Latest version: build is extremely slow and it is hurting productivity!

2»

• AshleyGazichAshleyGazich USXamarin Team Xamurai

@DerekFoulk @RahulGandhi.5723

This thread is quite old and may not be relevant for the issue you are having. For troubleshooting a new scenario that is not resolved by the steps earlier in this thread, I would recommend creating a new forum discussion or question. This helps your posts be seen by a broader audience, and also helps others find relevant threads when searching for potential issues.

One small thing that might be worth checking is if there is a package called “Xamarin.Build.Download” with an update available (current stable is v0.4.3); there was an issue with an older version that could result is some unexpected delays that sound a little similar to what you've mentioned. Should the issue persist, it would be interesting to know whether deploying to device happens to be any faster. If Visual Studio itself is freezing/hanging, please attach the current call stacks of the Visual Studio process and full version info to your new post. Thanks!

• JedatJedat SIMember ✭✭
    edited April 2017

After i have updated to the latest version today (April 20, 2017) the "Visual Studio for Mac" always hangs after i click "build".

Visual Studio for Mac Preview
    Version Preview 8 (7.0 build 2845)

Xamarin.iOS
    Version: 10.10.0.11 (Visual Studio Enterprise)

Mac OS X 10.12.4 (Sierra)
    Darwin 16.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 16.5.0

• AshleyGazichAshleyGazich USXamarin Team Xamurai

@Jedat

This thread is quite old and may not be relevant for the issue you are having. For troubleshooting a new scenario that is not resolved by the steps earlier in this thread, I would recommend creating a new forum discussion or question. Thanks!

• JedatJedat SIMember ✭✭

Found a "solution". I have to delete the bin and obj folders. Close Visual Studio for Mac Preview. Lunch it. Then clean my project and then i can build it. I have to do this every time. When i switch from building iOS to Android. And breakpoints don't work on devices, just in emulators/simulators. Posted this here just in case someone else might benefit from it, since this in the top result in google search.

• mafbacktrackmafbacktrack USMember

I using like this specification; processor Core i7, RAM 8GB. Every build an empty project it will take long time. About 5-10 minute. :-(

• PaulSinnemaPaulSinnema NLMember ✭✭
    edited June 2017

I don't know if this is the same problem but my build hangs always at this point in the flow:

1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\layout\homeview.xml
    1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\layout\loginnotificationfragment.xml
    1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\layout\registerdeviceview.xml
    1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\layout\registrationsucceededview.xml
    1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\layout\splashscreen.xml
    1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\layout\textnotificationfragment.xml
    1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\layout\textnotificationitemtemplate.xml
    1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\menu\homenotificationsmenu.xml
    1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\values\colors.xml
    1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\values\strings.xml
    1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\values\styles.xml
    1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\values\values.xml
    1>C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_121\bin\keytool.exe -list -alias androiddebugkey -storepass android -keypass android -keystore "C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Xamarin\Mono for Android\debug.keystore"
    1>C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_121\bin\jarsigner.exe -keystore "C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Xamarin\Mono for Android\debug.keystore" -storepass android -keypass android -digestalg SHA1 -sigalg md5withRSA -signedjar bin\Debug\
    1>l.natuurnetwerk.notifier-Signed-Unaligned.apk C:\Projects\Notifier\Notifier\Notifier.Android\obj\Debug\android\bin
    1>l.natuurnetwerk.notifier.apk androiddebugkey
    1>No -tsa or -tsacert is provided and this jar is not timestamped. Without a timestamp, users may not be able to validate this jar after the signer certificate's expiration date (2047-02-06) or after any future revocation date.
    1>C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\build-tools\25.0.0\zipalign.exe 4 "C:\Projects\Notifier\Notifier\Notifier.Android\bin\Debug
    1>l.natuurnetwerk.notifier-Signed-Unaligned.apk" "bin\Debug\
    1>l.natuurnetwerk.notifier-Signed.apk"

With verbosity set to detailed this is show when hanging:

