Unable to deploy any app to IOS device since upgrading Xcode and Xamarin

Hi, is anyone else having this issue. I get it with existing projects and new "helloWorld" ones... (targeting IOS 7.1)

writeDictToFile:1249 open failed for .../obj/iPhone/Debug/mtouch-cache/install-shadow-directory/3a0069ec9b7a99ce8b1e6aa71e94ecde/852945422379d79b73b5ea1ec8ac0f0cf41d0b21/ManifestCache.plist : No such file or directory

MDMCacheDirectoryManifest:1323 writeDictToFile failed to write to .../obj/iPhone/Debug/mtouch-cache/install-shadow-directory/3a0069ec9b7a99ce8b1e6aa71e94ecde/852945422379d79b73b5ea1ec8ac0f0cf41d0b21/ManifestCache.plist : No such file or directory

error MT1006: Could not install the application '.../Debug/JahGeneIOS.app' on the device Test iPhone: TimeOut Error (error: 0xe800000c).

• VinnieVivaceVinnieVivace Vinnie Vivace NZMember ✭✭

Resolved this by rebooting my IOS device.

• outringoutring Vasiliy Aksyonov RUMember

Having the almost the same issue, but with different error in last line: Invalid Argument Error (error: 0xe8000007).

Device reboot doesn't help :(

Solution cleanup solved the problem :)

• NealCulinerNealCuliner Neal Culiner USBeta ✭✭✭

I've tried everything and cannot get the app pushed to my iPhone 6 plus in Release/Device mode. I reported a bug:

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=23303

• VinnieVivaceVinnieVivace Vinnie Vivace NZMember ✭✭

another thing worth trying is to set IOS Build: Linker options to "link SDK assemblies only". I had all sorts of weirdness going on after the upgrade (second time in the last few weeks a Xamarin upgrade has caused me real headaches sadly).

The linking does fix an issue with iOS 7.x sims.

Try this if you have the issue:

1) Go to the iOS Dev portal and review your iCloud settings, Apple migrated everyone to the new CloudKit. I don't know if this is a big deal or not but I set mine back to XCode 5

2) Save and then regen your profile and download your DEV profile

3) Using Xcode (Window/Devices) remove all of your old provisioning files from your device and now add your new DEV profile

4) Double-click on Entitlements.plist in your solution if you have one and uncheck Passbook (there is a bug where it remains on, which is now marked fixed). With passbook UNCHECKED now deploy to your device.

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast Jeffrey Stedfast USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

For anyone currently hitting this bug, could you check your device logs to see which entitlement it says is invalid?

• JFernandezJFernandez Jorge Fernandez CAMember, University

I have had the same problem for several days by now. The app cannot be uploaded to the device. Entitlements.plist was not installed in Xamarin for many years. I didn't need it. ****The problem began when I installed Entitlements.plist ****because I wanted to try a fix related to not being able to connect to APNS to get the device token.

The first error message was: (note it says that signing/provisional profiles not correctly configured. I did not make any changes when installing Entitlements.plist).

writeDictToFile:1249 open failed for /var/folders/vd/gvx3b90s30vcn3wyf0l1f67m0000gn/T/Xamarin.iOS_InstallShadowPath/07e3ceaf684e021fdd2b988c1876f005/a82145c78fd6f1f60645e0dc5e531699ac6597a1/ManifestCache.plist : No such file or directory
    MDMCacheDirectoryManifest:1323 writeDictToFile failed to write to /var/folders/vd/gvx3b90s30vcn3wyf0l1f67m0000gn/T/Xamarin.iOS_InstallShadowPath/07e3ceaf684e021fdd2b988c1876f005/a82145c78fd6f1f60645e0dc5e531699ac6597a1/ManifestCache.plist : No such file or directory
    error MT1006: Could not install the application .Your code signing/provisioning profiles are not correctly configured. Probably you have an entitlement not supported by your current provisioning profile, check the iOS Device Log for details (error: 0xe8008016).
    The application was terminated by a signal: SIGHUP

I created a new Distribution Provisional profile and did not fix it. I created a new Distribution Certificate, deleted the previous provisional profiles and created new ones. At this point, I only have the iOS Push Services Certificate, the Development certificate and the new Distribution certificate. I only have one Development and one Distribution provisional profile. I have Xcode 6.0.1 and Xamarin Studio 5.5. I uninstalled and reinstalled them two times already. Still, the application cannot upload to the device.

