StackTrace when debugging shows Unknown identifier: Instance

seansparkmanseansparkman modUSInsider, University, Developer Group Leader mod

When I try to look at the stack trace in Visual Studio while debugging, I cannot see the full thing. It shows trimmed version in the window, and when I click on the item in Locals window, it changes the text to "Unknown identifier: Instance". When I add it to watch, it does the same thing. This happens for me in both iOS and Android debugging. The full stack trace shows up in Insights, so what am I doing wrong?

• john82john82 ✭✭✭ ITMember ✭✭✭

I've got a similar problem with Android. When I debug my code i see always "Unknown identifier: Instance Name" on locals, watch, etc.

any idea?

• seansparkmanseansparkman mod USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader mod

Sorry, nope, still have the issue.

• FredyWengerFredyWenger ✭✭✭✭✭ CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

I work with XF and have updated to 1.3.1 (Forms) and try to use the new persistent settings (Application.Current.Properties.xx).
    I have the same Problem now with "Unknow Indentifier: Application" in Android and iOS, while it works in WP.
    If the Application-object really would be unknown, I think, I should not be able to compile... very strange...

• willemodendaalwillemodendaal USMember, University

Xamarin Studio is really making me tired today. Same problem.

• AlexStrongAlexStrong ✭✭ GBMember ✭✭

Anyone work out a resolution for this, it's very annoying! Like trying to shoot in the dark!

Unknown identifier: VariableName

@AlexStrong.6706:
    This is only one of the various problems.
    I have filled bugs for this problem months ago - nothing happen (or false - it get worse and worse).
    You should have a look at the VS-forum (or false... better you don't should).

@sean-sparkman, @FrancescoColombo, @willemodendaal, @AlexStrong.6706 and at all other readers of this thread.
    I have tested the latest pre-Alpha to the VS-X-Integration software.
    You can find my findings here:
    forums.xamarin.com/discussion/41844/my-findings-after-test-if-the-newest-xamarin-vs-integration-software#latest

I think, this should be interesting for you... :sunglasses:

• john82john82 ✭✭✭ ITMember ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info. Sad to know that the "Unknown Identifier" bug is still there :(

Also the latest release of Xamarin.Android is unstable and do not allow debug in VS
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29670

• AlmaJensenAlmaJensen USMember

I know this forum post is a little old I'm getting this now as well too. My trouble started after upgrading to vs 2015. It caused this to start happening in Xamarin Studio and my install of vs 2013.

@AlmaJensen
    You are right - this is a old forum post - but it's still not solved :anguished:
    And it has become worse instead of better...
    I still work with VS2013 - update 2.
    Although I have filled bugs months ago in bugzilla, the issue is still not solved.
    First, only core-elements like the application-object were not known.
    With the latest update, also my own variables sometimes are "not known" in the debugger :angry:

• TatamTatam AUMember

Any News on this issue?

• MichaelZinoMichaelZino CAMember

Any News on this issue? Experiencing the very same VS 2015/Update 1.

No... but the bug exists only since about 13 months...

• PeteVickersPeteVickers ✭✭ GBMember ✭✭

EXTREMELY frustrating - it is back to the old days of add debug statements. This really does need fixing as it affects productivity

• RobertBruceRobertBruce ✭✭ USMember ✭✭

I believe I have identified what triggers the issue as well as the available work-arounds. Surprisingly, class file location matters. See full analysis at:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/63880/unknown-identifier-bug-work-around-and-identification-of-scenarios-which-trigger-it

Also, I've updated the related Xamarin Bugzilla page accordingly:
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=21742

Cheers!

• johnsmith.4804johnsmith.4804 USMember

I am getting "Unknown identifier: Application" while trying to debug an application in Visual Studio. Unable to see any variable in any file, including files in the root folder.

• Gigex42Gigex42 ✭✭✭✭ USMember ✭✭✭✭

Seems like it still exists..

Yes, also with 2.3.0 and VS2015 Update 3 RC :disappointed:

• DaveHuntDaveHunt ✭✭✭✭✭ USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Bugzilla shows the fix for this is targeted for Cycle 7 SR2. Stable is at Cycle 7 SR0, so it should be "coming soon".

@DaveHunt :
    If you can say me the date to "soon" I will spend you a beer (unfortunately a virtual one :wink: )

• SuatKorkmazSuatKorkmaz ✭✭✭ USMember ✭✭✭

App.Helper (Make the helper prop static in App.cs: doesn't work)
    (App.Current as Application).Helper (doesn't work)
    Application.Current ....... doesn't work

Great.

