I know there is TextToSpeech

TextToSpeech.SpeakAsync("你好");

but nothing happend.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity admin
    Accepted Answer

@LeonLu said:
    Is there a Google play service on your device? And change your device's language to Chinese.

That raises an interesting question. Is the Android version of the Xamarin Forms Essentials' TextToSpeech dependent upon having access to Google Play Services? If so, that might mean that the feature cannot be used in some parts of the world where access to Google Play Store is restricted. If that's the case, that should probably be included in the TextToSpeech documentation.

Answers

edited February 20

@lescper said:
    can it speak texts in xamarin.forms?

I know there is TextToSpeech

TextToSpeech.SpeakAsync("你好");

but nothing happend.

Have you tried specifying the locale (and other SpeechOptions properties)?
    See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/essentials/text-to-speech#speech-locales

• lescperlescper Member ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnHardman I can not use Continuswith to GetLocaclesAsync
    and If I not do this there will be an error that failed to initialize the TextToSpeech

Failed to initialize Text to Speech engine.

@lescper said:
    @JohnHardman I can not use Continuswith to GetLocaclesAsync
    and If I not do this there will be an error that failed to initialize the TextToSpeech

To investigate your original question, hardcode the locale and other SpeechOptions temporarily, and make sure that any calls to TextToSpeech are done sequentially on one thread. There's no point doing anything more complex until the simplest case works. Stick with simple use of await rather than adding ContinuesWith and ConfigureAwait when doing the initial test.

If that works, the next step will be to get hold of the locale rather than hardcoding it.

Only after that works, would I try to do anything more complex. My guess is that you have two things going on currently, a need to specify the locale (and possibly other SpeechOptions), and possibly a threading issue. There's no way of knowing though until the simple test is done

I tried that use await instead of ContinuesWith it is not work.

and I put the code to mainactivity to put get the locale and save it to a static variale

it still can not work.

failed to initialize the text speech engine

• LeonLuLeonLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Is there a Google play service on your device? And change your device's language to Chinese.

Xamarin forums are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    We invite you to post new questions in the Xamarin forums’ new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    For more information, please refer to this sticky post.

No. I am using 应用商店

@lescper

@LeonLu said:
    Is there a Google play service on your device?

If you put Japanese text into the Google Text-to-Speech app at
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.tts&hl=en_GB&gl=US
    is it spoken on your device correctly?

If so, that tells us that your device is set up correctly.

你好

Accepted Answer

@LeonLu said:

That raises an interesting question. Is the Android version of the Xamarin Forms Essentials' TextToSpeech dependent upon having access to Google Play Services? If so, that might mean that the feature cannot be used in some parts of the world where access to Google Play Store is restricted. If that's the case, that should probably be included in the TextToSpeech documentation.

Oh I see Then I can not use it.

I can use something to play a audio file right?