After all these changes, see the different reason that the error message shows now. It does not make any sense to me.

writeDictToFile:1249 open failed for /var/folders/vd/gvx3b90s30vcn3wyf0l1f67m0000gn/T/Xamarin.iOS_InstallShadowPath/07e3ceaf684e021fdd2b988c1876f005/a82145c78fd6f1f60645e0dc5e531699ac6597a1/ManifestCache.plist : No such file or directory
    MDMCacheDirectoryManifest:1323 writeDictToFile failed to write to /var/folders/vd/gvx3b90s30vcn3wyf0l1f67m0000gn/T/Xamarin.iOS_InstallShadowPath/07e3ceaf684e021fdd2b988c1876f005/a82145c78fd6f1f60645e0dc5e531699ac6597a1/ManifestCache.plist : No such file or directory
    error MT1006: Could not install the application Your application failed code-signing checks. Check your certificates, provisioning profiles, and bundle ids. Probably your device is not part of the selected provisioning profile (error: 0xe8008015).
    failed to suspend thread 0xb0217000 due to Thread is detaching, hopefully it is dead

All the settings are correct. I think Xamarin is using previous selections of identity and provisional profiles selected instead of those of using the newest identity and provisional profile because sometimes an "unknown provision profile appears on the drop down window that is not even created. .

Does anyone know how to remove the Entitlements.plist? I tried downgrading and it still appears and the problem persists.

Thanks.

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast Jeffrey Stedfast USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

You can remove your Entitlements.plist by just deleting it from your project.

I think Xamarin is using previous selections of identity and provisional profiles selected instead of those of using the newest identity and provisional profile because sometimes an "unknown provision profile appears on the drop down window that is not even created.

Every provisioning profile you have ever created/downloaded is stored in the ~/Library/MobileDevices/Provisioning Profiles/ directory. You can safely delete all of the files in that directory and then re-download them (using Xcode or manually).

Another option is to select the specific provisioning profile you want to use in the Project Options dialog - if it is set to "Automatic", then it might be choosing the wrong one (when set to "Automatic", it just guesses which one to use based on the CFBundleIdentifier in your Info.plist).

It looks like with XCode 6 when you sync your profiles it's going to change you to CloudKit so check your dev portal and configure as needed. In hours of working on this today the problem went away by removing Entitlements.plist. It appears that CloudKit is configured via the Apple Profile now and NOT via Entitlements.plist. So try turning off Enable iCloud in the Entitlements.plist if you need other entitlements otherwise remove the plist and check your signing configs so that it is not included in the Custom Entitlements. This resolved my issues and I validated iCloud works.

I'll be looking into how to fix this in Xamarin Studio on Monday now that you've narrowed it down to the cause. I suspect there will be others that will hit this issue.

I removed the Entitlements.plist early this morning as @jeffreysteadfast suggested and, after working all day on this problem, and following @nealculiner during my working hours, I still have the problem. The app downloads in Debug, and Ad Hoc to the iPhone, but it does not work for Distribution or Release. This problem began when I installed the Entitlements.plist file. Even if the file does not exist, its installation changed something in the relationship between Xamarin and the Distribution Provisioning profiles in the portal or linked to Xcode 6. I have regenerated and then created new certificates, provisioning profiles, removed and added devices, tried using a different App ID. Different devices - different apps. I added the iCloud selection to the App ID and set it for Xcode 5 and nothing of this works for me.

Jeffrey, could you please provide me with a link to download Xamarin 7.1.0 to install it with Xcode 5?

I do not know why deleting Entitlements.plist did not work for me. How is this possible?

Thanks.

