Unable to view the info.plist after updating the visual studio for xamarin

Hi i recently updated my Xamarin with 3.7.203 and i am having problem viewing the iOS Application in the Properties..

It says..

An error occurred trying to load the page. Unable to create the designer. File is already opened in an incompatible editor.

• KarthikMRaoKarthikMRao USMember

Guys Please Reply...

• GuidoKerstenGuidoKersten NLUniversity ✭✭

I am facing the same problem.. Any help will be appreciated..

@KarthikMRao‌ As a work-around for now, I just opened the solution in Xamarin Studio on my Mac to edit some properties. I still can't open it in Visual Studio, but at least I continue my work.

• CasperRasmussenCasperRasmussen DKMember
    edited October 2014

@GuidoKersten.5816‌ thanks for the suggestion. I would still like to be able to edit things in Visual Studio tho. As an added piece of info, when trying to open the Info.plist i get the error:

The operation could not be completed. The parameter is incorrect.

• KarthikMRaoKarthikMRao USMember

@GuidoKersten Thanks for replying.. I am currently doing the same.. (working in mac) I would also want this bug to be fixed soon..

edited October 2014

@CasperRasmussen‌ an other way is to just right click on the plist file in your project and select an other editor, this way you can manually edit the file in Visual Studio. Not perfect, but for now it may help you to just get the work done.

I just discoverd that this only occurs in my current project, when I create a new project it is not showing this error.. I tried to find out any difference in the plists but I didn't find anything there..

• GregStevensonGregStevenson GBMember ✭✭

I'm getting this, too. I've copied it over to my Mac and can use XS to edit, but my code is under TFS source control so copying it back to Visual Studio isn't quite so simple because without checking out all of the files, they'll be set to read only (I want to introduce asset catalogs to add 6/6+ support which appears to change quite a few things, not just the Info.plist).

Anyone from Xamarin have any ideas/workarounds for this?

• GregStevensonGregStevenson GBMember ✭✭

I've logged Bug 23697. If anyone else has any information they can add it'd be appreciated.

• MoBileMoBile USMember, University
    edited October 2014

I am having the same problem. Running Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate.

Xamarin's responder is NOT reading this. We can all build fine, but the iOS info.plist is not being displayed! The corresponding section ( iOS Application tab ) in project properties also shows errors.

Please read these comments and fix!

• MoBileMoBile USMember, University

I have attached a snapshot...

• I'm having same issue. Just on side note - this is happening in this project - https://github.com/Clancey/FlappyMonkey which is Xamarin's example with monogame. And even when I overwrite completely info.plist from other project which works fine its not fixing the issue.

• JanDrykJanDryk USMember

Yup, same issue here.

I am happy to say, that after the last update I am able to open the info.plist again!

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014

Same issue - unbelievable - I though I have a problem with my project and have wasted (another) hour from my time:-(

Then I have downloaded the last update (3.7.230) to Xamarin for Visual Studio and in the relase-notes to 3.7.26 (see below):

Adds compatibility with Xamarin.iOS 8.4.0.

Notes from previous releases:

Adds support for Android SDK Tools 23.0.4 and 23.0.5 in the Android designer.
    Fixes an 'Illegal characters in path' error when editing Info.plist.

After the update, I am able to edit project setting and open info.list again.
    But I'm not happy to have lost a full hour and now (once again after update) can resolve now the problem:

The installed Xamarin.iOS (version 8.2) on the Mac Build Host 172.16.1.3 is not compatible with the local Xamarin.iOS 8.4. Double click here to select a new server. Xamarin.iOS Extension

Update:
    After update (XS -> BH) and reboot the MAC I also had to sync the sdk's from VS.
    Now, I have the error-message "Could not parse MinimumOSVversion 'Xamarin.MacDev.PString'.
    Wow.. never see this error-message before...
    And ...it also seems as my iPad (connected to the MAC) is not found anymore...

I am happy to say, that I now have meaningful work to do (to try solve this new error-message)...

Update #2:
    It seems as - for whatever reason - the "Deployment Target" was cleaned out by the update.
    After new setting in the iOS-project-settings (iOS-Application) , I now was able to debug to my iPhone....
    But the debugging still don't works...
    "Failed to deploy application on the target device. Please try to rebuild the solution and try again."
    And I still can't see my iPad in the device-list..
    Simply annoying..!

Update #3:
    "Rebuild an try again" don't work...

• rogiheerogihee NLMember ✭✭✭

@FredyWenger‌ : I know what you mean, I lost almost a full day again to weird intellisense issues, Nuget Hell, debuggers that break, devices that are lost in the debugger and require a full VS restart (or full reboot if for for Mac, because the build server connnection hangs). The list goes on and on.

Every weekly "stable" update now seem to fix things but also severely break other things. Not always their fault (with Android 5.0 and iOS 8.0/8.1, major platform updates), but still..

