Can Mono-runtime be bundled with C# class library to run on Linux without having Mono installed?

I realize Linux isn't a mobile OS as such (although Android is based on it), but can I use Xamarin to create a Mono/C# dll that would be usable on an Ubuntu box? (And perhaps called via Ruby)

Best Answer

Answers

• Thanks. As Mono is sponsored by Xamarin, I'm hoping I can get away with one more question ;-) Does MonoDevelop result in an app that can be run without the Mono-runtime first being installed... i.e., is the Mono-runtime part of the resulting app?

• adamkempadamkemp USInsider, Developer Group Leader mod

I don't know the answer to that, and you really will have better luck taking these questions to the Mono site.

• OK - thanks anyway...

• TonyGTonyG USMember ✭✭

I came here with the same question. To my understanding, Xamarin Studio is a fork of MonoDevelop. It would be very cool if we could build a C#/Mono app in Xamarin Studio and deploy to Linux. It seems a waste to have to load MonoDevelop just for that target platform. I'll take this over to the Mono folks too, but i suspect few people there would know about Xamarin Studio unless they happen to develop mobile apps too. Anyone?