Wondering if there is an extensibility API along the lines of what Visual Studio has

Am just beginning the work on integrating my virtual machine/language platform into Visual Studio debugger and editor and would like to be thinking strategically about extending it to Xamarin in the future to broaden the reach to Linux and the Mac, if that is at all possible. Would be looking for things like a debug event model like the AD7 APIs that Visual Studio has and possible XAML-based editor customization and language support. It would also be nice to be free of some of the constraints of working with the Microsoft platform, like, for example, the ability to integrate my language runtime with the JVM as well as the CLR, which I don't think is allowed from within Visual Studio itself.

Does such an animal exist or is it possibly in the plans going forward? Or might there be any open source activity around this idea?

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast USXamarin Team Xamurai

Xamarin Studio is completely made up of addins, so yea, it's quite extensible. The core of Xamarin Studio (aka MonoDevelop) is also open source: https://github.com/mono/monodevelop so if you need more extensibility than what it has, you can add the necessary hooks.