The referenced project is targeting a higher framework - while it is not

Dear Xamarinos,

I have a nasty because illogical warning in my solution.

In project X I reference project Y. _Both _ projects have recently been switched to compile using Android version API Level 14 (Xamarin.Android v4.0 Support).

However, project X raises a warning:
"The referenced project 'Y' is targeting a higher framework version (4.0) than this project’s current target framework version (2.2). This may lead to build failures if types from assemblies outside this project’s target framework are used by any project in the dependency chain."

Saying it again, this is highly illogical because both projects are set to API Level 14 now. I even rebuilt and cleaned the solution and projects over and over, but this didn't solve the issue.

I don't know where it gets "2.2" from. It was the version before changing it to 4.0, but as said, this change has been saved, checked in, reopened, cleaned, built, and also appears in the project properties.
How can I fix this?

• Same error.

The referenced project A is targeting a higher framework version (2.3) than this project’s current target framework version (2.2). This may lead to build failures if types from assemblies outside this project’s target framework are used by any project in the dependency chain.

Both projects are Api Level 10 (2.3)