Xamarin.iOS Deep Dive Video

• AbhishekKumarGuptaAbhishekKumarGupta INMember, University

Thank You for Sharing this video !!

• victoriavictoria SEMember ✭✭✭

I had completely missed this! It contains so much information that would have saved me many hours of frustration. This video should really be promoted by Xamarin, because one thing they've always been terrible about is best practices. They give you six or seven different ways to implement something but don't tell you which you should use, or where you should use it, and you're bound to get at least something wrong when the example code is all over the place. I think everyone hits the delegate vs eventhandler conflict on an UIScrollView at one point or another, I finally now understand why it happens. It's things like that Xamarin needs to point out in bold flashing red text when you get started.

Also... I haven't touched Xcode in a long time. It's really sad how much faster it can build the application in the video. Have Xamarin Studio slowed down or Apple improved? I can't remember the difference being that noticeable when I switched from Xcode to Xamarin Studio back when iOS 4 was new.

• adamkempadamkemp USInsider, Developer Group Leader mod

This video should really be promoted by Xamarin, because one thing they've always been terrible about is best practices.

That's interesting because I didn't really approach this presentation from the perspective of giving best practices. My goal was just to help people understand why there were multiple ways of doing things, and how those different ways interact. I do think that's a very common problem that people face.

I think a lot of people approach Xamarin with the hope that they won't have to understand how things work under the hood. Personally I think that everyone should understand that because otherwise you just get lost when things don't quite do what you expect, and I see that a lot on the forums. That was my motivation. I'm glad you found it useful!

Very much so, you're the first person I've ever heard explain why there are so many ways to listen to someone tapping on a button, and which one you prefer. If you're just getting started with Xamarin, you really have no idea which one to use, or why. I have a lot of older code that is a mix and match between doing things the C# way and objective c way. It's a mess I hope new developers can avoid with information like this.

• FabioGFabioG ITBeta, University ✭✭✭

This is one of the reasons why I think @adamkemp should be awarded a Xamarin MVP.

• adamkempadamkemp USInsider, Developer Group Leader mod

Ha, thanks! Feel free to nominate me. ;)

• FabioGFabioG ITBeta, University ✭✭✭

Did that already :smile:

Honestly, I thought he already was!