Xamarin Starter Edition - build limits?

Can you clarify if the build limit for Xamarin Studio Starter edition is:

• Per Solution
  • Per Project

I have several smaller solutions that work fine alone but when placed in the same solution everything comes to a crashing halt.

I've not seen any documentation to clarify this point

• mhutchmhutch Mikayla Hutchinson USXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited December 2014

It's per application.

When you build an iOS or Android executable project, the build process scans the executable and finds the assemblies it uses in order to includes them in the app. The executable and the assemblies it references are all are all counted towards the size limit, with the exception of the assemblies that are part of the framework. Note that even if the linker is set to removed unused methods from user code, the size calculation is performed before this takes place.

(edited for clarity)

• SimonJackson.6912SimonJackson.6912 Simon Jackson GBMember

I'll test again but pretty sure my single solution project has no more references than they did as single projects and no longer compiles.

also (just to make sure I understood you correctly), linked projects and third party libs/components are NOT included in the size calc?

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast Jeffrey Stedfast USXamarin Team Xamurai

To answer your last question: third party libraries and components are included in the size calculation.

That is really going to hamper the use of Xamarin Studio Starter if dependencies are included.
    Most libs I've used in the past are basically going to break this barrier and some are not at all big.
    You wouldn't be able to use even MonoGame for example in the starter edition.

Are there even any components that could be used with a reasonable amount of code and still fall under the barrier?

Or is Xamarin basically saying the free Starter edition is only a learning tool?

Not checked but do the sample apps in the Xamarin Studio dashboard compile in the starter edition?

edited April 2013

I think the plan is for exceptions to be added for certain third-party components like MonoGame and SQLite-Net but I don't think it has been done yet.

I'm pretty sure that we want Starter Edition to be actually useful for writing apps and not just as a learning tool, but we may need to adjust certain limitations as we go (i.e. remove certain limitations or bump up size limits, etc).

I know that some of the Sample Apps fail to build with Starter and it is something that we want to fix (e.g. by excepting certain core components).

Sounds like a plan, I think it would be fair to say than any Xamarin components in the component library should be excluded from the limit (especially is devs are paying for them).

MonoGame (at some point) should be a component in the lib to qualify.

I can see why the limit is there and understand it's commercial expectations, however as it stands now it's next to unusable (especially if even samples won't compile in it)

On that note for devs making components, can there be a special dev (time limited maybe?) license for which we need to register projects on the library for to build / test and deploy from Xamarin starter.
    I myself ask the question in the recent launch webcast about devs contributing to the lib but it would be an impediment for me to have to pay to offer free components (MonoGame included)

• JohnJelinekJohnJelinek John Jelinek USMember

I feel the same way. I created a brand new Android project and just added the ZXing.NET Component from the store and the project surpasses the limitations then. This is a real showstopper, preventing me from even working on the domain logic for my app.

• danskcarvalhodanskcarvalho Danilo Carvalho BRMember

Does the app size limit applies to OS X Development? Let's say I want to develop a C# console application only using BCL classes... do am I still limited to 64K of IL?

The limit only applies to iOS and Android apps, not to Mac, Windows, ASP.NET, Console, etc projects.

• leye0leye0 Leon Pelletier USMember ✭✭

White-listing Google Play Services component would be great.

• DiegoDiazEspinozaDiegoDiazEspinoza Diego Diaz CLMember

Excellent thread

• VirgiVirgi Virginie Pauwels BEMember

Bumping it up because I also think it's a great thread. Plus I wondered, since the answers from the team are nearly a year old, are there now third party libraries that we can use ?

• ChristopherDrososChristopherDrosos Christopher Drosos GRMember ✭✭

hello guys, imnew here.
    I want to make a small app that im willing to sell it when its ready from the store. can the starter plan do that, be able to sell apps on android market? i have visual studio from my university if this is helpfull.

• DaveHuntDaveHunt David Hunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

From the pricing page and the pricing faq, all editions (including starter) can sell apps on all the standard markets (Google Play, App Store, Amazon).

Having Visual Studio doesn't help, since you have to have Business edition or higher to use Visual Studio with Xamarin.Android. You will have to use Xamarin Studio with the Starter edition.

Be aware that the compiled code size restrictions and restrictions on use of third-party libraries will limit what you can do with the Starter edition. Whethter that will be a problem for you will depend on the requirements of your particular application.

thanks. i dont know what to do.. should i buy a license or not, i guess i will build the app first and see if the end result is more than 64k. if i have some mp3 files that my app use those files doesnt count for the 64k limit am i right? only the .exe and .dll files count

Only the .dll files count.

And i can use local db like sqllite and other components in the starter edition?also can i use web service or something to connect with an online database?in coding what are the restrictions?

You can use Mono.Data.Sqlite - I'm not sure about web services as I don't use them.

Yes, you can use web services. The coding limitations are no WCF and no System.Data.SqlClient.

superb. very few limitations and the 100dollar student price to break app size limitation is a good deal, nice

• jaymarvelsjaymarvels Jay Spencer GBMember ✭✭

64k is fair enough, of course I'd like more for the starter, like 128k, but "beggers can't be choosers" as they say.

