I can't switch to a branch using the Version Control menu

JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I have created a new branch for my GIT controlled project using the Manage Branches menu under Version Control.

Now when I select the branch to change to it, i get the following exception from Xamarin Studio:

Branch switch failed. Value does not fall within the expected range.

NGit.Errors.RevisionSyntaxException: Value does not fall within the expected range.
  at NGit.Repository.Resolve (NGit.Revwalk.RevWalk rw, System.String revstr) [0x007f1] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-bs1/2be11af9/source/monodevelop/main/external/ngit/NGit/NGit/Repository.cs:915 
  at NGit.Repository.Resolve (System.String revstr) [0x00007] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-bs1/2be11af9/source/monodevelop/main/external/ngit/NGit/NGit/Repository.cs:403 
  at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git.GitUtil.GetChangedFiles (NGit.Repository repo, System.String refRev) [0x00007] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-bs1/2be11af9/source/monodevelop/main/src/addins/VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git/GitUtil.cs:212 
  at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git.GitRepository.SwitchToBranch (IProgressMonitor monitor, System.String branch) [0x00022] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-bs1/2be11af9/source/monodevelop/main/src/addins/VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git/GitRepository.cs:1184 
  at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git.GitService+<SwitchToBranch>c__AnonStorey12.<>m__1E (System.Object ) [0x00000] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-bs1/2be11af9/source/monodevelop/main/src/addins/VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git/GitService.cs:118 :Version 2.1

Any suggestions on how I can switch to my branch using the Xamarin Studio?

Note: I created a new branch, with it tracking the 'master' branch.

Thanks,

• JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I figured it out. I was naming my branch version 2.1

I changed the branch name to v210 and it worked fine. I was suspicious that it didnt like the . in 2.1 or the spaces. So I removed both and I was able to switch.

• mhutchmhutch USXamarin Team Xamurai

Good catch, we should have some validation on the input. Could you please file a bug?

• JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited March 2013

Could you please file a bug?

Sure.
    For reference: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11449