Does Android Player work with Xamarin Studio for Windows?

TomWalkerTomWalker CAInsider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭

Good evening code campers,

I'm curious does the Android Player work with Xamarin Studio Windows? I know it works with VS2013. For whatever reason I can't see the Android player under the debug emulator device dropdown list within Xamarin Studio.

Thanks

• mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

Yes the Xamarin's Android Player works with Xamarin Studio on Windows. I have Xamarin Studio 5.5 installed and I can use the Xamarin Android Player with an Android application.

Xamarin Studio should detect it is installed and read the list of installed devices.

• TomWalkerTomWalker CAInsider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭

I just installed the latest updates to Xamarin Studio and Xamarin libraries. Still not seeing Xamarin Android Player within Xamarin Studio. Not sure if I need to update a settings with Xamarin Studio or if its an issue hyperV. I do have hyperV enabled and the Xamarin Android Player does work in VS2013.

Figured out what my issue was with using new Xamarin Android Player with the latest Xamarin Studio. It does work on the Windows version of Xamarin Android Player on Android projects. It does not work for Xamarin.Forms projects. However, you can use the new Xamarin Android Player using Visual Studio 2013.

• mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

Just tried a Xamarin.Forms project and you can run it with the Xamarin Android Player if you right click the project in the Solution window and select Run With - Nexus 4 (KitKat). Or whichever device you have installed for the Xamarin Android Player.

The only problem I noticed is that the device list drop down at the top of Xamarin Studio does not allow you to choose a default device until you have made the Xamarin.Forms Android project the startup project for the solution. If you create a new Xamarin.Forms solution on Windows it makes the PCL project the startup project and that has no associated Android devices shown in the list.

If this not what you are seeing it would be good to try and work out what the problem is with Xamarin Studio on your machine.

@mattward‌ yep you are correct I had to set the Android client as the starting project within my Xamarin.Forms solution. Once I had done this Xamarin Studio immediately update the device list next to the debug button.

Thanks