Fixed: Intermittent iOS Designer "(500) Internal Server Error" caused by Xcode 6

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited March 2015 in Visual Studio

Update March 26: new fixes promoted to stable, appears to be completely fixed

Two additional fixes for this problem have been added in:

• Windows: Xamarin 3.9.525
  • Mac: Xamarin.iOS 8.8.1.9

The new fixes have completely eliminated the problem in my local testing (I got "good" connections on 10 of 10 attempts).

Corresponding error message from ~/Library/Logs/Xamarin/MonoTouchVS/mtbserver.log

// A full storyboard reload is required before doing an optimised reload. Maybe the renderer was restarted
//   at MonoTouch.Design.Client.ServerProcessConnection.SendRequest (MonoTouch.Design.CommandRequest req, Boolean throwIfNotRunning) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
//   at Mtb.Server.Commands.DesignerSendPayload.HandleRequest (ILoggingHelper logger, System.Object commandRequestState) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

There are other possible causes of the "(500) Internal Server Error", but the particular cause for this forum thread has 2 characteristic symptoms:

1. The SpringBoard process restarts repeatedly on the Mac build host.
  2. The mtbserver.log contains this "Maybe the renderer was restarted" message.

Update March 22: new candidate fixes in Beta, appears to be completely fixed

Two additional fixes for this problem have been added in:

• Windows: Xamarin 3.9.523
  • Mac: Xamarin.iOS 8.8.1.9

(These versions are currently available on the beta channel and will soon be promoted to stable. The current alpha versions also contain these fixes.)

Update December 16: not fully fixed

This issue remains in the latest version, at least to some degree. Informal testing suggests that it only happens when running Windows in a VMWare Fusion VM on a Macbook Air (other Macbooks seem to work OK, as do physical Windows machines).

It is possible to "work around" the issue by repeating the following steps until you get a "good" connection:

1. Close the storyboard.
  2. Disconnect from the build host using the disconnect button in the VS toolbar.
  3. Reconnect to the build host using the refresh button in the VS toolbar.
  4. Open the storyboard.

You can check if you have a "good" connection by watching the output of the following command in a Terminal window on the Mac build host:

sudo newproc.d 2> /dev/null | grep SpringBoard

A good connection will start exactly 1 instance of SpringBoard, and that one process will never exit. A "bad" connection will have an initial SpringBoard process that lasts for no more than 1.5 minutes (according to preliminary testing). Once that first process exits, new SpringBoard processes will appear repeatedly until the build host is disconnected.

Update November 20: candidate fixes promoted to the stable channel

New versions that include the candidate fixes for this issue have just been promoted to the stable channel:

• Windows: Xamarin 3.8.150
  • Mac: Xamarin.iOS 8.4.0.43

Important additional note for the stable versions: do not quit the build host while Visual Studio is running

See the corresponding comment later in the thread for more information.

Update November 11: candidate fixes on the beta channel

New versions with candidate fixes for this issue have just been published to the beta channel:

• Windows: Xamarin 3.8.134
  • Mac: Xamarin.iOS 8.4.0.38

Note that as with other builds on the beta channel, these builds have not yet completed the full suite of QA testing. These new versions will be promoted to the stable channel pending further QA testing and barring reports of any new problems from beta users.

For any users who are hitting this problem and are able to test the beta builds, the iOS Designer team would be interested to know if these new versions help with the problem. Thanks in advance!

For users who have just recently found this forum thread, note that these updated builds will not solve all possible causes of the "(500) Internal Server Error". This particular thread (and the corresponding fixes) are related to a problem caused by Xcode 6. This specific problem appears intermittently in the middle of editing a storyboard and does not depend on the type of control being edited.

Important additional note for the beta versions: do not quit the build host while Visual Studio is running

See the corresponding comment later in the thread for more information.

Original post, October 6

There was a problem rendering this document, The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error, ServerIO.Server_Post()

Xcode 6 introduced several changes in how the iOS simulators work. Unfortunately the repercussions for Xamarin have taken some time to sort out. The Xcode 6 changes are still causing issues in the latest stable version of Xamarin (Xamarin 3.7.201, published October 3, 2014). The developers have some candidate fixes, but testing is not yet completed. For now the only known way to stop the bugs completely is to use Xcode 5. If you need iOS 8 support, the workaround can still be used just for the iOS Designer, but it requires lots of switching back and forth between Xcode versions.

