32kb Limit is pointless

DarrenMunsonDarrenMunson GBMember

Hi,

I recently installed monotouch, and was evaluating, but having installed Xamarin Studio, not I cannot compile or test anything without a trial licence. The only thing that compiles is hello world! Cannot look at anything with SQLite.

Also, disapointed that Visual Studio support is not in indie edition.

As an indie, i wanted to do a bit of development to test the environment before buying a licence, now I am limited to a short trial period.

Personally, I preferred the old licensing scheme, I won't be able to afford $999 per platform. The indie pricing is OK, but why exclude Visual Studio support???

• JonathanPryorJonathanPryor USXamarin Team Xamurai

Cannot look at anything with SQLite.

That's odd; Mono.Data.Sqlite.dll should be usable and shouldn't count toward the 32KB limit.

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast USXamarin Team Xamurai

I think he meant Frank Krueger's SQLite-net ORM binding.

That said, we are working on a fix to make it such that SQLite-net doesn't count toward the 32KB limit.

• DarrenMunsonDarrenMunson GBMember

I have been looking at some of your samples, such as Tasky, and even CreateDatabaseWithSqliteNet, which is really basic, using the Praeclarum Sqlite code library, cannot compile them.

The limit seems to be just too restrictive. I have signed up for the 30 day trial now anyway. I have other questions, but I will raise them separately.

• medenizmedeniz CHMember

I faced with the same problem. Any solution for that?

• DeepmistDeepmist USMember

I can't run any pre-built apps with the starter license, that's pretty frustrating.

• StuartLodgeStuartLodge USBeta ✭✭✭

I did try to get MvvmCross working in the Starter version - but there was no chance.

The top 3 Hot items on http://xamarin.uservoice.com/forums/144858-xamarin-suggestions are all on this topic - please add your voices there.

Team-Xam are clearly listening - e.g. I think the exclusion of common modules like SQLite-net will help :)

• responsifiresponsifi CAMember

I've hit the same wall here when trying to evaluate with the Starter version - I've tried MonoGame and Tasky. Any word on a fix/update for this? There were similar issues dating back since February.

Regardless, I really appreciate your work and involvement on resolving this, Team Xamarin.

• I've a separate thread going on in the Xamarin Studio forum
    http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/9908

Feel free to weigh in there.

Basically it's not a 32kb size but rather a limit on the lines of code used throughout the entire project (including references libs)

The discussion goes through some details of how Xamarin are going to improve the starter edition including adding exceptions to registered libraries and components so they will not be included in the line count.

But even so, starter edition is still going to be very limited. Xamarin state it's not just a POC tool and are just looking for the right balance for their free offering.