"Missing 64-bit support" warning when validating apps for the App Store

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan ZagaeskiUSForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited November 2014 in iOS

Apple has recently added a warning during app validation to caution users that apps for the App Store will require 64-bit support starting on February 1, 2015. This warning does not yet prevent uploading and publishing 32-bit-only apps.

If you like, you can migrate your app to the Xamarin Unified API to add 64-bit support. The Unified API is available in the current stable and beta builds, but note that is still in "preview" because the API is not yet finalized. Certain types and methods are still being revised, so if you move to the Unified API now, you might need to update a few types and methods after the finalized Unified API release.

Additional information about the Unified API:

Warning messages

Xcode Organizer archive validation

Archive validation completed with warnings:

The archive passed validation with several warnings.

iTunes Store operation failed.
Missing 64-bit support. Starting February 1, 2015, new iOS apps uploaded to the App Store must include 64-bit support and be built with the iOS 8 SDK, included in Xcode 6 or later. To enable 64-bit in your project, we recommend using the default Xcode build setting of "Standard architectures" to build a single binary with both 32-bit and 64-...

Application loader

WARNING ITMS-9000: "Missing 64-bit support. Starting February 1, 2015, new iOS apps uploaded to the App Store must include 64-bit support and be built with the iOS 8 SDK, included in Xcode 6 or later. To enable 64-bit in your project, we recommend using the default Xcode build setting of “Standard architectures” to build a single binary with both 32-bit and 64-bit code."

• MathieuJACQUINOTMathieuJACQUINOT Mathieu JACQUINOT FRMember

You write "If you like, you can migrate your app to the Xamarin Unified API to add 64-bit support."

... Is it really "if I like"? I understand this is absolulty necessary if I want to be able to continue publishing my apps after feb 1st!
    Please clarify.

• lufo88lufo88 lufo88 USMember ✭✭✭

You write "If you like, you can migrate your app to the Xamarin Unified API to add 64-bit support."

... Is it really "if I like"? I understand this is absolulty necessary if I want to be able to continue publishing my apps after feb 1st! Please clarify.

Absolutely agree.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited November 2014

If you like, you can migrate now instead of waiting for the finalized Unified API release. The finalized release will be available before February 1, 2015. You will eventually be required to move to the Unified API (starting on February 1, 2015), but it's still optional at the moment.

• JohnHairJohnHair John Hair GBMember ✭✭✭

I was going to ask when the finalized version of the Unified API would be released?
    And is there a list of known bugs/issues with it? I wanted to start my migration in December, but not if its still in flux. I was burned with another Xamarin 'release' that was put out before it was ready...

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited November 2014

Watch for a blog post on http://blog.xamarin.com/ in the upcoming month about the timeline for the finalized Unified API release. Alpha or beta channel builds will likely be available starting in December. There is no centralized list of known bugs in the preview versions. There are certainly some rough edges (for example [1]) as well as some APIs that will change in the final release, but the preview versions can already be used to publish 64-bit apps on the app store. For example, https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/days-until-xmas/id578104612?mt=8 is a unified 32+ 64-bit app.

• ErikFAndersenErikFAndersen Erik F. Andersen DKMember

Yeah, Xamarin's a little late to the party it would seem.

• xeoxeo Francesco Pretelli NZMember

I've migrated an app to unified API but I still get that warning from Xcode when submitting it. Is it normal?

• JrgAckermannJrgAckermann Jörg Ackermann DEMember, University

I have the same problem as xeo - upgraded my project using Tamarin Studio and fixed all errors, but the warning is still there.

• GerryHighGerryHigh Gerry High USBeta ✭✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski I'd say there are more than some "rough edges" - read this thread http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/29104/issue-after-converting-to-64-bits-detectsigningidentitytask#latest

So far it's a show stopper and I'm going to have to stash a bunch of changes until a fix is available.

• AdnanKhanAdnanKhan Adnan Khan USMember

I've migrated an app to unified API but I still get that warning from Xcode when submitting it. Should I Ignore this message?

