Can I use Xamarin Studio for developing iOS,Android and Windows on Windows Machine ?

Krishna.1558Krishna.1558 USMember

Hi I am new to HERE. Can I use Xamarin Studio for developing iOS,Android and Windows on Windows Machine ? Bcz i downloaded Xamarin studio and tried to create iOs project. it is not showing in New Project panel. can any one tell me as soon as possible

• ShivasJayaramShivasJayaram USMember

From what I know:

Xamarin Studio for windows can be used only for Android development on Windows.

Xamarin Studio for Mac can be used to develop both Android and iOS apps on Mac.

If you have Xamarin Buisness or higher, you can use Visual Studio on Windows to create iOS, Android, and Windows phone apps.

• rmaciasrmacias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014

If you have Xamarin Buisness or higher, you can use Visual Studio on Windows to create iOS, Android, and Windows phone apps.

Just some clarification. If you have Xamarin for Business, you have can install the Xamarin Visual Studio Plug-in. This allows you to create Android apps and iOS apps using Visual Studio. However, in the case of iOS, you STILL NEED A MAC to act as your build host. Visual Studio will connect to the Mac to compile the (.ipk) file. It will also connect to the Mac to run the iOS Simulator and run your code on any iOS device connected to the Mac. As awesome as it would be to do this all through Windows, Apple licensing restricts Xamarin or any other company from doing this. This is why a Mac is needed. In the case of Windows Phone Apps, you need Visual Studio Express or above. You can share business logic, data layers, models, View Models, etc with iOS, Android, and Windows Phone (through PCLs or file sharing)

http://developer.xamarin.com/guides/ios/getting_started/installation/windows/introduction_to_xamarin_ios_for_visual_studio/

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

To add on to what @rmacias said, be aware that the Xamarin Visual Studio Plug-in does not work with Express editions of Visual Studio. Express editions don't support plug-ins.

• rmaciasrmacias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, @DaveHunt‌ is correct. Though you can create WP apps with Express, you'll need VS Pro or above because the VS Express Editions do not support any plug-ins.