In the Apple portal you may have to assign a container to your CloudKit - click Edit to view the configuration. I believe any time you sync from Xcode it's going to change your iCloud over to CloudKit. Then make sure in all builds in Xam Studio that you do not have Entitlements.plist specified in the Custom Entitlements text box.

• NyozzNyozz Henry Keller USMember
    edited September 2014

deleting the Entitlements.plist did the trick. It is kinda funny because I needed the Entitlements.plist in the first place to compile the app and now it is working without it, sounds strange.

@nyozz. I still have the problem even if I deleted Entitlements.plist. Could you please tell me if you are in Stable or in Alpha channel and more details. Thanks.

• NyozzNyozz Henry Keller USMember

@JFernandez Hey, I use stable channel targeting ios 7.0 but using ios 8 SDK. Push Service is the only background mode I use, Besides that it is a normal project. Do you encounter the same error with new projects too?

I did almost everything mentioned in this post, so it could be that the solution is simply a combination of the tips mentioned here.

PS: My project did not even work in debug mode before deleting the Entitlements.plist

• HugoLogmans.3767HugoLogmans.3767 Hugo Logmans NLMember ✭✭
    edited September 2014

I get this error when targeting iOS 7.0 or 7.1. I do not have, nor did have an entitlements.plist. I also do not use background modes etc. I cannot even upload to my debug device using a debug profile (which always worked in the past). Tried building, cleaning etc...

When I set the target to iOS 8, I get the error (AFTER uploading to device) that this app cannot be started because iOS 8 is not yet installed. So it seems to be able to upload it.

Hmmm, upgraded the device to iOS 8 and still got the error...

Sigh, it was just my certificates that were expired. So this exact error also happens when the certificates are expired.

For those of you who's certificates have not expired, the iCloud entitlements problem has been solved in https://files.xamarin.com/~jeff/XamarinStudio-5.6.0.220.dmg

• FabienMolinetFabienMolinet Fabien Molinet FRMember ✭✭
    edited October 2014

I had the same issue...

I fixed it by :

1- removing my profile from iOS Member Center

2- recreating it and regenerating the file in iOS Member Center

3- installed new profile on device

4- cleaned solution

5- rebuild

Then deployment worked

• HavenFalkHavenFalk Haven Falk USMember

@JeffreyStedfast‌ What's the status of this entitlements fix being pushed to Stable (or even Beta or Alpha)? I've been waiting to submit my app because of this entitlements problem because I'm not sure if it's safe to officially submit an app with an untested developer build. Is there any way to fix the problem by manually editing Entitlements.plist with the current stable build instead (5.5 build 227)?

There's no difference between 5.5 and the 5.6 I linked above except for the fixes.

• DaveLambregtsDaveLambregts Dave Lambregts USMember

If I delete the entitlement. It gives an error, asking for the entitlement....
    Im stuck on this problem aswel

Apple changed their iCloud entitlements between iOS 7 and iOS 8. If you look in your Entitlements.plist file, you probably have a key named com.apple.developer.ubiquity-container-identifiers with a value like 726ADDF5.com.my-company.app-name.

Delete that and replace it with the new iOS 8 key: com.apple.developer.icloud-container-identifiers with a value of iCloud.com.my-company.app-name.

• KrisztianGyurisKrisztianGyuris Krisztian Gyuris HUUniversity

Cleaning and rebuilding my solution helped my problem...

• YidingWangYidingWang Yiding Wang USMember

I had the same issue. For me, I can run on iPad but not on my iPod. Then I changed "Supported Architecture" from ARMv7s to ARMv7 under iOS build advanced configuration. It works. Apparently my iPod doesn't support ARMv7s. However, I never met this issue before.

Anyway, hope my information can help you.

• BenBrookeBenBrooke Ben Brooke USUniversity

I upgraded to the iphone6 and now I'm getting the error "Could not connect to the debugger" when I try to Debug from the phone.

I've done the following and nothing seems to work.

1) Provisioned iphone through xcode

2) removed Entitlements.plist from the solution

3) Cleaned Solution & Rebuild Solution

4) running the most recent Stable version of Xamarin

Any thoughts on what else I can try. I believe the issue is related to the other posts in this thread.

