Xamarin 3.5.55 - builds with build host now take >20 mins rather than 2

FrankBuckleyFrankBuckley ✭✭GBUniversity ✭✭

I have just installed the latest stable updates (Xamarin 3.5.55 on PC, Xamarin.iOS 7.4.0.108 on Mac) and builds in Visual Studio are now taking several times longer than they were.

Using the previous version of Xamarin, builds took a few minutes. Now, they are taking over 20 minutes.

Looking at the build host log, some requests are taking a very long time - e.g. "Request handled in 149140.028ms".

Any ideas?

• AwakenDeveloperAwakenDeveloper USMember
    edited September 2014

I'm experiencing the same thing. Build takes a very very long time. It's really hard to debug anything in Visual Studio for Xamarin.iOS now.

• FrankBuckleyFrankBuckley ✭✭ GBUniversity ✭✭

Apparently, these longer build times on VS are by design - to support incremental builds (which I do not have turned on).

• RanaHossainUKRanaHossainUK LVMember
    edited September 2014

Same thing here; Xamarin 5.3b441 on both PC and Mac, Xamarin.iOS 7.4.0.108, Build Host v7.4.0108

It used to take minutes before and now takes ages; Frank where did you hear it's because of the Incremental builds? I have turned it on, but it doesn't make any difference - and even doesn't make any sense. Looking at Mac Server Log, I see a lot of CopyFile and ExecuteTask (11 minutes so far, and it's still trying to run);

Finally it ran, after 40 minutes

any suggestions anyone? when did it break

The build process did not used to fully compile on the Mac build host unless deploying. Now iOS app projects are always compiled on Mac build host if built in Visual Studio. This will be slower than just the VS compilation step alone. If you have lots of iOS app projects in a solution (as we do), the build time increases n-fold. Even if you disconnect build host, Xamarin for VS keeps trying to reconnect, so build time remains slow.

To speed things up:

• Switch all iOS projects to iPhoneSimulator configuration (and use simulator not device for debugging) - builds for simulator are quicker - still substantially slower than building assemblies on VS alone without completing on build host, but faster than building for device

• Try to avoid building any projects than you need at a time (e.g. don't Rebuild All)

I had a helpful call with Xamarin engineers about the issue. They are proposing to enable disconnection from build host (without the automatic attempts to reconnect) to permit VS builds without build host compilation. You would then reconnect when you want to deploy/debug.

I have not heard when this feature will be available.

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=22681

• RanaHossainUKRanaHossainUK LVMember

thanks Frank; Seems like I am utterly doomed now, thanks to this silly change. I am running only with portable and main iOS project (rest are unloaded); and iPhoneSimulator (not a real device - another bug with mac host that I added elsewhere in this forum where project with FluentValidation fails from VS but works perfectly from Mac) and "Rebuild All" is unchecked.

For the last couple of days, I have been editing in Visual Studio (with resharper), and then copying the changes over (copy-paste code lines) VNC to xamarin studio in mac. Utter nightmare.

Do you know which version made this change. I remember working with a version of V5 without this problem.

Thanks again.

Xamarin 3.6.239.0 (in beta channel now) fixes disconnect to enable faster VS builds when full compilation on Mac not required.