For me, white listing, or not counting Google Play Services is a must.

@jstedfast‌ mentions that they want xamarin to be "we want Starter Edition to be actually useful for writing apps and not just as a learning too"

Without Play Services yes you can create apps, but no Google Analytic, no LVL, no Maps ... for an app to be useful you need some form on analytics of usage, for an app to be useful you need to implement LVL or else its just going to be [more easily] pirated.

I'm a .NET developer for a large company and do some of my own projects/hobbies on the side, so I am reluctant to invest $300 a year where I will get no return. I understand the pricing structure for full time developers, business etc, but hobbyist suffer.

So i'm all for white listing Play Services or increasing IL size so I can write my own.

We all agree that Xamarin Free is an awesome effort from Xamarin.

SO is there any update on the ability to exclude Xamarin Components from the compiler limitation.
    Working with the MonoGame team, we are very keen to be able to get people building small games with the starter edition, however until components can be excluded this just isn't possible.

• JimCheseboroughJimCheseborough Jim Cheseborough USMember

BUMP

What's the latest news in this area?!
    Thanks!

There is no news afaik. I think the problem is not enough developer cycles.

@JeffreyStedfast‌,

From your profile picture, it looks like you have one. Maybe you could loan it to your fellow developers for a while. ;-)

• AsbjornMikkelsenAsbjornMikkelsen Asbjorn Mikkelsen USMember

To use Starter, where do you find Android platform?, I downloaded universal installer, but it messed up my normal visualstudio installation, so I cannot continue with that.
    The only other available download are Xamarin studio, which includes only studio, not xamarin.android, so, it seems like to be able to use starter, one must use the universal installer, which means it's not usable in it's current form.

And yes, I have been looking around in my settings/profile page to find the "all downloads", but it's only studio or universal that is there, nothing for android.

• kcauchikcauchi Kevin Cauchi MTMember

I am working on an app but I am not sure I surpassed the 64k limit. Before I continue to implement any further, is there a way I can check this?

Also, are icons/images included in the file size?

Thanks!

Icons and images are not included in the app size, it's only the IL that gets counted toward that limit.

What you can do is build your project and then see how big your .exe is.

• JonasEriksson.6458JonasEriksson.6458 Jonas Eriksson SEMember

Anyone tried to create Cordova plugins with Xamarin Starter Edition? I like this approach http://t.co/TeOoJLGuv8 - and it would be awesome if it could be used for common but small things with the free edition (to reach a big community).

• FirstiarNoorwinantoFirstiarNoorwinanto Firstiar Noorwinanto IDMember

I've read somewhere this morning that Xamarin is doubling app size limit for starter edition. Is that true?

• kcauchikcauchi Kevin Cauchi MTMember

I read that too (I assume its true) but I am not sure by when.

And rumors has it that Starter will also get the visualstudio integration. Was told on Connect(); (channel9)

• KellyKoehnKellyKoehn Kelly Koehn USMember

I, too, would love to see the 'free' edition limit increased. At this point, I can't even add something as simple as the json.net library without crossing the limit. Kinda sad when I can build quite a functional application in VS Express and never hit any kind of limitations. Until the limit is raised/lifted, I've moved on from Xamarin. :(

• KMullinsKMullins Kevin Mullins USXamarin Team Xamurai

All,

When the Free Xamarin Starter Edition for Visual Studio Community Edition is released, we will be doubling the size limits. See the Microsoft and Xamarin Expand Global Partnership blog post:

"Free Xamarin Starter Edition for Visual Studio Users – Today, Microsoft announced a new, free edition to Visual Studio—Visual Studio Community. Visual Studio Community contains support for extensions, which means it will be Xamarin compatible with from day one. We want to help make Visual Studio Community a tool for anyone to create native apps for iOS and Android, so we are announcing our plans to enable our freely available Xamarin Starter Edition to work with Visual Studio Community. We are also doubling the size limit on apps that can be created with Xamarin Starter Edition, so that you can build even more capable apps for free. This will be available in the coming weeks."

Kevin

• spinnerspinner Frank Hansen USMember

Any news on when the new Starter Edition that includes Visual Studio support will be available?

• RoosterRooster Mark Castle GBMember

Visual Studio Community Edition was released November 12, 2014... any news on when the new Starter Edition that includes Visual Studio support will be available yet? Sorry if I'm missing something.

I was wondering about that also, three months since the announcement now?

• VitaliyTerzievVitaliyTerziev Vitaliy Terziev USMember
    edited February 2015

Hi All, first there is still no integration of the Started Edition with Visual Studio, one question -> Can i or can i not use SQLite with Starter edition? Tnx

ah forgot to mention:
    Because i am with active Trial i do not want to build some setup for my simple app and after those 30 days the same setup to be pretty much useless

one suggestion:
    -Spell check would be nice, :wink:

• RoosterRooster Mark Castle GBMember

I was wondering about that also, three months since the announcement now?

No answer I guess :-(