Workaround by switching back to Xcode 5

1. Quit Visual Studio on Windows and the Xamarin.iOS Build Host app on the Mac.

2. Move Xcode 6 from /Applications/Xcode.app to a backup location. For example, you can move it to your user directory. This will require administrator privileges.

3. Reinstall Xcode 5 or move it back to /Applications/Xcode.app from a backup location.

Workaround if you need iOS 8 support

The first three steps are the same.

1. Quit Visual Studio on Windows and the Xamarin.iOS Build Host app on the Mac.

2. Move Xcode 6 from /Applications/Xcode.app to a backup location. For example, you can move it to your user directory. This will require administrator privileges.

3. Reinstall Xcode 5 or move it back to /Applications/Xcode.app from a backup location.

4. Reopen the Xamarin.iOS Build Host app.

5. Open the storyboard in the iOS Designer in Visual Studio and make any desired changes.

6. Continue to develop, build, deploy, and debug the app using iOS 7 devices or simulators (without the iOS 8 APIs).

7. When you need to test again on iOS 8, start over at step 1, but this time move Xcode 5 to a backup location and move Xcode 6 back to /Applications/Xcode.app.

8. Rebuild the app, deploy, and debug it using Xcode 6.

Error message

// System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.
//    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
//    at MonoTouch.Tools.Utilities.BuildServerClient.ServerIO.Server_Post(String command, MemoryStream ms, IDictionary`2 queryVariables)
//    at MonoTouch.Tools.Utilities.BuildServerClient.<>c__DisplayClasse.<ExecuteRawPostCommand>b__d()
//    at MonoTouch.Tools.Utilities.BuildServerClient.ExecuteCommandTask[TResult](BuildServerCommand command, Func`1 code, Boolean propagateExceptions)
//    at MonoTouch.Tools.Utilities.BuildServerClient.ExecuteRawPostCommand(String commandName, MemoryStream stream, IDictionary`2 queryVariables, Boolean propagateExceptions)
//    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Utilities.VSBuildServerClient.DesignerSendPayload(MemoryStream payload, IDictionary`2 queryVariables, Boolean propagateExceptions)
//    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Designer.DesignerRemoteRequests.<>c__DisplayClass3.<SendPayload>b__0(VSBuildServerClient client)
//    at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Utilities.Helpers.<>c__DisplayClass9e`1.<RunOnlyIfConnected>b__9c()
//    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
//    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

Caution: the "Tools -> Options -> Xamarin -> iOS Settings -> Apple SDK -> Xcode" setting is tricky to use

In theory you don't need to move the Xcode.app bundle at all if you already have both versions on disk. In that case you could change the selected Xcode version via "Tools -> Options -> Xamarin -> iOS Settings -> Apple SDK -> Xcode" to point to the backup copy of Xcode 6. But that can cause several complications compared to the technique suggested above (replacing the app in /Applications/):

• In order for the setting to take effect, you need to disconnect and reconnect to the build host.

• If you start Xcode 6 from one location like /Applications/Xcode.app, and then move it and start it from another location like /Applications/Xcode6/Xcode.app, you will hit an error that looks like:

The iOS 7.1 simulator runtime is not available. Download the iOS 7.1 simulator runtime from the Downloads section in Xcode's Preferences.

or:

The iOS 8.0 simulator runtime is not available. Download the iOS 8.0 simulator runtime from the Downloads section in Xcode's Preferences.

You'll need to reboot the Mac to correct this error.

• It's important not to rename the Xcode 6 or Xcode 5 app bundle. Both should be named Xcode.app.

• GiggioGiggio BRMember

Just commenting so I get to know when this is fixed. Please let us know when it is working so I can go back to use Xcode6.
    Tks!

• AnthonyBoudouvasAnthonyBoudouvas GRMember ✭✭

Any news for the fix ? It is about a month now already... :(

• Obiwan007Obiwan007 USMember

Really an annoying bug. Happening every few minutes...

• YuriShteinmanYuriShteinman CAUniversity ✭✭

Exactly happened when I tried to use the designer. I gave up and went back to XCode xib files. The designer is useless now.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

A small update on this issue: the iOS Designer team has submitted some changes for the development builds that are targeted at fixing this issue. Those fixes will hopefully be ready for beta release soon. I'll post another update once the beta version is available to request additional feedback from everyone about whether the new version helps with the problem.

