Forum Xamarin.Forms

Is Xamarin.Forms XAML designer supported on Visual Studio?

Hi!

I've just added a new XAML to a Shared project but it seems not detect the schema and the designer is broken.

Is it a bug or the designer and XAML editing isn't supported on Shared projects at Xamarin.Forms?

Attached images showing the error.

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• GutembergRibeiroGutembergRibeiro BRMember
    edited June 2014

Ok but, why are those red lines into The XAML editor? Just added a new shared Project and added a new XAML file... This doesn't happen on PCL projects, only on shared ones...

• @JasonAwbrey‌ any clues?

• JasonAwbreyJasonAwbrey USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader mod

No idea. I personally don't use the XAML approach.

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

Jason is correct, there is currently no Designer support for Xamarin.Forms on either platform. I am not sure what red lines you are referring to.

• The red lines is the syntax highlight pointing that is an error there... Like if we are are typing the wrong name or that class/namespace doesn't exist...

• RezaMousaviRezaMousavi GBMember
    edited July 2014

Are you using resharper? If so, and you are referring to the "errors" in recognising the xaml partial classes, it could be down to this bug:

http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/RSRP-265402

• Nop I'm not...

• PremNathPremNath USMember

It's Very hard to design without designer view in Xamarin.Forms , any one please give some idea to get designer view and easy designing any ways are there ? please help

• MichaelChengMichaelCheng SGMember ✭✭

Totally agree with Prem. Why push XAML out if it offers nothing better than other alternatives (cs, xml), when it's only advantage is that of the (missing) visual designer. It's counter-productive to compile and deploy to a device just to know how the XAML page looks like.

• MarkMadlangbayanMarkMadlangbayan USUniversity ✭✭

+1 for having a XAML Designer.

• MabuMabu USMember

I also agree with premnath. Please anyone give alternative solution.

• The "lines" in VS are because the VS Xaml designer doesn't understand what you gave it. XF's xmlns is not known to the designer so it has no idea what ContentPage, Label, or the Binding markup extension are or in what assembly the live. Installing Resharper makes VS behave more favorable with XF Xaml.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University admin

At least we have intellisence now in the XAML editor in studio now

• Do we? It was threated as a XML, so it never detects the intellysense etc...

@GutembergRibeiro

Yeah, definitely works with the latest version of Xamarin in VS2013 (Updated4)....on my machine anyway (see attached)

• Finally! We are using 2015 here from a internal MS build. Will check how it behaves. I'll not mark you reply as a answer, just so Xamarin can do something about the designer. It still really necessary. Still hard to see the changes if every line we change we have to compile/deploy/run.

But thank you for the reply, at least some good news.

edited February 2015

@GutembergRibeiro

I 100% agree that some kind of design time experience is important, even if it only shows a rough guess at what the screen may look like (A tabbed approach to show iOS, Android & WinPhone), at least you'd know roughly what it would look like. You'd have to take tablets into account to. I was at Evolve 2014 and attended all of the Xamarin forms talks and there was a lot of questions asking specifically about some sort of design time experience. There is a lot of demand for it. Something would be better than nothing but at least intellisence makes things easier. You do loose time running things on the handset to see how it looks when it's just a basic layout. Coming from a WPF background I'm comfortable hacking about in XAML but if your used to a design experience it's a different story (people moving from Winforms to WPF often find this a hurdle).

Hopefully once they have forms fully stable they can visit these nice to have areas.

• @NMackay
    Yes, we decided to leave away Forms just 'cause of this missing designer. I love the technology but it still unfinished unfortunatelly...

Thanks

@GutembergRibeiro what did you end up using?

• Hello guys,

Just to update you... Just arrived an email from Xamarin with this link: http://blog.xamarin.com/webinar-recording-whats-new-in-xamarin.forms-1.3/

It claims that we have to install MobileEssentials extensions on Visual Studio in order to get Xamarin.Forms Intellisense form here http://www.cazzulino.com/mobileessentials.html

I'm not able to test now, please someone give it a try and share with us.

