debug iOS over WiFi / BT

Is there any possibility to debug a Xamarin solution over WiFi / BT instead of the usb cable?
My need is to test an app on the iPad that makes use of an external MIDI device so the iPad's port is not accessible.

Thank you

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller USBeta, Developer Group Leader ✭✭

According to the documentation, you should be able to debug over WiFi, but you must initiate the debugging session over the USB cable first. I haven't tried it, but it's documented by Xamarin here.

Debugging over BT is a probably a non-starter. The Bluestack in iOS is pretty limited for networking.

• VaderVader ITMember, Beta

Great ! It works !

• anveanve DEMember ✭✭✭

Is this still possible? On the Xamarin page the information seems to be removed ...

• bryan1bryan1 IEMember ✭✭
    edited September 2017

Does anyone know if this is possible? I need to debug over wifi or bluetooth as I need to connect my device to an external device via the lightning cable (which it can't share with visual studio at the same time)

• dotnotdotnot Member

I can't get this working either. i have an iPhone available in the Xcode device manager, it has the network symbol present, but in visual studio it is not present in debug device list like it when its plugged in - any pointers anyone?

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USXamarin Team, University Xamurai

As per the guide I linked in my last comment, the iPhone does need to be connected (to the Mac) when you start debugging. Once the debugger is connected, then you can disconnect the USB and continue debugging over WiFi. Note where it says in that guide that

"Launching of application is still done through the USB cable, so the initial launch will still require you to have the cable plugged. But once started, you can safely unplug and continue your debugging session over WiFi."