Latest version: build is extremely slow and it is hurting productivity!

2»

• AshleyGazichAshleyGazich USXamarin Team Xamurai

@DerekFoulk @RahulGandhi.5723

This thread is quite old and may not be relevant for the issue you are having. For troubleshooting a new scenario that is not resolved by the steps earlier in this thread, I would recommend creating a new forum discussion or question. This helps your posts be seen by a broader audience, and also helps others find relevant threads when searching for potential issues.

One small thing that might be worth checking is if there is a package called “Xamarin.Build.Download” with an update available (current stable is v0.4.3); there was an issue with an older version that could result is some unexpected delays that sound a little similar to what you've mentioned. Should the issue persist, it would be interesting to know whether deploying to device happens to be any faster. If Visual Studio itself is freezing/hanging, please attach the current call stacks of the Visual Studio process and full version info to your new post. Thanks!

• JedatJedat SIMember ✭✭
    edited April 20

After i have updated to the latest version today (April 20, 2017) the "Visual Studio for Mac" always hangs after i click "build".

Visual Studio for Mac Preview
    Version Preview 8 (7.0 build 2845)

Xamarin.iOS
    Version: 10.10.0.11 (Visual Studio Enterprise)

Mac OS X 10.12.4 (Sierra)
    Darwin 16.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 16.5.0

• AshleyGazichAshleyGazich USXamarin Team Xamurai

@Jedat

This thread is quite old and may not be relevant for the issue you are having. For troubleshooting a new scenario that is not resolved by the steps earlier in this thread, I would recommend creating a new forum discussion or question. Thanks!

• JedatJedat SIMember ✭✭

Found a "solution". I have to delete the bin and obj folders. Close Visual Studio for Mac Preview. Lunch it. Then clean my project and then i can build it. I have to do this every time. When i switch from building iOS to Android. And breakpoints don't work on devices, just in emulators/simulators. Posted this here just in case someone else might benefit from it, since this in the top result in google search.

• mafbacktrackmafbacktrack USMember

I using like this specification; processor Core i7, RAM 8GB. Every build an empty project it will take long time. About 5-10 minute. :-(

• PaulSinnemaPaulSinnema NLMember ✭✭
    edited June 13

I don't know if this is the same problem but my build hangs always at this point in the flow:

1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\layout\homeview.xml
    1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\layout\loginnotificationfragment.xml
    1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\layout\registerdeviceview.xml
    1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\layout\registrationsucceededview.xml
    1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\layout\splashscreen.xml
    1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\layout\textnotificationfragment.xml
    1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\layout\textnotificationitemtemplate.xml
    1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\menu\homenotificationsmenu.xml
    1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\values\colors.xml
    1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\values\strings.xml
    1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\values\styles.xml
    1> Processing: obj\Debug\res\values\values.xml
    1>C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_121\bin\keytool.exe -list -alias androiddebugkey -storepass android -keypass android -keystore "C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Xamarin\Mono for Android\debug.keystore"
    1>C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_121\bin\jarsigner.exe -keystore "C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Xamarin\Mono for Android\debug.keystore" -storepass android -keypass android -digestalg SHA1 -sigalg md5withRSA -signedjar bin\Debug\
    1>l.natuurnetwerk.notifier-Signed-Unaligned.apk C:\Projects\Notifier\Notifier\Notifier.Android\obj\Debug\android\bin
    1>l.natuurnetwerk.notifier.apk androiddebugkey
    1>No -tsa or -tsacert is provided and this jar is not timestamped. Without a timestamp, users may not be able to validate this jar after the signer certificate's expiration date (2047-02-06) or after any future revocation date.
    1>C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\build-tools\25.0.0\zipalign.exe 4 "C:\Projects\Notifier\Notifier\Notifier.Android\bin\Debug
    1>l.natuurnetwerk.notifier-Signed-Unaligned.apk" "bin\Debug\
    1>l.natuurnetwerk.notifier-Signed.apk"

With verbosity set to detailed this is show when hanging:

2> EnableInstantRun: False
    2> InstantRunForceUploadApk: True
    2> AndroidSdkPath: C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk
    2> AndroidNdkPath: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\AndroidNDK64\android-ndk-r13b
    2> JavaSdkPath: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_121
    2> Found AndroidSdk at C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk
    2> Found AndroidNdk at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\AndroidNDK64\android-ndk-r13b
    2> Found AndroidTools at C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\tools
    2>DEBUG RunShellCommand 1015faeb8a312a02 getprop
    2>TASK: GetProperties getprop completed?:[audioflinger.bootsnd]: [0]
    2>[boot.sfbootcomplete]: [0]
    2>[dalvik.vm.appimageformat]: [lz4]
    2>[dalvik.vm....
    2>[BEGIN] Detecting installed packages
    2>[MESSAGE] Detecting installed packages...
    2>Detecting installed packages...
    2>DEBUG RunShellCommand 1015faeb8a312a02 am broadcast -a "mono.android.intent.action.PACKAGE_VERSIONS" -e "packages" "Mono.Android.DebugRuntime,Mono.Android.Platform.ApiLevel_25,nl.natuurnetwerk.notifier" -n "Mono.Android.DebugRuntime/com.xamarin.mono.android.PackageVersions"

• Boogaloos1234Boogaloos1234 ZAMember

Above is a screenshot of my log. I have waited over 30 minutes for the build. I decided to cancel the build and and naturally it says it failed and that I cancelled the build. Could anyone assist?

2»