Tooling failure, successful build without a Mac.

CharlesHoranCharlesHoran USMember ✭✭
edited October 2014 in Visual Studio

I've been attempting to troubleshoot issues building/testing the IOS portion of my project. As part of that I did a 'clean' then powered down my Mac(I wanted to see what error information the build process would generate without a Mac). Much to my surprise the build succeeded! Or at least that is what the build file reported. If you read the log, rather than reporting errors you are simply skipping the targets.

I really really want to like this product, but sloppy tooling and inconsistent behaviours are driving me insane. I could live with odd requirements, I can't deal with buggy tooling. At the very least it reduces my confidence in your product, at the very worst it will get your product tossed out.

I can occasionally get an Ios debug session to start by right clicking on my .Ios project and selecting Debug->Start new instance, but even that is not consistent.

I'll say it again because I'm not convinced that Xamarin is hearing this clearly from their user community. I really want to like this product. I do like the xaml cross platform support. I do not like the buggy amateurish tooling support within Visual Studio it is costing me time. Do it right or don't to it. Right now you are simply not doing it right.

Just for laughs and chuckles here is the relevant build log, please note the line 'Fail to resolve address'. If you can't connect to your build host the build should FAIL!
2>------ Build started: Project: Teachers.iOS, Configuration: IOS Debug iPhoneSimulator ------ 2>Build started 24/10/2014 4:02:23 AM. 2>_GenerateBuildSessionId: 2> Generated session id: 3cf86bffabea43608505009ff94c61e2 2>_SayHello: 2> Fail to resolve address 2>_CoreCompileColladaAssets: 2>Skipping target "_CoreCompileColladaAssets" because it has no inputs. 2>_CoreOptimizePngImages: 2>Skipping target "_CoreOptimizePngImages" because it has no inputs. 2>GenerateXamlG: 2> Skipping XamlG 2>GenerateTargetFrameworkMonikerAttribute: 2>Skipping target "GenerateTargetFrameworkMonikerAttribute" because all output files are up-to-date with respect to the input files. 2>CoreCompile: 2> C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\bin\csc.exe /noconfig /nowarn:2008 /nostdlib+ /platform:AnyCPU /errorreport:prompt /define:__MOBILE__;__IOS__;__MOBILE__;__IOS__;DEBUG /errorendlocation /preferreduilang:en-US /reference:"F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\ExifLib.PCL.1.0.0\lib\portable-net45+sl50+win+WindowsPhoneApp81+wp80+MonoAndroid10+MonoTouch10\ExifLib.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\monotouch.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\mscorlib.dll" /reference:"F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\PCLStorage.1.0.0\lib\portable-monotouch+Xamarin.iOS+Xamarin.Mac\PCLStorage.Abstractions.dll" /reference:"F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\PCLStorage.1.0.0\lib\portable-monotouch+Xamarin.iOS+Xamarin.Mac\PCLStorage.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\System.Core.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\System.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\System.Xml.dll" /reference:"F:\NoteBridge Mobile\Teachers\Teachers\bin\IOS Debug\Teachers.dll" /reference:"F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\Xamarin.Forms.1.2.3.6257\lib\MonoTouch10\Xamarin.Forms.Core.dll" /reference:"F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\Xamarin.Forms.Labs.1.2.0\lib\MonoTouch\Xamarin.Forms.Labs.dll" /reference:"F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\Xamarin.Forms.Labs.1.2.0\lib\MonoTouch\Xamarin.Forms.Labs.iOS.dll" /reference:"F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\Xamarin.Forms.1.2.3.6257\lib\MonoTouch10\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.dll" /reference:"F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\Xamarin.Forms.1.2.3.6257\lib\MonoTouch10\Xamarin.Forms.Xaml.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Collections.Concurrent.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Collections.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.ComponentModel.Annotations.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.ComponentModel.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.ComponentModel.EventBasedAsync.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Diagnostics.Contracts.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Diagnostics.Debug.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Diagnostics.Tools.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Dynamic.Runtime.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Globalization.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.IO.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Linq.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Linq.Expressions.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Linq.Parallel.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Linq.Queryable.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Net.NetworkInformation.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Net.Primitives.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Net.Requests.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.ObjectModel.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Reflection.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Reflection.Extensions.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Reflection.Primitives.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Resources.ResourceManager.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Runtime.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Runtime.Extensions.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Runtime.InteropServices.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Runtime.InteropServices.WindowsRuntime.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Runtime.Numerics.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Runtime.Serialization.Json.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Runtime.Serialization.Primitives.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Runtime.Serialization.Xml.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Security.Principal.