• Having the same problem, and emptying the log folder doesn't solve anything for me.
    Commenting to get updates when a fix has been found.

edited November 2014

New versions with the candidate fixes for this issue have just been published to the beta channel:

• Windows: Xamarin 3.8.134
    • Mac: Xamarin.iOS 8.4.0.38

Note that as with other builds on the beta channel, these builds have not yet completed the full suite of QA testing. These new versions will be promoted to the stable channel pending further QA testing and barring reports of any new problems from beta users.

For any users who are hitting this problem and are able to test the beta builds, the iOS Designer team would be interested to know if these new versions help with the problem. Thanks in advance!

For users who have just recently found this forum thread, note that these updated builds will not solve all possible causes of the "(500) Internal Server Error". This particular thread (and the corresponding fixes) are related to a problem caused by Xcode 6. This specific problem appears intermittently in the middle of editing a storyboard and does not depend on the type of control being edited.

Important additional note for the beta versions: do not quit the build host while Visual Studio is running

I've had a chance to do some initial testing with the new beta versions myself, and so far they have been behaving well.

But I observed that if I opened a storyboard in Visual Studio and then quit the Xamarin.iOS Build Host app while Visual Studio was still connected, the Mac build host would start restarting the SpringBoard process repeatedly, also causing errors in Visual Studio.

You can see if your build host is in this "bad" state by running the following command in Terminal.app:

sudo newproc.d

Check if "SpringBoard" keeps appearing over and over again:

// 2014 Nov 11 20:20:39 1150 <1013> 32b  xpcproxy_sim com.apple.SpringBoard
    // 2014 Nov 11 20:20:39 1150 <1013> 32b  /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator.sdk/System/Library/ (...)
    // 2014 Nov 11 20:20:45 1152 <1013> 32b  xpcproxy_sim com.apple.SpringBoard
    // 2014 Nov 11 20:20:45 1152 <1013> 32b  /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator.sdk/System/Library/ (...)

If you see this symptom, you will need to quit the Xamarin.iOS Build Host and Visual Studio and kill any running launchd_sim processes (for example via Activity Monitor).

New versions that include the candidate fixes for this issue have just been promoted to the stable channel:

• Windows: Xamarin 3.8.150
    • Mac: Xamarin.iOS 8.4.0.43

Important additional note for these stable versions: do not quit the build host while Visual Studio is running

This caution from the beta versions still applies to the stable versions. See the comment directly before this one for more information.

• Hi Brendan.

What if, while VS is running, we just close the lid of the mac and tghus, it goes to sleep ? I mean, it can be very easily happen, would it still cause problems ?

• I test this for 3+ days now and it is indeed solid. Not one error from the designer! Good work!! I am still worried for the case that we accidentally close the Build host (or closing the mac that is running on) and VS is still running...If that happens, do we have to take some action (delete log files from the Mac or something else) ?

• ShawnRoserShawnRoser USMember

Hi Brendan,

I updated both my Mac (also running XCode 6.1) and PC to the latest stable build and still received the error. I also deleted the log files which did not make a difference.

Have there been any other reports of this error occurring after the stable build update?

• Thomas.4828Thomas.4828 USMember

Same as Shawn, I'm still getting the same error.

• BenLevy.4265BenLevy.4265 USMember ✭✭

Still having all sorts of issues. Now VS crashes every few minutes when using the Storyboard designer

edited December 2014

This issue remains in the latest version, at least to some degree. Informal testing suggests that it only happens when running Windows in a VMWare Fusion VM on a Macbook Air (other Macbooks seem to work OK, as do physical Windows machines).

It is possible to "work around" the issue by repeating the following steps until you get a "good" connection:

1. Close the storyboard.
    2. Disconnect from the build host using the disconnect button in the VS toolbar.
    3. Reconnect to the build host using the refresh button in the VS toolbar.
    4. Open the storyboard.

You can check if you have a "good" connection by watching the output of the following command in a Terminal window on the Mac build host:

sudo newproc.d 2> /dev/null | grep SpringBoard

A good connection will start exactly 1 instance of SpringBoard, and that one process will never exit. A "bad" connection will have an initial SpringBoard process that lasts for no more than 1.5 minutes (according to preliminary testing). Once that first process exits, new SpringBoard processes will appear repeatedly until the build host is disconnected.

