Build failed: Couldn't perform atomic initialization

Well this is new. I just allowed the automatic upgrade to 5.5.2 (build 3), Xamarin.Mac Version: 1.10.0.18 (Business Edition). But now, when I try to run the same project that ran just fine yesterday, I get:

Building: TechFlow.Mac (Debug)

---------------------- Done ----------------------

Build failed. Couldn't perform atomic initialization
Build: 1 error, 0 warnings

A quick search doesn't turn up anything useful (apparently there's a similar error that occurs with subversion, though).

Any insights on how to get running again?

Thanks,

• Joe

• ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

From here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9012538/svn-commit-error-couldnt-perform-atomic-operation

I'd see if your file system has space / isn't read only? Maybe reboot your machine?

I've never seen anything like that before and a quick grep of the xamarin.mac source code doesn't show that string from what I can tell.

• JoeStroutJoeStrout USMember

Argh. Still stuck on this one. My disk has 371 GB free and is certainly not read-only. I've rebooted the machine, and it's still happening.

I've pasted the entire contents of the build log above... any ideas how I can get more clues about the failure?

Ooh, maybe this does have something to do with svn after all. Shortly after the above error, I tried to right-click the project in the navigator panel, and another error popped up. This dialog says "An error has occurred" and "Error while updating status of command: MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git.Commands.SwitchToBranch", with the following details

MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.SubversionException: Couldn't perform atomic initialization
      at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.Unix.UnixSvnBackend.GetDirectoryDotSvnInternal (FilePath path) [0x00113] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-5.5-branch/6d4c806e/source/monodevelop/main/src/addins/VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.Unix/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.Unix/SvnClient.cs:1560 
      at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.Unix.SvnClient.GetDirectoryDotSvn (FilePath path) [0x00037] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-5.5-branch/6d4c806e/source/monodevelop/main/src/addins/VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.Unix/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.Unix/SvnClient.cs:218 
      at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.SubversionVersionControl.GetRepositoryReference (FilePath path, System.String id) [0x00003] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-5.5-branch/6d4c806e/source/monodevelop/main/src/addins/VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion/SubversionVersionControl.cs:31 
      at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.VersionControlService.GetRepositoryReference (System.String path, System.String id) [0x00022] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-5.5-branch/6d4c806e/source/monodevelop/main/src/addins/VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl/VersionControlService.cs:214 
      at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.VersionControlService.GetRepository (IWorkspaceObject entry) [0x00050] in /Users    /builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-5.5-branch/6d4c806e/source/monodevelop/main/src/addins/VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl/VersionControlService.cs:197 
          at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git.GitCommandHandler.get_Repository () [0x00024] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-5.5-branch/6d4c806e/source/monodevelop/main/src/addins/VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git/Commands.cs:57 
          at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git.SwitchToBranchHandler.Update (MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CommandArrayInfo info) [0x00002] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-5.5-branch/6d4c806e/source/monodevelop/main/src/addins/VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git/Commands.cs:85 
          at MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CommandHandler.InternalUpdate (MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CommandArrayInfo info) [0x00003] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-5.5-branch/6d4c806e/source/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Ide/MonoDevelop.Components.Commands/CommandHandler.cs:52 
          at MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CommandManager.DefaultUpdateCommandInfo (MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.ActionCommand cmd, MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CommandInfo info) [0x0006d] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-5.5-branch/6d4c806e/source/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Ide/MonoDevelop.Components.Commands/CommandManager.cs:1253 
          at MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CommandManager.GetCommandInfo (System.Object commandId, MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CommandTargetRoute targetRoute) [0x001c5] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-5.5-branch/6d4c806e/source/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Ide/MonoDevelop.Components.Commands/CommandManager.cs:1221 

I will poke more and see if something is messed up at the svn level.

