New Project->MonoMac->Run->Successful with No Errors, but Does Not Run.

I have freshly installed MonoGame in Xamarin Studio. However, when I start a new project, it doesn't really run. Without changing a single thing, I hit run and a new icon pops up on the dock. It bounces for a while and then just gives up, telling me that the 'Application is not Responding.'

What am I missing here?

• jonfullerjonfuller USMember

It's hard to tell sometimes from inside of Xamarin Studio/MonoDevelop what is going on.

I've found that running the application from the terminal (so that you can see terminal output STDOUT and STERR) can be quite helpful.

• The problem is that the MonoGame references are incorrect for some reason and default point to the Windows version of the DLLs. You'll need to delete the references to MonoGame and then re-add them via Project->Edit References. Then choose the ".Net Assembly" tab ("Packages" will NOT work) and point to:

youruserfolder/Library/Application Support/XamarinStudio-4.0/LocalInstal/Addins/MonoDevelop.MonoGame.3.0.1/assemblies/MacOS/

Double click on "MonoGame.Framework.dll" or click the "Add" button.

Congrats! You are now off to the next issue with Xamarin and MonoGame : You can't load PNG files as Texture2D's! So the sample app STILL doesn't work... :(

If you comment out the texture's load and draw then you can get the familiar CornFlowerBlue window. YAY! Sorta...

• DominiqueLouisDominiqueLouis GBMember Xamurai

HI @NotVeryOriginal,
    MonoGame should be able to load png files and other native types. What is the error you are getting? Is the png sitting within your Content folder? Is the png file's Build action taggeg as Content and copy if newer?

Give us a few more details.

You may also want to consider asking your MonoGame specific questions over on the monogame.codeplex.com site, which has some very active discussion forums.

I hope this helps.

D.

• I provide details over on a thread that I created just for this, but basically the issue is that the MonoMac DLL call from inside MonoGame is using a different method signature than the MonoMac DLL that is distributed though Xamarin. I was told to recomplie MonoMac from source but I'm having difficulty since I've never done this before and never used a Mac before and well... it's just not compiling for me.

I posted about this on the monogame.codeplex.com site, but they say it is a Xamarin issue and that I should bring it up here. ;) I also post some details about my MonoMac compile failures there if you want to help me with that :) :) :)

You can repro by creating a brand new mac install of Xamarin Studio and then add in a brand new MonoGame mpack and create a brand new MonoGame Mac Application. You also need to run the fix I give above, and then you will run into the PNG load error:

System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'MonoMac.AppKit.NSImage.AsCGImage'

This is a Mac Only issue for me thus far. Under Windows my game loads just fine with PNG files.

Thanks for taking the time to help us!

• While poking around GIT I noticed this thread where Aaron Bockover says that Xamarin knows about the issue but has yet to release an updated version. That was two weeks ago. I guess I started working on my MacOS version at the exact wrong time... Maybe I'll just come back in a month...