2> EnableInstantRun: False
    2> InstantRunForceUploadApk: True
    2> AndroidSdkPath: C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk
    2> AndroidNdkPath: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\AndroidNDK64\android-ndk-r13b
    2> JavaSdkPath: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_121
    2> Found AndroidSdk at C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk
    2> Found AndroidNdk at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\AndroidNDK64\android-ndk-r13b
    2> Found AndroidTools at C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\tools
    2>DEBUG RunShellCommand 1015faeb8a312a02 getprop
    2>TASK: GetProperties getprop completed?:[audioflinger.bootsnd]: [0]
    2>[boot.sfbootcomplete]: [0]
    2>[dalvik.vm.appimageformat]: [lz4]
    2>[dalvik.vm....
    2>[BEGIN] Detecting installed packages
    2>[MESSAGE] Detecting installed packages...
    2>Detecting installed packages...
    2>DEBUG RunShellCommand 1015faeb8a312a02 am broadcast -a "mono.android.intent.action.PACKAGE_VERSIONS" -e "packages" "Mono.Android.DebugRuntime,Mono.Android.Platform.ApiLevel_25,nl.natuurnetwerk.notifier" -n "Mono.Android.DebugRuntime/com.xamarin.mono.android.PackageVersions"

• Boogaloos1234Boogaloos1234 ZAMember

Above is a screenshot of my log. I have waited over 30 minutes for the build. I decided to cancel the build and and naturally it says it failed and that I cancelled the build. Could anyone assist?

• XamITXamIT USMember ✭✭

I am having this same issue in VS 15.6. Very difficult to believe this issue from 2014 is still persisted until this version 15.6.1 om 2018......very discouraging .....

• XamITXamIT USMember ✭✭

@AshleyGazich - this thread may be quite old but the issue is still active and very painful.
    For last 3 days, since VS upgrade to 15.6.1 from 15.5.6 the Xamarin development experience has become utterly worst ...

• kzukzu USXamarin Team, Insider Xamurai

heya @XamIT it would be helpful if you can elaborate or report a proper bug via the VS feedback tool. This thread has grown to a myriad of completely unrelated issues and many of them have long since been resolved, while other may remain, but it's impossible to tell what "having this same issue" means anymore.

Best way is to reproduce the issue and (for Visual Studio 2017) then click the feedback icon near the top-right of the main window and select Report a Problem. That will properly collect the necessary logs so we can inspect the issue more closely.

Thanks!

• XamITXamIT USMember ✭✭

Hi @kzu , this issue has been reported in the VS Feedback tool as well as on the GitHub https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-android/issues/1392.

The community members here are addressing a common experience of productivity loss every time a new upgrade is been released. The history of this thread is from 2014 and is barely touching second page. So, let's not push back on learning from each other.

It will really help to capture a common theme that everyone is reporting in this thread [since 2014] rather than just focusing on a specific technical issue that may have caused the same symptom.

An open mind to accept and to address some core persisting, unpleasant and repeating issues and experiences will lead us as a community at a much better state.

After having 7 preview releases of for 15.6, we still have to experience issues around the fundamental behavioral expectations from the tooling. That's not acceptable and appreciated. Along with new features, stability, robustness and continued high performance of the tooling is a must. Otherwise, Xamarin will go in the same history book of Windows 10 Phone.

A key request will be to address this issue at the fundamental core product's architecture level and have key regression test suites look for this behavior during the each preview launches and approval.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited March 13

Thanks for the feedback and the GitHub Issues report.

Developer Community cross-references for possibly related recent items

Starting with Visual Studio 2017 version 15.6, under certain conditions the .apk package signing or deployment to emulator or device starts but never completes, maybe due to an issue with the apksigner.bat command:

In the latest versions and probably earlier versions too, Xamarin.Android builds take longer to complete than some other target platforms for the same source code:

(Note that the engineering team studies any issues where the vote count on Developer Community (or the corresponding automated telemetry for hangs and crashes in the IDE) rises markedly after a non-preview release. They use this review process to determine a next set of recommendations for how to avoid similar scenarios for future non-preview releases. Many different aspects are involved for different kinds of issues, and adding new recommendations is an iterative process across releases. So many thanks for using the product, reporting issues, and voting to help make Visual Studio better!)