• MarkusSchillerMarkusSchiller Markus Schiller DEMember

Hi,
    as of today the warning is still there with the new Xamarin Dlls. Whats going on?

• rmaciasrmacias Ruben Macias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

Under your iOS project settings, go to iOSBuild, then click on the Advanced tab. Make sure you include ARM64 in your Supported Architectures.

• KMullinsKMullins Kevin Mullins USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Hi @rmacias‌,

Thanks for pointing this out. I've updated our 32 and 64 bit Platform Considerations document to make this point clearer.

Please let me know if anyone has any questions.

Thanks,

Kevin

@KMullins‌, no problem. Also, I'm not sure if it's just me. But ARM64 does not appear when I use Visual Studio. But it does appear when I use Xamarin Studio to build. It threw me for a loop for a while, but realized it was present only when I build with Xamarin Studio. Possible bug in the VS UI??

edited January 2015

@rmacias‌, let me check with the Visual Studio team and see. You might also want to see if a bug has been opened for this in Bugzilla and either add to an existing one or file a new one if it hasn't.

Again, thanks for the information.

Kevin

Looks like there is a bug report:

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=25796

• MarkusSchillerMarkusSchiller Markus Schiller DEMember

Hi there,
    thanks to all for the quick answers. What are the meanings of the different architectures (v7, 64). Which one should we exactly choose? Or do they produce all the same code?

Hi @MarkusSchiller‌,

Here is a definition of all the different architectures:

ARMv7s is the latest architecture supported only by the A6 processor included in the iPhone 5 (or greater). ARMv7 code is faster and smaller than the ARMv6 but only works with the iPhone 3GS and later, but is required by Apple when targeting the iPad or a minimum iOS version of 5.0. ARMv6 works on all devices but is no longer supported by the compiler shipped with Xcode 4.5 and later. ARM64 is required to support iOS 8 on iPhone 6 or other 64 bit devices and will be required by Apple when submitting new or updating exiting applications in the iTunes App Store.

Including multiple architectures doubles the size of the executable, but allows for newer devices to use better optimized code while still supporting older devices.

I've also added this information to the documentation.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Kevin

• Gianangeli1977Gianangeli1977 Daniele Gianangeli ITMember

I trasform my app with unified api in Xamarin Studio and changed my supported architectures to "ARMv7 + AMRv7s + ARM64".
    Rebuild and it's ok but when i submission my app to appstore, i receive always:
    "Missing 64-bit support - Beginning on February 1, 2015 new iOS apps submitted to the App Store must include 64-bit support and be built with the iOS 8 SDK. Beginning June 1, 2015 app updates will also need to follow the same requirements. To enable 64-bit in your project, we recommend using the default Xcode build setting of “Standard architectures” to build a single binary with both 32-bit and 64-bit code."
    I am desperate. Someone help me?

• SebRichardsSebRichards Seb Richards GBMember

@Gianangeli1977 See https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=25796. Fix is to manually add 'ARM64' under in the project file.

• AuriRahimzadehAuriRahimzadeh Auri Rahimzadeh USMember

Also, make sure that, when building and Archiving for Publishing, you target Device instead of any device you have plugged in. If the device you have connected is 32-bit, such as the iPhone 5c, the Archive for Publishing appears to archive a 32-bit version, whoops.

• kodejackkodejack Gordon Langford GBUniversity
    edited July 2016

@AuriRahimzadeh said:

Also, make sure that, when building and Archiving for Publishing, you target Device instead of any device you have plugged in. If the device you have connected is 32-bit, such as the iPhone 5c, the Archive for Publishing appears to archive a 32-bit version, whoops.

This is what I was missing when my archive was having this strange behaviour. Good catch! Xamarin need to have look at this. What I have plugged in at the time of archiving should have no bearing on what it archives.

Also note that I had to restart Xamarin to get this to reset and correctly archive both architectures.