And.. this is far not the only thing, that doesn't work (since soon two years) .
    Greater

• AdrianKnightAdrianKnight ✭✭✭✭ USMember ✭✭✭✭

I have this issue as well. It's very annoying.

• JoakimMnssonJoakimMnsson ✭✭ SEMember ✭✭

UWP works fine calling App.Property (App inherits Application) but running the exact same code on Android gives me App-Unknown identifier: App. Anyone have a solution?

Xamarin has to have a solution - but it seems as Xamarin don't care, that every developer loses a lot of time with the not working Xamarin environment.
    That we can use a working debugger is an absoute basic! The problem is known since 2 Years ... but seem not to care Xamarin (the same is true for so many other bugs in XF and also in the rest of dev environment).

• RanKaratRanKarat ILMember

Is there any new solution to this problem?

• I have the exact same issue in Xamarin Studio. Is there any update?

I can't believe this is an ongoing problem...? Do any of the big names have any suggestion as to how to get around this? @JamesMontemagno @adamkemp @AdamWolf ?

• AdamWolfAdamWolf ✭✭ USMember, University ✭✭

Hi @AlexStrong, I am out of the mobile app game. Thank you for thinking of me as anything more than a small part of the Xamarin community.

• I commented in bugzilla about this https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=33665. Apparently is confirmed but isn't updated for a long time.

• MarcojakMarcojak GBMember

I don't know what's happening to Xamarin. After the acquisition, they seem slower than usual to fix problems or release new versions. I was hoping that with Microsoft the team would be improved but now it seems the opposite. I truly love Xamarin, I moved to another country to work with it, I'm a certified developer and I wrote a lot of apps with Xamarin but sometimes I really hate the way they solve bugs or release "stable" versions!!!

@Marcoj:
    Exactly... and... you're not the only one!

• I filed a bug in android designer a few days ago, and in 3 days it was solved. The assigned member checked my logged files and found what caused the problem. I don't know that takes them so long with this one. It's really basic functionality too.

Just an update to this which is a workaround and not a solution, so as to avoid having to write debug lines to get the info from code we have noticed that in a quick watch if you fully qualify App."Property" then it seems to work.

e.g.
    App.User doesn't work
    AppNamespace.App.User does work! (Assuming you have a property called User)

@AdamWolf Shame you're not in the game any more I often come across your blog for help with Xamarin related things!

• RohitPatelRohitPatel AUMember

@RohitPatel:
    This don't work in my case (that was one of the first things I have tried).

• BrownShomariBrownShomari ✭✭ USMember ✭✭

It's so amazing! @RohiPatel's suggestion worked for me. In fact, I just used the fully-qualified name of the object.

• DerProgrammiererDerProgrammierer ✭✭✭ DEMember ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

@RohitPatel Thanks, this workaround works for me. However, I don't think this is amazing. This is a really horrible, ugly bug that should have a high priority in fixing it imo.

EDIT: I've found out that this bug will be fixed in the next release: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=21742

Thanks a lot Joaquin Jares!

@DerProgrammierer
    Thanks for posting here...

@joj:

In WHICH version of what "peace of software" the bug should be fixed?
    As this is an extremely ugly bug for many (almost all) users:
    Please post a detailed advice here, which software version(s) have to be updated to fix the problem, as soon as the bug is fixed
    Thanks

edited March 2017

@seansparkman, @john82, @willemodendaal, @AlexStrong, @john82, @AlmaJensen, @Tatam, @MichaelZino, @PeteVickers, @RobertBruce, @johnsmith.4804, @Daniel.Reiter, @DaveHunt, @SuatKorkmaz, @AdrianKnight, @JoakimMnsson, @RanKarat, @Marina_Gournianaki, @AlexStrong, @AdamWolf, @Marcojak, @RohitPatel, @BrownShomari, @DerProgrammierer

As Xamarin don't answer here, I'm subscribed to the bugzilla bug and there is now an information to version...
    According to Xamarin, the bug should be be solved with (I don't have tested) :

Microsoft Visual Studio Ultimate 2013
    Version 12.0.40629.00 Update 5
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.6.01055
    Xamarin 4.3.1.39 (a70e3a1)
    Xamarin.Android 7.2.0.1 (ff38526)
    Xamarin.iOS 10.8.0.17 (49a63dc)

I hope, that's true.... :sunglasses:

Link bugzilla:
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=21742