I'd rather have Xamarin invest more time into stabilizing the platform rather than launching new initiatives (insights for example).

Update #4
    After restart my developer-machine, I now was able one-time to debug to my iPhone.
    After un- and reconnect iPad (USB), I now can see the iPad under “devices” again (it seems, as that was a MAC-problem).
    But.. as I wrote: one-time!

After that:
    There was an unhandled exception trying to deploy and run your application.
    System.InvalidOperationException: Fail to start the debug proxy on server
    bei Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.GetDebugSession(VSBuildServerClient server, MonoTouchFlavoredProject project, MonoTouchDevice device, IVsDebugger2 debugger, IVsOutputWindowPane output, Int32& appConsolePort)
    bei Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.DebugApplication(VSBuildServerClient server, MonoTouchDevice device, IVsOutputWindowPane output, MonoTouchProgressNotifier notifier, LogReader consoleLogReader)
    bei Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.DoDebugLaunch(VSBuildServerClient server, __VSDBGLAUNCHFLAGS grfLaunch) 0 0

and

There was an unhandled exception trying to deploy and run your application.
    System.ArgumentException: Debug port cannot be zero when connecting
    Parametername: debugPort
    bei Mono.Debugging.Soft.SoftDebuggerConnectArgs..ctor(String appName, IPAddress address, Int32 debugPort, Int32 outputPort)
    bei Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.CreateDebuggerStartInfo(VSBuildServerClient server, MonoTouchDevice device, MonoTouchFlavoredProject project, IVsDebugger2 debugger, Int32 debugPort, Int32 consolePort)
    bei Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.GetDebugSession(VSBuildServerClient server, MonoTouchFlavoredProject project, MonoTouchDevice device, IVsDebugger2 debugger, IVsOutputWindowPane output, Int32& appConsolePort)
    bei Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.DebugApplication(VSBuildServerClient server, MonoTouchDevice device, IVsOutputWindowPane output, MonoTouchProgressNotifier notifier, LogReader consoleLogReader)
    bei Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.DoDebugLaunch(VSBuildServerClient server, __VSDBGLAUNCHFLAGS grfLaunch) 0 0

and also

Failed to deploy application on the target device. Please try to rebuild the solution and try again (note: rebuild the solution and try again don’t solve the problem).

In Fiddler I still have every 2 Seconds the error-message: “Protocol Violation report”
    URL Host: 172.16.1.3:49946 (IP of my MAC)
    HTTP error 400 The Request’s Header did not match the URL’s host component”

I have posted this information a few weeks ago in forum - nothing happens from Xamarin-side (no feedback, no solving of any problems…
    So.. I ask me, why waste my time to post anything here in the forum to this problems…?
    I don’t think, I make this in the future.

@rogihee‌:
    This is exactly what I mean… I basically like XF… but I (really!) spend more time to document and post bugs in bugzilla and implement workarounds to (mostly known) bugs in XF.
    I really don’t need additional “Xamarin-made” problems by every update (without any progress in the communication).

• rogiheerogihee NLMember ✭✭✭

@FredyWenger‌ : I really like Forms, once it is working it is fantastically productive, I can almost make a GUI as fast as I can think / type (after a small leaning curve)

BUT - I'm doing 2-3 days app development each week at the moment, of which the last 2 months or so I have lost around 3-4 hours per week (!!!!!) due to platform issues. Needless to say, this is not good, and needs to be repaired soon or else I can't take it anymore.

With bugs I tend to contact [email protected] directly, and usually I get very good replies. I have a business license if it matters.

@rogihee‌:
    Unfortunately I have very bad experience with [email protected] :-(
    Tried about 3 times - never received any useful help...
    But I think, this depends huge on the person that take the mail...
    And.. I also have a business-license (you see, unfortunately this doesn't matters)...
    Best support for me is the community...

• TedEilesTedEiles USMember ✭✭

We are now getting this same error, and we also spend a good deal of time with platform issues between 'Studio, XCode, VS, and iOS build server.

Error 4 There was an unhandled exception trying to deploy and run your application.
    System.InvalidOperationException: Fail to start the debug proxy on server
    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.GetDebugSession(VSBuildServerClient server, MonoTouchFlavoredProject project, MonoTouchDevice device, IVsDebugger2 debugger, IVsOutputWindowPane output, Int32& appConsolePort)
    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.DebugApplication(VSBuildServerClient server, MonoTouchDevice device, IVsOutputWindowPane output, MonoTouchProgressNotifier notifier, LogReader consoleLogReader)
    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.DoDebugLaunch(VSBuildServerClient server, __VSDBGLAUNCHFLAGS grfLaunch) 0 0

• after update today 07 September 2015 of xamarin 5.1.5 and xamarin studio my problem of debugging solved.