Thanks

• KevinFordKevinFord USUniversity, Certified XTC Partners ✭✭✭

Feels like the early days of WPF, no designer then either. Intellisense has helped a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if a designer eventually showed up.

• Yes... Bad times :wink:
    I hope Xamarin Team don't take so long to implement it. :blush:

• Yeah, we all need this feature. I posted a suggestion on the Xamarin UserVoice : https://xamarin.uservoice.com/forums/144858-xamarin-product-suggestions/suggestions/6716840-blend-for-xamarin

• +3 on it. I think Blend would be awesome but, they have to start from somewhere...

They need have intellisense first by themselves. It is not a big deal. Just a matter of implement a LanguageService and a lexer on Visual Studio. There are tons of examples already working, just modify one of those.

After they have pure XAML editor working, they can follow 2 paths:

1. Use the already created Xamarin Designer for iOS porting it to support XAML. It should not hurt, since the designer already create XML files for the iOS Storyboards.
    2. Integrate with VS designer, which today, is nothing more than Blend canvas integrated on it.

+3 as well.

edited February 2015

My guess is that if they're making a XAML designer, it will be for Xamarin Studio first. It seems that it's the trend with this company. To say that devs using VS are paying almost $700 more per platform is a bummer.

• Well, I don't really like it... But things can change... I see a lot of movement between Microsoft and Xamarin... Also, Visual Studio full is Free now on the community edition...

@GutembergRibeiro, I hope so.

• @GutembergRibeiro, I heard that XAML intellisense for Xamarin.Forms is near to be done (if it is not done now).

The fact is I am a Microsoft fan so Blend was the best tool for me to implement XAML interaction with Xamarin.Forms. If a tool is directly integrated in Xamarin Studio, why not, but that's not the great way to work for me.

And, whatever, Blend is free with VS 2015 (or VS 2013 Community Edition) so I don't see what could be better. :)

Also, the big difficulty seems to be the iOS editor. And again, I think this could be achieved in a while since Microsoft is working on Cross-Platform technologies directly integrated in VS (like Visual C++ Cross-Platform).

• Yes, no one but me knows that :) I used to work on Microsoft from the past 10 years :)

• F_Z_14F_Z_14 USMember

Visual Studio or Xamarin Studio still does not support designer for Xamarin.Forms?

• TomSoderlingTomSoderling USUniversity ✭✭✭

Yes, that's correct.

In this Gone Mobile Podcast, the interviewer asked @TheRealJasonSmith (Xamarin.Forms lead dev.) if a designer is in the works. He couldn't say much about it, but did mention there is a Visual Studio extension that will live-preview XAML as you type it. He also mentioned that "a full-on designer would be a fantastic idea" ... ;) So, there you go.
    The extension is written by @DanielCazzulino and I believe he's referring to this one: https://github.com/MobileEssentials/FormsPlayer

• PabloGermanoPabloGermano UYMember ✭✭

Hey guys! We are about to realease a Beta of Gorilla Player - Xamarin Forms XAML preview.
    Please check it out.

www.gorillaplayer.com

Cheers!

• TomSoderlingTomSoderling USUniversity ✭✭✭

@PabloGermano - Awesome! Would love to see this

• alawialawi USMember

Excellent @PabloGermano

• DonReddDonRedd USMember

@PabloGermano - I would love to see also. I signed up for the beta - but haven't heard anything yet. I am new to Xamarin - Forms, NOT Xamarin and was VERY disappointed when i saw that there was no Designer support. What a pity - very nice technology. But, speaking for myself - if I can simply get "anything" that will let me preview the xaml, I'm good.

• PabloGermanoPabloGermano UYMember ✭✭

@DonRedd thanks for your subscription :) You should get a download link and credentials in the next 24hrs or less.
    Oh! Don't forget to check on your -spam- folder!

Thank you :)

• DonReddDonRedd USMember

@PabloGermano - got it yesterday, been so busy - haven't had time to install it yet, but i will get to it tonight.

PS: When it goes "Gold" - will there be a charge? Looks great, would probably buy it if there is a charge.

Thanks,
    Don