Corresponding error message from ~/Library/Logs/Xamarin/MonoTouchVS/mtbserver.log

// A full storyboard reload is required before doing an optimised reload. Maybe the renderer was restarted
    //   at MonoTouch.Design.Client.ServerProcessConnection.SendRequest (MonoTouch.Design.CommandRequest req, Boolean throwIfNotRunning) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
    //   at Mtb.Server.Commands.DesignerSendPayload.HandleRequest (ILoggingHelper logger, System.Object commandRequestState) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

There are other possible causes of the "(500) Internal Server Error", but the particular cause for this forum thread has 2 characteristic symptoms:

1. The SpringBoard process restarts repeatedly on the Mac build host.
    2. The mtbserver.log contains this "Maybe the renderer was restarted" message.

I am using a Windows PC (Windows 7 Pro) with Visual Studio 2013 (Update 3). All Xamarin and XCode is up to date (Stable) on the PC and on the Mac.

Here are some videos of my Phoneword walk though (with 2 crashes). You can see how long it takes to just open the StoryBoard.

I did disconnect and reconnect the Build Host as suggested.

when watching the output on the Mac, all I get (over and over) is: dtrace: error on enabled probe ID 6 (ID 536: syscall::mmap:return): invalid address (0x7fffbffab1b4) in action #3 at DIF offset 32

Unfortunately disconnecting and reconnecting just once is not always sufficient to get a good connection. Preliminary tests indicated that the success rate was about 50%, and there was no discernible pattern to when the connections succeeded.

At the moment, the one known reliable way to ensure a good connection is to run the sudo newproc.d | grep SpringBoard command on the build host to monitor the connection and watch for restarts. If the SpringBoard restarts at all, the connection has turned bad and will cause problems.

Brandan,

Thanks. So pretend I know nothing about the Mac (pretty close to true). What exactly should I see in the output from the Terminal. Is it supposed to ask me for my password?

Ah, yes indeed the sudo command will require a password (and must be run by a user with administrative privileges). The sudo command elevates newproc.d the use administrative privileges. newproc.d is a dtrace script that needs elevated privileges to read the system process information.

After you enter the password and hit return the terminal will stay busy. A new line will appear in the terminal window each time a new SpringBoard process starts.

• RBrianLindahlRBrianLindahl USMember ✭✭
    edited December 2014

I'm getting the same results as Ben. Windows 8.1 PC, VS 2013, over wifi to a macbook pro. I get a similar dtrace line showing in the terminal repeatedly (every few seconds) after putting in the sudo command.

My designer symptoms:

• Very slow load & editing times. 30-60 seconds of busy every time I do anything in the designer.
    • Occasional "There was a problem rendering this document" windows (details in attached file)
    • Frequent "Custom controls could not be rendered because a problem was detected".

I have noticed springboard restarting while watching Activity Monitor, but the sudo script output isn't very helpful so far.

terminal output: screencast.com/t/YGB1yTCF

edit: on further watching, yes, springboard is restarting constantly, as seen in Activity Monitor. So far, I've been unable to get a reliable connection.

brian

In case it matters, I see the following in console on every springboard restart:

12/18/14 4:54:28.162 PM launchd_sim[67662]: assertion failed: 13F34: libxpc.dylib + 29453 [464E62EA-4CF2-3FEF-9C17-692AD8D66AA8]: 0x8d
    12/18/14 4:54:28.182 PM csproxy[67661]: Could not register service com.apple.coreservices.lsuseractivity.simulatorsupport: Failed to lookup com.apple.coreservices.lsuseractivity.simulatorsupport: 0x44e

I am seeing exactly what RBrianLindahl is seeing. It is somewhat comforting to know that I am not the only one. Techsupport has been communicating with me, but they seem to think there is something wrong with my Mac.

For any Mac users out there willing to help. I would like to flat out uninstall everything on the Mac and start over. This is a older iMac (about 3 years old). The only thing I use it for now is as a Build Host and to run the simulator. All the other software on it can be removed. The OS has been updated though the Apple App Store, so I don't have CD's to re-build it.

Any help with how to go about this would be great. Any suggestions for software to help figure out the issue would be great.

• HarshaNoriHarshaNori USMember
    edited December 2014

I am having the exact same issue as R. Brian Lindahl as well. Windows 8.1 PC (Surface Pro 3) connected to a MacBook Pro over the Wifi. After running the SpringBoard script, I see similar invalid address errors. I can't seem to get them to go away, no matter how many times I keep disconnecting/reconnecting the build host :.

I am currently using a Trial Version of Xamarin.ios while I wait to hear back about the academic license, if that helps.

