code editor line height

PierPier MXMember

So how can I change the line height of the code editor?

• MikeKrgerMikeKrger DEXamarin Team, Beta Xamurai

The only way doing that is changing the font in the options.

• PierPier MXMember

But the font panel doesn't have any line options...

• MikeKrgerMikeKrger DEXamarin Team, Beta Xamurai

There is no 'line option' and I don't think there ever will be. But choosing a larger font changes the line height as well because the chars are bigger.

If you want fewer lines on your screen try it with a bigger/different font. That may be an option.

• PierPier MXMember

It's not that I want less lines on the screen, I want more distance between the lines. Making the text bigger doesn't accomplish that.

It would be great if the devs behind MonoDevelop / Xamarin Studio took notice of how small text editors like Sublime Text do things. They are lightyears away in many aspects of code writing, such as being able to configure the editor.

• PierPier MXMember

It's 2016... still no way to format the code editor properly?

• IstvanPalfyIstvanPalfy USMember ✭✭
    edited September 2016

Yes it's true: Not enough line spacing is a serious issue for me too. I cannot use "Dark Mode" in Xamarin Studio, because it really hurts my eyes.

See a comparison of the same code on VS Code and Xamarin Studio in attached image.

VS Code is much easier to read due to the bigger line spacing. So Xamarin Studio is the only application I cannot use in dark mode. Quite annoying ...

• PierPier MXMember

VSCode, Atom, and SublimeText, are lightyears ahead of Xamarin Studio as far as code writing goes.

I'm guessing at some point Microsoft will probably kill Xamarin Studio. On Windows the focus is on Visual Studio, and on Mac... well, I'm hoping the focus will be on VSCode since it's safe to say we'll never get Visual Studio for Mac.