OK, it appears now that anything in the IDE that attempts to access svn status fails in pretty much the same way. For example, if I select any source file, pop open the contextual menu, and drag down to the "Version Control" submenu, then a very similar "An error has occurred" dialog pops up (this time while updating status of command MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Git.Commands.Push" (followed by a dozen similar ones). I think the key clues are right at the top of the details:

MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.SubversionException: Couldn't perform atomic initialization
      at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.Unix.UnixSvnBackend.GetDirectoryDotSvnInternal (FilePath path) [0x00113] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-5.5-branch/6d4c806e/source/monodevelop/main/src/addins/VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.Unix/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.Unix/SvnClient.cs:1560 
      at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.Unix.SvnClient.GetDirectoryDotSvn (FilePath path) [0x00037] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-5.5-branch/6d4c806e/source/monodevelop/main/src/addins/VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.Unix/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.Unix/SvnClient.cs:218 
      at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.SubversionVersionControl.GetRepositoryReference (FilePath path, System.String id) [0x00003] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-5.5-branch/6d4c806e/source/monodevelop/main/src/addins/VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion/SubversionVersionControl.cs:31 

It looks like it's trying to find the .svn directory... but of course there isn't one; Subversion version 1.7 and later no longer writes these out in every working directory, and my project is a couple levels deep from the root. (I'm using svn version 1.7.8.)

Of course the fact that it's using ".Git." commands suggests that svn doesn't get very much attention, so maybe y'all haven't tested it with a modern version of svn? It looks like the code is trying to access the svn metadata directly, which was a bad idea from the beginning and simply won't work at all anymore.

Still hoping to find a work-around.

I've found a work-around! Under Xamarin Studio/Add-in Manager, in the Version Control section, I disabled the "Subversion support" plug-in (as well as "Git support" for good measure). Now the IDE works again (including building).

Of course these files are under subversion control, and if the svn support actually worked, that'd be great... but I'm perfectly comfy managing svn at the command-line too, so this gets me working again.

However, now I'm going to have to explain all this to my client, a large (500+ person) company who's considering converting their entire ERP system from Real Studio to Xamarin, and it's not going to be a fun conversation. Please, Xamarin, fix this ASAP. I want to be an evangelist for you, but you need to give me a solid product to evangelize!

@JoeStrout‌ I'm forwarding this thread to the Xamarin Studio team to take a look at.

Sorry for the trouble, glad you figured it out.

• MariusUngureanuMariusUngureanu ROXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited November 2014

Heya @JoeStrout, can you please tell me your system's configuration (OS X version)? It seems that your sqlite version is mismatched (compatibility version-wise). Can you tell me what the output of:
    otool -L /usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib

I've been trying to reproduce this issue on Mavericks and Yosemite, but I'm unable to.

I'm running OS X 10.8.5, command-line svn version 1.7.8 (which works fine for me), and otool says:

/usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib:
    /usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current version 9.6.0)
    /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 169.3.0)

Thanks for looking into this!

• Joe
  • MariusUngureanuMariusUngureanu ROXamarin Team Xamurai

Thanks for the output.

It seems sqlite is mismatched between Mountain Lion and Mavericks+.

I'm going to take a look at this. No ETA on the fix.

• upswingupswing USMember, Beta

I have the same problem with OSX and subversion control

Error is: Couldn't perform atomic initialization
    SQLite compiled for 3.7.13, but running with 3.7.12

Xamarin Studio
    Version 5.5.4 (build 15)
    Xamarin.iOS
    Version: 8.4.0.43
    Build date: 2014-11-16 21:03:22-0500

Operating System
    Mac OS X 10.8.5

Is there anything i can do to fix this or do I need to wait for a fix?

• PiperMattPiperMatt USMember

Any news? Also getting this error with:

Xamarin Studio 5.7.1 (build 17)
    Mac OS X 10.7.5

Moving this to the XS forum, since at last look it appears to be version control related (and not XM).

• ChrisEickemeyerChrisEickemeyer USMember

I've experienced this issue after removing sqlite with brew on mac. After installing sqlite again (brew install sqlite) Xamarin Studio + SVN worked again as expected. I don't think that this is the main problem that's causing this issue for all of you, however, it may will help at least one of you.