Refreshing current activity

Hello guys ! I am new to Xamarin and I am trying to refresh my MainActivity from itself. I read a lot of forums about that but I still can't find any solution. My problem is that I need to do the refreshing from another method, not within the onCreate() method.

Thanks in advance ! :)

• SebastianSeidel.9226SebastianSeidel.9226 DEInsider, University ✭✭✭✭

Can you tell us more about what you are trying to do? Why do you need to refresh your activity? Can OnResume() be helpful?

• StefanStefanovStefanStefanov USMember
    edited September 2014

My MainActivity is a listview and I want to reload the whole activity in order to refresh the listview. I need to reload the whole activity cuz in my situation I can't use NotifyDataSetChanged() because the changes I am making to the listview are not within the onCreate() method and not in a new activity neither. I have a CAB menu from where the user has the option to delete selected note from the listview. I am using the NotifyDataSetChanged() method in my onResume() method and it's working perfectly when I am making the changes to my listview in another activity but it's not working when I am making them from the current activity cuz then the onResume() method is not being called .

• StefanStefanovStefanStefanov USMember
    edited September 2014

I am trying doing it like this :

Intent refresh = new Intent(this ,typeof(MainActivity));
    refresh.AddFlags(ActivityFlags.NoAnimation);
    Finish();
    StartActivity(refresh);

but it's giving me NullPointerException on the first row already .. And the exception I think is the "this". So I tried it differently : instead of using "this" I am using - Intent refresh = new Intent(context ,typeof(MainActivity)); where context=this in the onCreate() method. But in this way it's still giving me a NullPointerException but this time on the row - StartActivity(refresh) ..

• ShailDShailD USMember ✭✭
    edited September 2014

Wouldn't a simple call to this.Recreate() suffice?

We use this to "refresh" the Activity every time user switches the app's language using a toggle-button.

See this page of Android documentation.

• I've already tried using this.Recreate() but it's giving me NullPointerException ..

• SebastianSeidel.9226SebastianSeidel.9226 DEInsider, University ✭✭✭✭

A quick way to refresh a listview is by updating its adapter. One way, probably not the best, is to attach a new instance. This would look like ListView.Adapter = new MyListViewAdapter();. Another way would be to provide a method inside your adapter that can be called outside like myListViewAdapter.Update();

But to be able to help you and stop guessing it would be helpful if you can post your activity implementation.

• guruvusettyguruvusetty USMember
    edited September 2015

Hi,
    Can any one explain with an example on Refreshing current activity on button click event.

• HirHir USMember ✭✭

hello , for refreshing the layout page simply.....rebind the page with layout....
    SetContentView(Resource.Layout.Cartlayout);

do this at activity when you wann to refresh the page...like add new item on listview