• @HarshaNori: Strange. I have exactly the same h/w configuration as you do (Surface Pro 3 + MacBook Pro). Only difference i have a valid Business License of Xamarin (iOS). From the November 12 Xamarin updates, i I have no problem at all with the Designer. It is as stable as it was before iOS 8 Apple updates. I believe there is something wrong with your installation.

• AmroOsamaAmroOsama SAMember

I also have the same problem, changing two or three things maximum in the storyboard editor through visual studio causes the waiting circle to cycle for around 20 seconds, then I get the error.
    if I press reload story board it gets reloaded.

• I also have same issues being described...very slow to unusable response times within the iOS designer. My setup is slightly different - I am running physical Windows PC 8.1 / VS2013 connected to virtual Mac (running in VM Player). I see the same symptoms where springboard is recycling constantly. I was considering moving to a physical Mac, however, based on these other users - it does not appear that this would help.

edited January 2015

Okay, I've downgraded to Xcode 5.1.1 on the host mac and I'm starting to run into this issue again! I recently switched the mac I was building on and downloaded a fresh install of Xamarin. I made sure to download Xcode 5 (and not 6), but I still get this error when I try to load the storyboard! Anyone have any ideas about what to do if I'm already on Xcode 5?

To clarify, it doesn't let me load the storyboard at all, and nothing shows up on the script (which is markedly different from the error I was having last time). I've made sure to accept the xcode licenses, unpair and repair multiple times, etc.

Still having this issue. When I run the sudo newproc.d script, here is the output I get after freshly trying to connect to my Mac.

-----------------------------Starting connection from Visual Studio ------------------------------------------------

2015 Jan 6 13:53:19 531 <1> 64b xpcproxy com.xamarin.mtvs.buildserver.8D7286E5-594C-4A8D-B9B8-B56F437B2D7E
    2015 Jan 6 13:53:19 531 <1> 32b /Developer/MonoTouch/usr/lib/mtbserver/mtbserver -l file
    2015 Jan 6 13:53:20 532 <531> 64b /usr/sbin/system_profiler -xml SPHardwareDataType
    2015 Jan 6 13:53:20 533 <532> 64b /usr/sbin/system_profiler -nospawn -xml SPHardwareDataType -detailLevel full
    2015 Jan 6 13:53:21 534 <531> 64b /usr/bin/xcode-select --print-path
    dtrace: error on enabled probe ID 6 (ID 874: syscall::bsdthread_register:return): invalid address (0x7fffbffffddc) in action #3 at DIF offset 32
    2015 Jan 6 13:53:22 535 <531> 32b /Developer/MonoTouch/usr/bin/mtouch --version

-----------------------------Visual studio done connecting. Now I try to open my storyboard ------------------------------

2015 Jan 6 13:53:36 536 <1> 64b xpcproxy com.xamarin.MTHosting.41d0171
    dtrace: error on enabled probe ID 6 (ID 874: syscall::bsdthread_register:return): invalid address (0x7fffbff1d724) in action #3 at DIF offset 32
    dtrace: error on enabled probe ID 8 (ID 874: syscall::bsdthread_register:return): invalid address (0x65762d2dbff1d7b4) in action #3 at DIF offset 32
    2015 Jan 6 13:53:36 536 <1> 32b /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator7.1.sdk/sbin/launchd (...) /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator7.1.sdk/usr/libexec/ (...) /tmp/com.xamarin.MTHosting.41d0171/var/run/launchd_bootstrap.plist
    2015 Jan 6 13:53:36 537 <1> 64b xpcproxy com.apple.ReportCrash
    2015 Jan 6 13:53:37 537 <1> 64b /System/Library/CoreServices/ReportCrash

-----------------------------------------------------------Error received by visual studio--------------------------------------------

This happens on a Macbook Pro running Yosemite. I only have Xcode 5.1.1 on there, NOT 6.

The xamarin installer gave me Xamarin.IOS 8.4, and I can connect to my computer but I cannot open the iphone simulator/compile remotely/open the storyboard AT ALL. It's not just slow, it never loads :\

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

@HarshaNori, since you're seeing a problem with Xcode 5.1.1, it is very likely a different problem. It would be best to continue discussion of that problem in a separate forum thread or over email with the Xamarin support team.

