App Freezing In Instruments

I've been trying to profile for memory leaks a few days now, and I finally got the symbols loaded correctly so that I can see meaningful line numbers. However, my app now locks up frequently in the middle of an Instruments run, so I have to stop everything and start over again.

This seems to happen around task-based operations. For example, I have a log-in screen that throws up an activity indicator while the server is authenticating the user. Outside of Instruments everything runs fine. Within Instruments the task never completes and the activity indicator hangs around forever.

Is this a common thing and is there anything I can do to fix it? Would boosting my RAM to 16 gigs (from 8) help out?

• RolfBjarneKvingeRolfBjarneKvinge USXamarin Team Xamurai

There is a known issue with Instruments where Instruments deadlocks the app: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=19379

As far as we've been able to determine, it's a bug in Instruments (no matter what the app does, Instruments shouldn't end up deadlocking it).

• ChaseCarlileChaseCarlile USMember

Thanks for the response. I've found your suggestions here very helpful http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19657116/xamarin-ios-and-instruments-profiling-trouble. I'll follow the bug for updates.

• @RolfBjarneKvinge‌ @ChaseCarlile‌ - Is there any update on this? I'm seeing the same kind of thing where the app seems to hang when doing async task operations. After the user logs in, we launch 5-6 threads via Task.Run to load some data in the background. The app usually hangs at this point, but not always. If I can get past this point, the app will lock up shortly after on another async service call.

• ChaseCarlileChaseCarlile USMember

The only update I'm aware of is in the bugzilla link. Basically it's still an issue in XCode6. I'm hoping the profiler announced today at Evolve won't have these problems. It didn't appear to rely on Instruments in the demo.

• OnurHazarOnurHazar USUniversity ✭✭✭

Problem still remains in XCode 7. I tried with both debug & release modes, no luck. App freezes when it executes async operations during profiling with Instruments. Any workaround?

• ColinDabritzColinDabritz USUniversity ✭✭

This appears to still be an issue on our project, symptoms as described.

• CyrilCathalaCyrilCathala FRMember ✭✭

I have the same problem, Instruments starts the app which then stops and freezes... I can't use any tool to track memory leaks, I have issues with the Xamarin Profiler too, that's really a paint point right now :(

• Aaron.6482Aaron.6482 USMember ✭✭

Thought I would just add that we are struggling with this problem as well. There doesn't seem to be a good option when it comes to profiling memory problems.

• MarkusHornMarkusHorn DEBeta, University
    edited October 2016

I also have the same problems / pian like Cyril:

Instruments starts the app which then stops and freezes... I can't use any tool to track memory leaks, I have issues with the Xamarin Profiler (0.36.0) too, that's really a paint point right now :(

• MattJackMattJack FRMember ✭✭

Same problem with my app... It freezes after few seconds.
    Tried nearly all options in Instruments.
    only checking "Only track VM allocations" will allow the app to launch with Instruments, but results with this options are not really useful.

Any news or comments from Xamarin?

• PrullebakPrullebak NLMember ✭✭

Same here. App freezes when using Instruments... How can we track memory leaks?

• JamesClossJamesCloss GBMember ✭✭

Same here. I'm using loads of async so that could be it. Can't afford Xamarin enterprise to try their profiler!

• Same issue with XCode/Instruments 9.2

• VinothSridharanVinothSridharan USMember ✭✭

Same issue happens with Xcode/Instruments 9.3 ,any solutions or workaround found for this issue?

• puneetmahalipuneetmahali Member ✭✭

I am also facing the same issue app freeze on startup with Xcode/Instruments 10.1. Have someone find the solution for the same?

• EasyEddyEasyEddy USMember ✭✭

Same problem here with Instruments Version 10.1 (10B61)