PCL working with shared code (cross platform library)

BiancaBianca USMember
edited October 2014 in Cross Platform with Xamarin

I'm new with Xamarin and have to create a cross platform library (iOS, Android, Win Phone). i have so much difficult to create a pcl who works for those 3 platforms. For example, this pcl needs establish a socket connection with a printer. In pcl i can't use System.Net.Sockets so my idea is create a method and tried call his code with shared project . when i execute the code, is stepped over the code inside > #if ANDROID .

PCL

public class Class1
{
public void socket()
{
Conecta.Class oi = new Conecta.Class();
oi.conecta();
}
}

SHARED PROJECT

namespace Conecta
{
class Class
{
public void conecta()
{
#if ANDROID

System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient clientSocket = new System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient();
    clientSocket.Connect("192.168.210.171", 4002);
    NetworkStream serverStream = clientSocket.GetStream();
    byte[] outStream = System.Text.Encoding.ASCII.GetBytes("teste \n");
    serverStream.Write(outStream, 0, outStream.Length);
    serverStream.Flush();

#endif
}

}

}

It's just a test, the code isn't sophisticated Someone can help me? Any other idea?

• I feel your pain. PCL so limits the selection of available libraries that it seems almost impossible to get any work done.

• BiancaBianca USMember
    edited October 2014

I tried everything !! The best solution was create a pcl interface and implements his method from Shared project called by Xamarin.Android (for example). But in my case i can't show the code for everybody.. if i use him, i will have to expose my code (am i right??)and the idea is generate a single dll.

• SKallSKall USMember ✭✭✭✭

You don't want to reference the implementation class directly. Instead you want to "resolve" it through a service locator / dependency container. The quickest way would be to use the built-in DependencyService class from Xamarin.Forms.

Quick sample, from PCL first the interface + a client code using the interface:

public interface IConnection
    {
        void Connect();
    }

public class ConnectionClient
    {
        public void Connect()
        {
            var connection = Xamarin.Forms.DependencyService.Get<IConnection>();

connection.Connect();
        }
    }

Implementation either on shared project or platform specific project. The key is to tell the DependencyService that there is a class implementing interfaces, which is the first line.

[assembly: Xamarin.Forms.Dependency(typeof(DependencySample.SharedConnection))]

namespace DependencySample
    {
        public class SharedConnection : IConnection
        {
            #region IConnection implementation

public void Connect()
            {
                #if __DROID__

#else

throw new NotImplementedException();

#endif
            }