Fixed: OS X Yosemite: "The PIN you entered was invalid"

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Update October 22: the hotfix build has been published

The hotfix build of Xamarin.iOS (8.4.0.15) has now been published to the stable channel. Be sure to quit and reopen the Xamarin.iOS Build Host app after upgrading.

If anyone still sees the "The PIN you entered was invalid" message after updating to OS X 10.10 Yosemite, please email [email protected] or one of the support emails listed on https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/ so we can investigate further.

Note that there are other a couple other possible causes of the "PIN you entered was invalid" message that can occur with any OS X version:

• On the first pairing attempt after connecting to a new build host
  • If Xcode is not properly installed and configured on the Mac build host

Update: candidate hotfix build

http://xvs.xamarin.com/monotouch-8.4.0.15.pkg

Here is a Xamarin.iOS installer build that includes the fix for the Mac build host. This has solved the problem in at least two independent test setups. Please keep in mind that this build has only been lightly tested, and only for this particular problem. As a result, there is at least a small chance it might break some other functionality that would normally be caught before a hotfix release. It will be published to the stable channel once it passes the normal additional tests.

Update: not yet fixed in Xamarin 3.7.230 + Xamarin.iOS 8.4.0.14

The Xamarin VS team has narrowed down the source of the problem to be the error messages emitted by the following OS X command (you can run this in Terminal.app to see the error messages):
system_profiler -xml SPHardwareDataType > /dev/null

The latest error messages about "Can't get X86PlatformPlugin" seem to be caused by a quirk in the installation of /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/X86PlatformPlugin.kext. It's unclear why some Yosemite installations produce these error messages while others do not.

In any case, a fix to work around these error messages is in progress, but is not yet included in today's iOS 8.1 compatibility releases (Xamarin 3.7.230 + Xamarin.iOS 8.4.0.14).

Error messages

The PIN you entered was invalid.
Please ensure you have entered the correct PIN.
You may have to close this dialog and retry from Visual Studio.

And

No UUID has been set

Bug report

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=21202

This bug is a highest priority bug for the Xamarin VS team.

Additional information

OS X 10.10 Yosemite has apparently changed some underlying behaviors, call paths, or error verbosity of the networking stack (at least under certain conditions).

One of the consequences of these changes is that the Mac build host now emits additional messages when Xamarin VS first connects. Xamarin VS does not expect these messages, misinterprets them as part of the normal response, and so cannot establish a connection to the build host.

Unexpected messages

1. On the current stable release of OS X Yosemite, the unexpected message seems to be:

system_profiler[1267:23473] platformPluginDictionary: Can't get X86PlatformPlugin, return value 0

2. On some of the preview releases of OS X Yosemite, the unexpected message was:

system_profiler[18700:1303078] Error loading /System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPNVMeReporter.spreporter: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4 "The bundle “SPNVMeReporter.spreporter” couldn’t be loaded because its executable couldn’t be located." UserInfo=0x7f9e01f16b60 {NSLocalizedFailureReason=The bundle’s executable couldn’t be located., NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=Try reinstalling the bundle., NSBundlePath=/System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPNVMeReporter.spreporter, NSLocalizedDescription=The bundle “SPNVMeReporter.spreporter” couldn’t be loaded because its executable couldn’t be located.}

You can see these messages by connecting to the Mac build host over telnet. For example, you can run telnet localhost 5000 in Terminal.app on the Mac build host. Xamarin VS expects that this should produce no output until it sends additional data, but on Yosemite the command produces output before receiving any additional data.

Possible workaround

I'm not quite familiar enough with networking and proxies to be certain that it will work, but if any users are interested in attempting to work around the problem, I believe it might be possible to stop the problem by proxying the connection on either the Mac build host or the Windows machine.

The idea would be to add a proxy (for at least port 5000) on either the Mac or the Windows machine, and then filter out the problematic "junk" messages emitted by the Mac build host so that the Xamarin VS plugin never sees them.

The Xamarin VS team will hopefully also have a fix for this issue quite soon, so this workaround should only be necessary for a little while.

EDIT October 20: The fix is not yet in today's iOS 8.1 compatibility releases Xamarin 3.7.230 + Xamarin.iOS 8.4.0.14
EDIT October 21: Candidate hotfix build
EDIT October 22: Hotfix build published to the stable channel

• JimBennettJimBennett GBXamarin Team, Insider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭✭

Seeing as this bug has been open for 6 weeks now with various developer previews/betas/golden masters of Yosemite, what does "quite soon" mean? Are we talking days or another 6 weeks?

• NairNair USMember ✭✭

Since my primary target is iOS, I am kind of stuck without any workaround. Hopefully 'quite soon' is in couple of days.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Yes, days (barring unforeseen complications of course).

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭

I also have this problem. Strange problem

• BoKingoDamgaardBoKingoDamgaard DKMember ✭✭

Following....

• ChrisPontChrisPont GBMember

I'm running the latest version of mavericks. Same problem. Thought I was going mad!