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.ServiceModel.Http.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.ServiceModel.Primitives.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Text.Encoding.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Text.Encoding.Extensions.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Text.RegularExpressions.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Threading.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Threading.Tasks.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Xml.ReaderWriter.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Xml.XDocument.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoTouch\v1.0\Facades\System.Xml.XmlSerializer.dll" /debug+ /debug:full /out:"obj\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\FormsTemplateiOS.exe" /target:exe /utf8output Main.cs AppDelegate.cs Properties\AssemblyInfo.cs "C:\Users\Charles\AppData\Local\Temp\MonoTouch,Version=v1.0.AssemblyAttributes.cs" "obj\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\\TemporaryGeneratedFile_E7A71F73-0F8D-4B9B-B56E-8E70B10BC5D3.cs" "obj\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\\TemporaryGeneratedFile_036C0B5B-1481-4323-8D20-8F5ADCB23D92.cs" "obj\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\\TemporaryGeneratedFile_5937a670-0e60-4077-877b-f7221da3dda1.cs" 2>_CopyFilesMarkedCopyLocal: 2> Copying file from "F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\ExifLib.PCL.1.0.0\lib\portable-net45+sl50+win+WindowsPhoneApp81+wp80+MonoAndroid10+MonoTouch10\ExifLib.dll" to "bin\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\ExifLib.dll". 2> Copying file from "F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\PCLStorage.1.0.0\lib\portable-monotouch+Xamarin.iOS+Xamarin.Mac\PCLStorage.Abstractions.dll" to "bin\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\PCLStorage.Abstractions.dll". 2> Copying file from "F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\PCLStorage.1.0.0\lib\portable-monotouch+Xamarin.iOS+Xamarin.Mac\PCLStorage.dll" to "bin\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\PCLStorage.dll". 2> Copying file from "F:\NoteBridge Mobile\Teachers\Teachers\bin\IOS Debug\Teachers.dll" to "bin\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\Teachers.dll". 2> Copying file from "F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\Xamarin.Forms.1.2.3.6257\lib\MonoTouch10\Xamarin.Forms.Core.dll" to "bin\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\Xamarin.Forms.Core.dll". 2> Copying file from "F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\Xamarin.Forms.Labs.1.2.0\lib\MonoTouch\Xamarin.Forms.Labs.dll" to "bin\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\Xamarin.Forms.Labs.dll". 2> Copying file from "F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\Xamarin.Forms.Labs.1.2.0\lib\MonoTouch\Xamarin.Forms.Labs.iOS.dll" to "bin\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\Xamarin.Forms.Labs.iOS.dll". 2> Copying file from "F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\Xamarin.Forms.1.2.3.6257\lib\MonoTouch10\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.dll" to "bin\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.dll". 2> Copying file from "F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\Xamarin.Forms.1.2.3.6257\lib\MonoTouch10\Xamarin.Forms.Xaml.dll" to "bin\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\Xamarin.Forms.Xaml.dll". 2> Copying file from "F:\NoteBridge Mobile\Teachers\Teachers\bin\IOS Debug\Teachers.pdb" to "bin\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\Teachers.pdb". 2> Copying file from "F:\NoteBridge Mobile\Teachers\Teachers\bin\IOS Debug\Teachers.dll.mdb" to "bin\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\Teachers.dll.mdb". 2> Copying file from "F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\PCLStorage.1.0.0\lib\portable-monotouch+Xamarin.iOS+Xamarin.Mac\PCLStorage.xml" to "bin\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\PCLStorage.xml". 2> Copying file from "F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\PCLStorage.1.0.0\lib\portable-monotouch+Xamarin.iOS+Xamarin.Mac\PCLStorage.Abstractions.xml" to "bin\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\PCLStorage.Abstractions.xml". 2> Copying file from "F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\Xamarin.Forms.1.2.3.6257\lib\MonoTouch10\Xamarin.Forms.Core.xml" to "bin\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\Xamarin.Forms.Core.xml". 2> Copying file from "F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\Xamarin.Forms.Labs.1.2.0\lib\MonoTouch\Xamarin.Forms.Labs.xml" to "bin\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\Xamarin.Forms.Labs.xml". 2> Copying file from "F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\Xamarin.Forms.Labs.1.2.0\lib\MonoTouch\Xamarin.Forms.Labs.dll.mdb" to "bin\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\Xamarin.Forms.Labs.dll.mdb". 2> Copying file from "F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\Xamarin.Forms.Labs.1.2.0\lib\MonoTouch\Xamarin.Forms.Labs.iOS.xml" to "bin\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\Xamarin.Forms.Labs.iOS.xml". 2> Copying file from "F:\NoteBridge Mobile\packages\Xamarin.Forms.1.2.3.6257\lib\MonoTouch10\Xamarin.Forms.Xaml.xml" to "bin\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\Xamarin.Forms.Xaml.xml". 2>CopyFilesToOutputDirectory: 2> Copying file from "obj\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\FormsTemplateiOS.exe" to "bin\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\FormsTemplateiOS.exe". 2> Teachers.iOS -> F:\NoteBridge Mobile\Teachers\Teachers.iOS\bin\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\FormsTemplateiOS.exe 2> Copying file from "obj\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\FormsTemplateiOS.pdb" to "bin\iPhoneSimulator\IOS Debug\FormsTemplateiOS.pdb". 2>_CopyContentToBundle: 2>Skipping target "_CopyContentToBundle" because it has no outputs. 2>_ConvertDebuggingFiles: 2>Building target "_ConvertDebuggingFiles" partially, because some output files are out of date with respect to their input files. 2> 2>Build succeeded. 2> 2>Time Elapsed 00:00:00.36 ========== Build: 2 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========