition of xamarin, so I thought I'd try out porting some XNA games that I have written to Android, using xamarin.

The unified installer silently failed, no matter what i tried to do to get it running. After many hours of fiddling I gave up and reinstalled Win10 and VS2015. The installer finally worked and after leaving it overnight to install all of the prerequisites, I created a new blank monogame project, and tested to see if it would compile. The compiler says I'm 6x over the size limit for the starter edition, with a completely blank project!

What a waste of time. :(

• SteveK9SteveK9 Steve Bamford USMember

Hi - Is there any update on this ?

The sample xamarin forms app won't even build out of the box. Im getting errors:

User code size, 2950015 bytes, is larger than 131072 and requires aáBusinessá(or higher) License

and

Using type Android.Runtime.JNIEnv requiresáBusinessá(or higher) License.

Thanks

• rmaciasrmacias Ruben Macias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016

Xamarin.Forms is not included in the Starter Edition. It's in the fine print ;)

https://xamarin.com/starter#fn

• SteveK9SteveK9 Steve Bamford USMember

@rmacias said:
    Xamarin.Forms is not included in the Starter Edition. It's in the fine print ;)

https://xamarin.com/starter#fn

ah ok thanks - thats a shame

• clamumclamum Adam T. USMember

I am considering using Visual Studio Community 2015 with Xamarin Starter to create an Android app for a very small business (just the owner and one or two employees). As I understand it, I will need to work with a 128kb size limit for code and use Xamarin.Android (no Xamarin.Forms support). Is this correct? If so, can anyone give me a rough estimate of the kind of app that can be created with the 128kb limit? Say, an Activity with perhaps 8 different "screens" (implemented with Fragments), using ListViews to display data and "details" screens when a ListView item is clicked?

Thanks for any info.

Adam

• mattwardmattward Matt Ward GBMember Xamurai

@AdamT - There are some sample apps that work with the starter edition on the Xamarin Starter Edition page. Maybe that will give you an idea what sort of size app can be created with the Xamarin Starter Edition.

• ScottManktelowScottManktelow Scott Manktelow USMember

@clamum you can't do anything. I just followed this demo: https://www.sitepoint.com/build-cross-platform-android-ios-uis-xamarin-forms/

which has less than 50 lines of code in it and that broke the 128kb limit. I'm extremely frustrated.

• mattwardmattward Matt Ward GBMember Xamurai

@ScottManktelow - The latest version of Xamarin has no build size limits. This is the Xamarin Community edition.

• ScottManktelowScottManktelow Scott Manktelow USMember

@mattward I was excited when I read this yesterday https://blog.xamarin.com/xamarin-for-all/ and got around to updating to Visual Studio 2015 SP 3 and installing all the Xamarin tooling. My experience today was creating that sample application i referenced and being told by the compiler that my app was too big. Shouldn't the version included with VS 2015 be the latest version?

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

The Xamarin installer is downloaded separately by the Visual Studio installer during the installation process. In certain scenarios it will not forcibly update the existing Xamarin version if an older version was already installed.

• PD.6026PD.6026 P D USMember ✭✭
    edited October 2016

Hello @BrendanZagaeski ,

I have updated my Xamarin studio and other Xamarin components in my Mac system for updating for IOS 10. I was a Business license holder but as Xamarin is open source now with unlimited size app debugging possible from Visual Studio Community and Xamarin Studio community editions, I thought of using Xamarin Studio Community edition. While debugging I am getting the following error -
    Error MT9005: User code size, 6188444 bytes, is larger than 131072 bytes and requires a Indie (or higher) license.

Do I need to buy an Indie or other version or is there some problem with the update? Please help as I need to publish some IOS apps ASAP.

Thanks

2»