Some class topics that might prove beneficial for everyone

ThomasMcKaneThomasMcKane USMember, University

Device integration for iOS/Android - Camera, GPS, Bluetooth, etc

Client Server architecture on mobile devices - SQL backends, MS SQL connectivity (System.Data)

iOS SQLite development - caching data locally, images, queries, form integration, etc

• MarkSmith.8123MarkSmith.8123 USXamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai

Great ideas @ThomasMcKane‌, we've got some of this on the roadmap but I've made sure to uptick them in our priorities, thanks!

Mark Smith | Xamarin Curriculum

• RenHammingtonRenHammington NZMember, University

Security best practices would be useful. Common implementation patterns. Pin numbers, etc.

• VictorHGarciaVictorHGarcia USUniversity ✭✭

One class that probably everybody will be attending for sure is "Error Handler (subject to change)", each app must deal with errors and we need to find a way to best handle them.
    For example:
    Errors with Network connection on iOS and Android (OnLoad, When consuming a web service,), Errors into the code, etc.

What should we do in case for example network connection is gone? close the app? continue offering something? show alerts? what is the best, I think a class of 2 hours can HELP a lot on this matter, that I personally see it still in the dark.

Best practices about how to handle them.

Just my gran of salt.

Thanks

• MarkSmith.8123MarkSmith.8123 USXamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai

@VictorHGarcia‌ We are incorporating these sorts of things into the specific classes; for example - we'll have an update to the web service class here very shortly which include details on network types, detection and handling error conditions; as well as using REST and SOAP.

Are you thinking something a little more general - like exception management, or are there other error cases you would be interested in particularly?

Thanks!
    mark

• VictorHGarciaVictorHGarcia USUniversity ✭✭

Actually it is good to cover some minor of error handler on the classes, however I was thinking in a class that can cover best practices and several scenarios for iOS and Android and why not WP as well.

So, for example the other day I had to deal really really hard to know how to implement an Error handler in the mobile app, since the client asked to detect whenever a data network connection changed to disconnected, then display an alert. I made it for iOS but on Android (I could not, sadly) I could detect the network changed status, but never could fire the alert.

And also for example: When consuming a webservice external, why if while gathering data a connection is lost, how to handle that and let the user what happen, also in our side how to resume that, I mean several things I can think of.

but, I really hope we can have a class, to learn all that. This is probably just 1 or 2 topics to talk about, but I'm sure more sample could help.

Thank for your response.