• ChristianDanielChristianDaniel DEMember
    edited October 2014

I am going mad with this problem, since i am not able to build my projects in Xamarin Studio too. (PCL projects won't compile: "Unknown MSBuild failure. Please try building the project again", even in clean solutions with an empty PCL project). With Visual Studio the projects compiled very well. What the hell is going on there? Now i am not able to work and i have a deadline in 2 weeks. :(

Update: not yet fixed in Xamarin 3.7.230 + Xamarin.iOS 8.4.0.14

The Xamarin VS team has narrowed down the source of the problem to be the error messages emitted by the following command (you can run this in Terminal.app to see the error messages):
    system_profiler -xml SPHardwareDataType > /dev/null

The fix is in progress, but is not yet included in today's iOS 8.1 compatibility releases (Xamarin 3.7.230 + Xamarin.iOS 8.4.0.14).

• h8tow8h8tow8 USMember

as of this morning still a problem....

last night i updated mac to OS X Yosemite 10.10 official version, xamarin to
    8.4.0.14 | 3.7.0.230, xcode 6.1 and cannot connect/pair from vs.net 2013

platformPluginDictionary: Can't get X86PlatformPlugin, return value 0
    platformPluginDictionary: Can't get X86PlatformPlugin, return value 0

• AllisterAllister USMember ✭✭
    edited October 2014

yeah same here, our office updated to 10.10 yesterday, and xamarin to 8.4.0.14 | 3.7.0.230.

pin invalid :-(

I've ended up copying the project from visual studio across to the mac just to build it in xamarin there.

Needless to say we are also hanging out for a fix for this.

edited October 2014

Update: here is a Xamarin.iOS installer build that includes the fix for the Mac build host. This has solved the problem in at least two independent test setups. Please keep in mind that this build has only been lightly tested, and only for this particular problem. As a result, there is at least a small chance it might break some other functionality that would normally be caught before a hotfix release. It will be published to the stable channel once it passes the normal additional tests.

• Test package seems to work on my system. Nice Work!

• I can confirm success here. Thanks for the effort on getting this to us. Much appreciated!

• BrettMorrisonBrettMorrison USMember, University

Confirmed working for me too now.

• IshaiHachliliIshaiHachlili USInsider

Works for me too, I did have to switch back to the stable build on my windows machine because of a build mismatch

• CesarFongCesarFong PEUniversity

works for me too!

• BobTrabuccoBobTrabucco USMember ✭✭

I wish I could report similar success. Sadly I can't. The problem persists on my setup. All latest stable updates performed then installed the pkg file on the Mac...

Build server reports version: Xamarin.ios 8.4.0.15 | Build Host 3.7.0.234

Visual studio reports:
    Xamarin 3.7.230.0
    Xamarin.iOS 8.4.0.0

The hotfix build of Xamarin.iOS (8.4.0.15) has now been published to the stable channel. Be sure to quit and reopen the Xamarin.iOS Build Host app after upgrading.

If anyone still sees the "The PIN you entered was invalid" message after updating to OS X 10.10 Yosemite, please email [email protected] or one of the support emails listed on https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/ so we can investigate further.

Note that there are other a couple other possible causes of the "PIN you entered was invalid" message that can occur with any OS X version:

• BobTrabuccoBobTrabucco USMember ✭✭

After a few pairing tries it finally worked!

• RubenKortRubenKort SRMember

Thanks for the package. Paired without problems after the update!

• AnthonyBoudouvasAnthonyBoudouvas GRMember ✭✭

Me too. Just paired it succesfully.

• GadiPazGadiPaz ILUniversity

I Still get this message, anybody knows why?

Build server reports version: Xamarin.ios 8.4.0.15 | Build Host 3.7.0.234

Thanks

• GadiPazGadiPaz ILUniversity

Issue solved,
    I have a backup program (installed on the Mac) which using port 5000 to backup.
    guess what? Xamarin.iOS Build Host also using port 5000.

I changed the port on the backup program and now it works perfectly.

• NadimNadim USMember

I'm using xamarin.ios 8.6.0.51, Buil Host 3.9.0.234 on Yosemite. I can't pair VS2013.

http://xvs.xamarin.com/monotouch-8.4.0.15.pkg this liks does not working too.
    Having same problem as mentioned in the this thread.
    Is there any solution for this issue!!!

Thank you

• musa.yilmazmusa.yilmaz USMember

is missing, can't download it.

edited January 2015

The preview download link for 8.4.0.15 on xvs.xamarin.com is expired. The fix was published to the stable updater channel on October 22, and all versions of Xamarin.iOS after 8.4.0.15 that are available on the updater channel or on https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads include the fix (for example the current stable version 8.6.0.51 includes the fix). If you are still seeing the issue on the current versions, it's most likely a different problem.

Two first things to check are mentioned in my last updates on this thread:

If neither of those issues accounts for the problem you're seeing, feel free to get in touch with Xamarin support via email. If you have a business license or higher, you can use one of the email addresses listed on https://store.xamarin.com/account. Otherwise you can use [email protected] Be sure to include as many relevant log files and version information as possible. See http://kb.xamarin.com/customer/portal/articles/1675684-how-to-collect-version-information-and-logs. (This should open a page titled "How to collect version information and logs." If it redirects you to http://kb.xamarin.com at first, try entering the URL into the browser URL bar once more.)

I will close this thread for now to make sure this last up-to-date post stays easily visible to any other users who come across this thread.

This discussion has been closed.