• XamITXamIT USMember ✭✭

Hi @BrendanZagaeski - appreciate your acknowledgement of the issues reported on developer community and git hub.
    I reported those issues 3-4 days ago including as much detailed log input as possible; but no major traction on response to address those yet.

As much as we can understand and appreciate you sharing the process of the engineering team with us - the key question as mentioned above remains open - Are Xamarin and VS product teams (Windows and MAC both) committed to release new features at the cost of product's robust stable performance or release new features without breaking any foundational architecture and the performance of the product.

Also, it is so apparent from multiple threads, previews, blogs and GitHub issues that Xamarin team is more interested in making VS on Mac successful first instead of having it prioritized first on the Windows platform even when after Microsoft acquired Xamarin almost two years ago.

There is a lot to be learned from what we as a developer community, techie experts, MS evangelists have already lost in the Windows 10 Mobile space. Let's hope that the Xamarin culture of non-Windows love doesn't repeat the same failure at Microsoft for us.

It is about time for the Visual Studio on Windows to be rock solid when it comes to development in the Mobility and IoT space.

It is frustrating to see the basic quality that was absent 2 years prior to MS acquisition continues even after 2 years of MS acquisition. [ for another evidence read this blog by one of the Ex-Xamarin veteran Paul Reichelt - https://medium.com/@reicheltp/dev-diary-4-why-i-left-xamarin-behind-35817ccd07b2 ]

We want to focus on building business solutions and not spend 75% of our time figuring out product patches and hacks.

Please listen to the developers' needs.

We are successful because of you and vice versa.

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

+2 to the posting of @XamIT

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Thanks for the questions. The short answer is, no, new features are absolutely not being added with a policy that it's OK to break existing features or projects. Off-hand I don't have a recommendation for the best place to ask more questions or get more of hands-on insight about the development strategy. Probably the best would be at an in-person venue, but getting that chance is somewhat tricky. Another idea could be to follow the open-source development process of Xamarin SDKs (gradually growing more open) to see how the team works. At the moment that might not be too informative, but perhaps in the future as more of the release planning discussion moves into GitHub and Gitter, that would be another useful place to look. Feedback on Xamarin user surveys is definitely recommended too!

• kzukzu USXamarin Team, Insider Xamurai

I wanted to report back that we dug deeper on why this was the case, and at least one root cause was found (for Android deployment taking way too long on every build). An update to our upstream nuget packages for Android will be posted soon. Will keep you posted!

Also, @XamIT, would you happen to have the feedback item URL handy to see if it's the same issue? Thanks!

• XamITXamIT USMember ✭✭

Hi @kzu,

Our community and I appreciate the update. Hopefully, all issues surrounding this problem will be addressed for good, and the update will be current to support up to Android P SDK / API.

Here are few feedback URLs that speak for these issues -
    1> https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/210249/vs-2017-156-xamarin-android-build-hangs-on-deploye.html
    2> https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/212380/vs-2917-ent-1561-performance-slowed-to-a-crawl.html
    3> https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/210639/building-a-xamarinandroid-library-is-about-4-to-5.html

Also, if needed and helpful, your team can also refer to the steps I followed on manually updating the latest nuget Xamarin package
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/323226#Comment_323226

Please note - up until 15.5.6 JDK 9 and JDK 8 could coexist and never caused any issue for building, deploying and debugging Android applications. Will you please have your team bring forward that stability in the next update of VS and NuGet package?

Thank you

• XamITXamIT USMember ✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski , @kzu, @JamesMontemagno , @DavidOrtinau and Xamarin & Microsoft leadership team -
    Just following up on our earlier conversation in this thread -

Saw this new forum started on VS 15.6.2 ... https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/123790/15-6-2-needs-rebuild-every-time

Does this add up to what we have been talking earlier ?

Our sincere request for a strong rigor when releasing GA versions of Visual Studio- one of the most valuable assets in the technology world.

• XamITXamIT USMember ✭✭

@kzu, @BrendanZagaeski -

Can you share any insight and ETA on any finding that Xamarin team may have had so far on this issue?

Thank you,

2»