The steps with newproc.d are really only intended to diagnose the problem where SpringBoard restarts, and I believe that problem is exclusive to Xcode 6 and higher. That said, by luck your newproc.d output does contain a possible clue for the problem on your machine. In particular it shows that /System/Library/CoreServices/ReportCrash is being run at the end. This means that something is crashing, so there should be new crash logs created that you can view in the Console.app application. These logs will likely appear under the "User Diagnostic Reports" section. You can control-click that section and select "Move to Trash" to clear it before the test. That should make it easier to identify the appearance of new reports.

Since the problem with Xcode 5 is different from the problem with Xcode 6, I'd recommend either: (a) you can start a new forum thread with the results from you see from the "User Diagnostic Reports", or (b) if you have Business licenses or higher, you can email the results to the Xamarin support team using one of the support email addresses listed on https://store.xamarin.com/account/. If you start a new forum thread, feel free to post a link to it in this thread. Thanks!

• Folks - I posted back on Jan 2 that I was having similar issues with performance of iOS designer...my config was a Physical Windows PC and a Mac instance running under VM Player. Well I thought, what the heck, I need a Mac around for testing etc anyway so I purchased a Mac mini and changed my PC to point to the Physical Mac instance and all I can say is WOW! Performance of the iOS designer is wonderful and the debugging of the app under the iOS simulator is at least 2x faster. Worth every penny to be able to move at this pace! Hope this helps someone!

Bit the bullet and scrubbed & reinstalled OS X - works a lot better so far. @BenLevy3‌ - if you're still looking to do this, here's what i ended up with:

1. make sure you have anything you will need in the future backed up from your Mac
    2. restart the mac, and hold down command-R until the recovery console comes up
    3. use disk utility to erase the main hard disk volume
    4. install a fresh copy of OS X

HTH

brian

Brian,

Thanks. This is exactly what I ended up doing. My mac is an iMac from 2008. Just sitting there doing noting. There was a lot of crap on it. Actually had to upgrade to Yosemite. As it turns out, Yosemite is great.

The way I went about it was to create a USB bootable disk (usb hard drive) from the latest ios upgrade I purchased from the app store.

So the Xamarin Visual Studio storyboard editor works much better, but it still crashes visual studio from time to time.

I have discovered that the Visual Studio editor does not do several things that XCode storyboard editor does. The constraints in Visual Studio simply do not work as advertised. Trying to apply constraints still crashes Visual Studio for me.

• AnthonyBoudouvasAnthonyBoudouvas GRMember ✭✭

Constraints also crashes Visual Studio for me too. I just cannot use this thing. I feel that it will break with everything i do with it. The other days, i was trying to setup constraints and some UI controls disappears from the designer...

• YuriShteinmanYuriShteinman CAUniversity ✭✭

I gave up on iOS designer. Crashes all the time, doesn't allow to add view without attaching it to view controller, doesn't have an option to update constrains just to update frames. Constraints often (not always) don't work properly. XCode is doing all this work much better.
    Everybody was waiting for xml designer for Forms but now I am thinking to go "all UI from code" in Forms as I don't have confidence in xaml designers. I guess they have to mature eventually.

Thanks all for the reports about the observed improvements after performing a fresh install on a physical Mac. If anyone who's seeing a problem with constraints has time to file a thorough bug report (see https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/page.cgi?id=bug-writing.html for a recommended list of information to include), I'm sure the iOS designer team would be grateful. If you prefer, feel free to send the information to one of the support email addresses listed on https://store.xamarin.com/account/, and the Xamarin support team will help put together the bug report.

To be a little redundant with the list from Bugzilla, I'll recommend a few specific things to include on the bug report:

• Detailed version information from both Windows and the Mac:

• Detailed Visual Studio version information from "Help -> About Microsoft Visual Studio -> Copy Info [button]"
      • Detailed version information from "Xamarin Studio -> About Xamarin Studio -> Show Details -> Copy Information [button]" on the Mac. The Xamarin Studio version info includes helpful things like OS X version, Xcode version, and Xamarin.iOS version.
      • Windows OS version
    • Any specifics about your networking setup you think might be interesting. For example, you could mention whether either machine is connected via WiFi instead of a wired connection.

• Whether sudo newproc.d 2> /dev/null | grep SpringBoard shows that the SpringBoard processes is restarting repeatedly on the Mac build host after the constraints fail.

