Noob problem. Can't even compile a completely "new" solution

CarledCarled GBMember

Hi all. Trying to do a simple web service. If I create "new" > "solution" > "asp.net" and then either c# OR vb.net I cannot "build" that solution even before I touch anything else.

With vb it complains about the project already having a reference to system.web, system.xml, system.web.services and another one I can't remember right now. If I delete all those files from references in the solution tree, it compiles! However if I then add a web service file and a simple webmethod, I get an error on compile saying it can't find "webmethod"... (presumably because I deleted the system.web.service reference!

With c# it's even worse. I get 22 errors! global.asax is ripped apart with "can't find 'object'" and it also complains about the "webmethod" reference.

I can't find any reference to this online... I'm using windows 7 x64.

• RicardoRomoSoaresRicardoRomoSoares BRBeta ✭✭
    edited April 2013

I trying the same thing, but what I noting was that Xamarin Studio is not putting the header necessary to files to web projects.

If you create a new file for example to web form, XS doesn't putting the usings:

using System;
    using System.Web;
    using System.Web.UI;

XS is putting only the namespace body. I think that is some problem in templates for web files.

put those yourself.

• CarledCarled GBMember

Yes that worked, thanks very much.

Would seem sensible for Xamarin to mention something like this prominently!

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

This is a regression, we'll look at getting it fixed.

Unfortunately ASP.NET support in Xamarin Studio / MonoDevelop is not developed very actively. Xamarin's resources are focused on iOS/Android/Mac development tooling and the C#/editor/debugger core that supports it.

I'd be happy to provide pointers for anyone who's interesting in contributing to the ASP.NET side of things (or anything else for that matter).