• Pratik.0946Pratik.0946 Pratik USUniversity

I am also facing the same problem. I have done the following things:
    1. Common steps suggested on the Xamarin website.
    2. Deleted Entitlements.plist from the solution.
    3. cleaned the solution and tried to debug on iPad.

I still receive the following error
    writeDictToFile:1249 open failed for /Users//Projects/People/iOS/obj/iPhone/Debug/mtouch-cache/install-shadow-directory/c90e2058cf58765ec4a6a39537a9a4db/106340108f089675c637ce04db8b47228591bf2f/ManifestCache.plist : No such file or directory
    MDMCacheDirectoryManifest:1323 writeDictToFile failed to write to /Users//Projects/People/iOS/obj/iPhone/Debug/mtouch-cache/install-shadow-directory/c90e2058cf58765ec4a6a39537a9a4db/106340108f089675c637ce04db8b47228591bf2f/ManifestCache.plist : No such file or directory
    error MT1006: Could not install the application '/Users//Projects/People/iOS/bin/iPhone/Debug/PeopleiOS.app' on the device Pratik's iPad: Your code signing/provisioning profiles are not correctly configured. Probably you have an entitlement not supported by your current provisioning profile, check the iOS Device Log for details (error: 0xe8008016).
    failed to suspend thread 0xb0195000 due to Thread is detaching, hopefully it is dead

Is this a known problem. I have xamarin 5.5.4(build 15) version installed.

Look in your device logs to see which Entitlement key it is complaining about and then make sure that you do not have that key set.

Hi Jeff,

I am not able to find any logs in xcode.
    Can you please provide the list of steps as I am pretty new to xamarin forms?

Jeffrey thanks a lot. I did check the logs and deleted all the Entitlement keys that gave the problem and now it works. Thanks a lot

You're welcome!

• SteveKeane.9277SteveKeane.9277 Steve Keane GBMember, Beta

Yep. Me too post.
    It started a couple of days ago when I added some APNS provisoning profile stuff got a new cert and a new dev profile and cert and then started specifying the specific profile to use. Push wasn't working so I tried switching to a ad-hoc profile after jumping tru all the hoops on the apple site.

Once that was done it seemed borked for good until I deleted the Entitlements.plist.

Now deploys again but I get "Error registering push notification - no valid 'aps-environment' entitlement string found for application" message popping up on the screen when the app loads.

Is there a fix for this yet as I really want to get this app in before the xmas shutdown and push was the last element :(

• rmaciasrmacias Ruben Macias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014

@uwantfries‌, you need to add the aps-environment entitlement string to your Entitlements.plist file. For Ad-Hoc and App Store profiles, the value should be "production". For development profiles, the value should be "development".

Open your Entitlements.plist file in Xamarin Studio. Click on the "Source" tab on the bottom. Then add a new string property called "aps-environment". For the Value, add "Production" or "Development". "Production" only works for AdHoc/AppStore provisioning profiles. "Development" only works for Development profiles. What I do is create two Entitlements.plist files (Entitlements-Dev.plist and Entitlements-Prod.plist). They are both identical, except for the pas-environment values. Then in your Project Settings, you can specify each entitlement file for your DEBUG and AD-Hoc builds.

OK thanks for that. I will try it out this evening!

Looking at the .mobileprovision files - they seem to specify these values already so unless you have to double enter them (once in the .mobileprovision and once in the Entitlements.plist) I don't think that is the problem :(

• rmaciasrmacias Ruben Macias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

Your Entitlements.plist file must match the entitlements listed in your provisioning profile. If they don't match, your app will not be allowed to use that profile.

edited December 2014

@rmacias - thanks for the clarification. Sadly I tried it ,but still no joy. My Entitlements-dev.plist looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
        <key>aps-environment</key>
        <string>development</string>
    </dict>
    </plist>

which looks OK to me.

I have also tried regenerating the provisioning profile but that did not help ether.