• Your log files from XamarinVS (%LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\Log on Windows) and the Xamarin.iOS Build Host (~/Library/Logs/Xamarin/MonoTouchVS on Mac) (see also [1]). Ideally, delete both folders before reproducing the problem. Then, after you've reproduced the error, zip up both log folders and attach the zip file to the bug report. That will ensure that the zip files contains only the latest and most relevant log information.

edited March 2015

Two additional fixes for this problem have been added in Xamarin 3.9.523 and higher. These fixes have resolved the problem in my local tests. See the first post in the thread for a few more details: http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/25504/intermittent-ios-designer-500-internal-server-error-caused-by-xcode-6/p1.

• ChrisColeTechChrisColeTech USMember ✭✭✭

The issue is still occurring in version 3.11.1594

System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
       at MonoTouch.Tools.Utilities.BuildServerClient.ServerIO.Server_Post(String command, MemoryStream ms, IDictionary`2 queryVariables)
       at MonoTouch.Tools.Utilities.BuildServerClient.<>c__DisplayClass12.<ExecuteRawPostCommand>b__11()
       at MonoTouch.Tools.Utilities.BuildServerClient.ExecuteCommandTask[TResult](BuildServerCommand command, Func`1 code, Boolean propagateExceptions)
       at MonoTouch.Tools.Utilities.BuildServerClient.ExecuteRawPostCommand(String commandName, MemoryStream stream, IDictionary`2 queryVariables, Boolean propagateExceptions)
       at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Utilities.VSBuildServerClient.DesignerSendPayload(MemoryStream payload, IDictionary`2 queryVariables, Boolean propagateExceptions)
       at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Designer.DesignerRemoteRequests.<>c__DisplayClassa.<SendPayload>b__7(VSBuildServerClient client)
       at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Utilities.BuildServer.<>c__DisplayClass98`1.<RunOnlyIfConnected>b__96()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    ---> (Inner Exception #0) System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.
       at MonoTouch.Tools.Utilities.BuildServerClient.ServerIO.Server_Post(String command, MemoryStream ms, IDictionary`2 queryVariables)
       at MonoTouch.Tools.Utilities.BuildServerClient.<>c__DisplayClass12.<ExecuteRawPostCommand>b__11()
       at MonoTouch.Tools.Utilities.BuildServerClient.ExecuteCommandTask[TResult](BuildServerCommand command, Func`1 code, Boolean propagateExceptions)
       at MonoTouch.Tools.Utilities.BuildServerClient.ExecuteRawPostCommand(String commandName, MemoryStream stream, IDictionary`2 queryVariables, Boolean propagateExceptions)
       at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Utilities.VSBuildServerClient.DesignerSendPayload(MemoryStream payload, IDictionary`2 queryVariables, Boolean propagateExceptions)
       at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Designer.DesignerRemoteRequests.<>c__DisplayClassa.<SendPayload>b__7(VSBuildServerClient client)
       at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.Utilities.BuildServer.<>c__DisplayClass98`1.<RunOnlyIfConnected>b__96()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()<---

Contents of C:\Users\49848\AppData\Local\Xamarin\Log\12.0\iOSDesigner.2015-11-16__13-3-17.log:
    MDAddinsHash: 3bd1f2499d884882312a769d2d570e397546ec8a

[2015-11-16 13:44:24.5] INFO: Starting full reload...
    [2015-11-16 13:44:24.5] INFO: Reloading: Serialization took 0ms
    [2015-11-16 13:44:24.6] ERROR: EnsureSession (counter 0): System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.
    ---> (Inner Exception #0) System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

[2015-11-16 13:44:24.6] ERROR: Unexpected exception while reloading XML for MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerItem[]
    System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

[2015-11-16 13:44:24.6] INFO: Reload complete in 96ms.
    [2015-11-16 13:47:07.8] INFO: Starting full reload...
    [2015-11-16 13:47:07.8] INFO: Reloading: Serialization took 1ms
    [2015-11-16 13:47:08.5] ERROR: EnsureSession (counter 0): System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

[2015-11-16 13:47:08.5] ERROR: Unexpected exception while reloading XML for MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerItem[]

[2015-11-16 13:47:08.5] INFO: Reload complete in 740ms.
    [2015-11-16 13:47:20.3] INFO: Starting full reload...
    [2015-11-16 13:47:20.3] INFO: Reloading: Serialization took 0ms
    [2015-11-16 13:47:20.5] ERROR: EnsureSession (counter 0): System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

[2015-11-16 13:47:20.5] ERROR: Unexpected exception while reloading XML for MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerItem[]