Xamarin Universal Installer Installs JDK 1.7 on my machine. Why not JDK 1.6?

I thought Android SDK required JDK 1.6. I am now getting warnings on builds I did not get before on previous install of Xamarin Studio. I will manually install the JDK 1.6 but would be nice if I could get the Xamarin Installer to work correctly.

I have a screen shot of the Xamarin Installer prompting to install the JDK 1.7 and I can send it to u if necessary.

Thanks in advance

Best Answer

• CheesebaronCheesebaron DK mod
    Accepted Answer

Starting from the Android SDK build tools version 19, there is support for JDK 7.

From Android L-preview there is now more support for JDK 7 along with some language features, some of the language features need the minSdkVersion set to 19. However, I highly doubt Xamarin is using them not to break backwards compatibility.

So in general, yes you can build an Android project with JDK 7, however targets below 19 cannot use new Java language features.

When signing using JDK 7 you need to add -sigalg MD5withRSA and -digestalg SHA1 to the jarsigner command, otherwise you should be good to go with JDK 7.

Answers

• CheesebaronCheesebaron DKInsider, University mod
    Accepted Answer

Starting from the Android SDK build tools version 19, there is support for JDK 7.

From Android L-preview there is now more support for JDK 7 along with some language features, some of the language features need the minSdkVersion set to 19. However, I highly doubt Xamarin is using them not to break backwards compatibility.

So in general, yes you can build an Android project with JDK 7, however targets below 19 cannot use new Java language features.

When signing using JDK 7 you need to add -sigalg MD5withRSA and -digestalg SHA1 to the jarsigner command, otherwise you should be good to go with JDK 7.

• sheridanjrsheridanjr USMember

Thanks.